cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g7240

Data falsification through randomization should be added to Firefox built-in fingerprint protection.
It would be nice if there were the possibility to spoof some data sent back to websites.

A randomized fingerprint would be a nice new feature for the browser.

At the moment there are only some add-ons, like Chameleon, which provide user agent randomization and some kind of spoofing like, font fingerprint or screen size spoof. The functionality should be a Firefox built-in.

Firefox  

7 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

@Jon 

When will you be able to develop the ability to randomize fingerprints?There are many kinds of fingerprints, such as canvas, webgl, font, audio, clientrects, timezone, your randomized fingerprint function should be able to achieve random changes for all fingerprints, and each visit to a website, the fingerprint must be different

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

Fingerprint randomization

Firefox should learn from Brave's approach to resisting fingerprinting. The brave browser is a different fingerprint every time it is launched, and although the fingerprint is unique, the fingerprint can change randomly each time it is launched, which can activate the role of anti-fingerprint tracking. I know from other users that Firefox's anti-fingerprint approach is to make each browser fingerprint less unique. Therefore, after setting privacy.resistFingerprint to true, Firefox cannot be maximized when it starts, you set the same width and height to the browser, but this does not make sense, because the user will still maximize the browser, you set the same width and height will affect the user experience, the best way to resist fingerprint recognition is a random fingerprint like Brave. I hope you will seriously consider my suggestions

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager
key1
Making moves

Great idea and very much inline with what Firefox should continue to do: good privacy.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)

RobotoSkunk

I think that this is something that is really missing with Firefox, and it's one of the many reasons of why Firefox always fails with EFF's fingerprinting detection website.

Tor Browser and Brave managed to hide browser fonts without breaking anything, so it's not that impossible. They just need to be hidden for JavaScript and report either a null or random value.