cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla Thunderbird issues with Outlook Accounts

Mizar
Familiar face

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to have this addressed but i'm having issues with Outlook email accounts in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Apparently is keeps on asking for the password even though it has been memorized.

The version number is

115.7.0 (64-bit)

95 REPLIES 95

The accounts are already using "Normal password" -  there isn't  an OAuth2 option listed for them.  Also, although that command-line output speaks of SSL/TLS on port 465, the smtp server is actually set for STARTTLS on 587.  But I don't know how the Curl command works, so that may not be relevant to anything. I'm not sure anyone understands what's going on here - I certainly don't.

This morning when I booted the accounts weren't showing any of my test emails after midnight-ish last night (although todays were showing on my phone).  Then about 2.30pm, emails arrived, and the accounts were sending and receiving normally again.  For how long, I'll have to wait and see.

Then why not set the authorizing option to SSL/TLS?

Authorisation was set to SSL/TLS until a few days ago; when Gadget Rescue took over they changed it to STARTTLS, and when I queried it with them assured me that STARTTLS was what the automatic setup was advising, and so leave it at that (I'm far from convinced that they know what they're talking about).  I have tried going back to SSL/TLS today, and it makes no difference to the problem.

Something I'm not sure about is whether VM server takes some time to register and implement such changes.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Mizar.

I just wish I could've done more, hope you'll find a solution.

cardloser
Making moves

This issue seems to have been resolved in Betterbird. Check this out: https://www.betterbird.eu/

WanderingTravel
Making moves

Having the SAME issues again. Just going to try betterbird, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

@stephenc wrote:

I had a scarey email from Microsoft saying they were making  OAuth2 Compulsory from September this year.

No OAuth2, no email!

I wonder why, as I am already set up with it, so why send me a scary email???

In addtion, take a look at
https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/recent-microsoft-announcement-about-using-outlook-or-lose...
https://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=3122841

Just received the same Ransomware email from Microsoft - the 'bug' bemoaned in the above enormous thread - which I suffer from today - is clearly intentional by MS to force ppl to use Outlook and be sucked into their ecosystem - exactly why I use TB in the first place, first to keep work and life separate and basically to avoid the MS venal idiocy of 'saas'.

For sure I'm now faced with the arduous task of migrating many accounts linked to Outlook (live, hotmail or whatever new name MS come up with). But so fed up with MS, gonna do it eventually.

BUT IF TB DON'T GET A GRIP ON THIS, MANY PEOPLE WILL DRIFT AWAY IN SEARCH OF AN EMAIL CLIENT THAT WORKS.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

Allow me to ask a question

Update your sign-in technology before September 16th, 2024 to maintain email access.
What is the relationship with Thunderbird?

Modern Authentication Methods now needed to continue syncing Outlook Email in non-Microsoft email apps
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-sync...

But, apparently Microsoft OAuth2 does not work with Thunderbird 91 and 102.
By way of illustration https://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14980346#p14980346

GeeMac
Making moves

re ya go  MS wants everyone to buy Outlook or lose your emails.  I followed the stems and it al lmade things worse.  They aslo made the pictures hard to read so you throw your hands up and say Okay.. I'll pay $300 a year for their garbage.    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-sync...

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

1.png

As far as I'm concerned, it's already done.

noNeedFORgps
Making moves

So the first few times I switched to "OAuth2" ([both in "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" and in "Server Settings --> Edit SMTP server..."]) it still gave me the same problem by continuing to ask for my outlook-dot-com password, while still working regardless but also lagging the crap out of Thunderbird.

I looked around at a lot of threads out there, and finally found the email sent by Microsoft (the article from Microsoft said this email was sent on the 11th.... I seemed to receive it at 1:32AM on the 28th of June 🙄) that has a recently added link directly containing directions about setting up Thunderbird: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-sync...

Oddly enough as soon as I read that article, and setup OAuth2 again-again-once again.... restarting Outlook finally opened up to this classic Windows account login page you should find familiar. I'm assuming this AuthO setting simply takes a little bit of time to register with Microsoft? It didn't work the first few times, and I couldn't explain why! But this is the "modern login requirement" concept that Microsoft is soon to mandate to use any third-party app:

1. https://nlaquerregis.com/downloads/outlookLogin_thunderbird.png

2. https://nlaquerregis.com/downloads/outlookLogin_thunderbird2.png

(These pics are hosted on my domain, they're safe!)

