cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla should partner with Huawei to make Firefox the default browser on Huawei devices

ADGrimes
Making moves

I'm not sure if this should be an idea or a discussion. Given that Huawei is having to develop it's own browser application now that they don't have Chrome pre-installed anymore, I wonder if any thought has been put into Mozilla creating a partnership with Huawei, so that they could have Firefox pre-installed and made the default browsing application on all new Huawei Android/HarmonyOS and Windows devices.

Although Huawei doesn't have access to Google services anymore, they still have a huge active user base, and I would've thought that this would be a great way to rapidly increase the amount of active Firefox users.

7 REPLIES 7

joseferreira_ms
Making moves

Firefox don't have any browser for Smartwatch... Incomplete solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should understand The Mozilla Manifesto.

I believe that having more Firefox users via Huawei devices, rather than them using just another Chromium based browser, would help to maintain a healthy internet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Mozilla is working for the public benefit, it should not side with any particular for-profit company.

I wouldn't describe it as siding with a company. It's working in partnership with a company to help break Google's monopoly in the browsing market. Both Huawei and Mozilla (and the general public) would benefit from less Google in people's lives. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You know that the relationship between Mozilla and Amazon has collapsed. Do you think Huawei is more reliable than Amazon? Breaking Google's monopoly should be a means to an end, not an end in itself.

As long as Huawei didn't request any changes to the Firefox application such as additional permissions, I don't see what the problem would be.

I believe it is certainly something that should at least be explored, as currently Huawei users are getting a subpar browsing experience by default, and Mozilla are missing a great opportunity to increase their market share whilst Huawei doesn't have an optimal default browsing experience.