cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird latest updates: tags & "get mail" disappearance and date/time relocation

user_jx
Making moves

Hi!

I want to share my thoughts (and frustration tbh) regarding the latest changes in Thurnderbird.

I was extensively using tags to color the messages I needed to review later, and it was a really really really useful tool. I was very disappointed to see that the tagging doesn't color the messages, and I honestly cannot think of a reason why this should be a needed change. Did someone complain about this feature? Did it cause any trouble to someone? I really cannot understand the disappearance of tag coloring.

Also, the disappearance of the "get mail" button from the mail toolbar was another useful tool that I miss too much. I thought that an update would add the so much-wanted "get all" feature, but instead, the button was completely gone from the toolbar!! Why??

And the last thing I struggle to get used to is the relocation of the date/time of each message in the inbox list from left to right. It is nice that it is now written in smaller fonts and is located in the upper corner of the line, but I am so used to seeing it on the left that I am quite disoriented every time I open my inbox, even after so many days since the change. I find the date/time information equally -or even more- important as the subject of the message, so being the first thing to see (if you read from left to right) is quite important and time-saving for me.

Allow me to quote @Zurdo that describes my exact thoughts on the latest changes in a far better way than I will ever be able to:

If I'm already a TB user, I'm not bound to want an UI change. It's disorienting to open a program that I trust specifically because of how little it changes (i.e.: how predictable it is), and suddenly find the UI so aggressively different. I believe if it was only the positioning changes or the styling changes alone I'd feel less strongly, but both at the same time felt frustrating. I personally consider it a good gesture, and well-thought software maintainership, when changes like this, which are mostly user-revertable anyways, are only implemented for new installs, with existing installs staying as-is. Maybe add a doorhanger or w/e those are called telling me hey, we've got a new design, want to check it out, which I might be receptive to if given the choice first.

Thunderbird new design: improve "cranky old user recovery" path 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wsmwk
Thunderbird Team
Thunderbird Team

Thank you for posting.

You are apparently using the beta version.  What is currently on beta is a major refresh with some big changes and is still in developement, so it is being finished and improved.

So let me preface this response by pointing you to the release notes https://www.thunderbird.net/notes/beta/ - there is much information there, including why this release is different and will be incomplete for a few more weeks, plus pointers to a beta forum.

> I was very disappointed to see that the tagging doesn't color the messages, 

I suspect ...  you are using Vertical View?  There is a bug.  Should be fixed soon.

> get mail" button from the mail toolbar

Unified toolbar is still being improved.

> relocation of the date/time of each message in the inbox list from left to right

Here too, sounds like you are using Vertical View?   Your idea might be a good one. I suggest you submit it as its own Thunderbird idea at https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/idb-p/ideas/label-name/thunderbird/

Hope this helps

Wayne, Community Manager, Thunderbird

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

wsmwk
Thunderbird Team
Thunderbird Team

Thank you for posting.

You are apparently using the beta version.  What is currently on beta is a major refresh with some big changes and is still in developement, so it is being finished and improved.

So let me preface this response by pointing you to the release notes https://www.thunderbird.net/notes/beta/ - there is much information there, including why this release is different and will be incomplete for a few more weeks, plus pointers to a beta forum.

I suspect ...  you are using Vertical View?  There is a bug.  Should be fixed soon.

> relocation of the date/time of each message in the inbox list from left to right

Here too, sounds like you are using Vertical View?   Your idea might be a good one. I suggest you submit it as its own Thunderbird idea at https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/idb-p/ideas/label-name/thunderbird/

Hope this helps

Wayne, Community Manager, Thunderbird

Thank you for the informative reply.

@wsmwk wrote:

Yes, I am using the beta version. The main reason why I made this post was exactly because Thunderbird is in beta version, hoping that these features that I find annoying will not be considered improvements, but things that need fixing.

@wsmwk wrote:

Thank you very much

@wsmwk wrote:

Yes, I have been using the vertical view for some years now and I find it very convenient. Good to read that the tag coloring bug will be fixed.
I just changed to Classic view to check if tag coloring works and I wish I knew that 2 months ago. Thank you!!

Regarding the unified toolbar, I really hope that one of the improvements will be the addition of the "Get all mail" or at least the "Get mail" buttons.

@wsmwk wrote:

Hope this helps

Thank you, I will!

You helped a lot, thanks!

LAYNA8
Making moves

I AGREE! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MULTI-COLOR TAG TAB IN THUNDERBIRD! I JUST UPDATED MY THUNDERBIRD & IT'S GONE...I NEED IT FOR MY WORK!...THUNDERBIRD, YOU'VE MADE A HUGE ERROR IN REMOVING THE TAGS TAB.

WE NEED IT! PLEASE RETURN IT TO THE THUNDERBIRD EMAIL PROGRAM, THANKYOU!...L.

I agree.  I'm using the traditional view.  Clicking on one of my Tag colors does color the message; BUT, when I  return after having closed TB, to COLORED TAG is no longer colored.

To me, that is a BAD BUG.  I'm sure that many use TAG COLOR to aid in organizing and working thru email.

NOTE:  It would be nice to add a FEATURE which would allow sorting of emails using the TAG COLOR (?Number?).