Again you want these to show up after starting Thunderbird, by THUNDERBIRD'S own actions automatically. Afterwards you'll see Thunderbird show up within your Microsoft Account Dashboard under "Privacy > App Access" or (because Microsoft loves making multiple avenues that do the same thing 🙄🤯), another Microsoft account page with the heading "Apps and services you've given access". They'll also email you after properly setting it up with a subject: "New app(s) connected to your Microsoft account".

I hope this helps! Eventually it worked for me, all you have to do is switch over to the OAuth2 and find apparently. Good luck.

chris451_hotmai
Making moves

Thunderbird outgoing server for outlook was added.

outlook

smtp-mail.outlook.com

port 587

conn security starttls

auth method kerberos/gssapi because there is no choice for oath2 i the security and authentication
I have a token stored and Imap works.
I can write a message in imap outlook email and save it as a draft
I can go to web based outlook and its logged in from the token
I can send the draft from there, but thunderbird can't send it directly<
connection seems to fail.
Checed firewall there was an instance of thunderbird.exe that I added internet access to.
I cant set it correctly because in smtp server there is no 'oath2' choice in authentication method.
versioin 128.0.1esr 64bit. 'nebula'.

Messages are received via imap.
Drafts are synced to outlook.
Sending on outlook is enabled I think.
Receiving via thunderbird is enabled on outlook and messages come in fine
thunderbird can send messages via gmail.com
Thunderbird can't send messages from working smtp servers if the from does not match the account.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

Enter the correct server names, then restart TB and change to OAuth2 ?
(e.g.) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1417298#answer-1588949

Grigoris
Making moves

Same here with latest version 115.14.0 64bit

This is make thunderbird really hard to work with.

Really to hard.

I think to change to another multimail program.

Does anyone find a solution to this?

I even try to total uninstall(Even registry values) and re-install from start the thunderbird all my mail accounts with oauth2 but still at hotmail/outlook mail accounts always asking me passwords or failed to verify.

But at other mails like gmail or yahoo work fine.

TAGarrison
Making moves

I don't know how well this will be received, but through this entire thread I did not see anything about using POP3 as opposed to IMAP.

There is nothing IMAP does that you cannot get with POP3. I've been using POP3 (and previous versions) since the early 90's. I hate IMAP.
I'm also a Web developer. I set up clients with POP3 and, with some simple tricks, get people using POP3 "like" IMAP and they are very happy.

I have a MS account and have for many years. Today, after a couple of "hiccups" the last couple of days with Outlook it's throw the errors. I didn't change anything except the OAuth2. I knew my credentials were correct.
After that simple change everything is working 100%.

At least "consider" using POP3. You can still set up any POP3 account to allow multiple devices to check the same account.

Using a POP3 allows you to keep the mail off the server if you set it up correctly. Every "X" days / weeks (your choice), you use 1 device to download the mail using a POP3 account that does not leave the mail on the server. All other devices leave the mail on the server.

I use 18 completely different E-mail accounts and only use Thunderbird which I just updated to 115.15 and checked everything. All is well and no errors. I can "send" mail through any of the accounts I have. But I usually send through the account to which the message was sent.
If Outlook throws a fit about me "sending" through Outlook, I'll set the account to use a different outgoing account.

E-mail has always been the most complicated service since computers were available for the general public. And it's not any easier today than it was in 1992.
It's simple for me because I've been using E-mail since then. I'm a developer so I stay up on "how to" with E-mail when settings need to change.

Thunderbird is NOT the problem! And the suggestion to use that T-Bird alternative is a really bad idea. Regardless of your situation, there IS a fix for your E-mail. It's not you and it's not T-Bird. Companies like Microsoft will make changes and only tell people about the change through some obscure post...in "their" system. So you won't see it if you search or never log in to Outlook.com

I use Gmail, Outlook and several different domains that are using hosted E-mail servers. I have 1 program that checks every one of the accounts on ever server. After I check mail with that program I download the mail I want with Thunderbird. So if anybody is going to come up against a problem, it would be me.

Just a suggestion to everybody. POP3 is free. IMAP can be costly if you deal with a lot of E-mail daily. IMAP is only free until you haven't cleared out the server in a while and you go over your limit.