cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library windows is ridiculously wide now !

Steve1
Making moves

Over the last few updates the library window has gotten wider and wider every time. Now I've got 107.0, it's massive, almost 40% of my screen width ! If the resize allowed me to make it smaller, that'd be fine, but it doesn't as it shows it's as small as it will go. I'm only interested in one column (name) so the rest is just a huge expanse of blank space that.

Is there some sort of "about:flags" that I can change to make this usable again ?

2 REPLIES 2

jscher2000
Leader

Hi Steve, in Firefox 107, the starting width/height of 700x500 was changed to a minimum width/height. This might have been a mistake, but I don't know how soon we could expect it to be corrected.

There is an unofficial (community-supported) workaround, which is to override the minimum width and height with your own values. If you are bit handy with files, here's how you implement that:

(For anyone who already has a userChrome.css file set up, you just need to add the rule under (A) to your file.)

(A) Select and copy the following style rule code

/* Override Library Window Minimum Dimensions */
window#places {
min-width: 100px !important;
min-height: 50px !important;
}

(B) Generate and download a userChrome.css file

Open the following page on my website and paste the above rules into the editor, either replacing the sample rule or adding the new one at the end if you want to keep the sample rules:

https://www.userchrome.org/download-userchrome-css.html

Then click "Generate CSS File" and save the userChrome.css file to your computer. Use the downloads list on the toolbar to open the downloads folder directly to the new userChrome.css file. (See attached screenshot)

Minimize that file browser window for later reference.

(C) Create a new chrome folder in your profile folder

The following article has the detailed steps for that (#1, #2, and I recommend #3)

https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-userchrome-css.html

I have videos for both Windows and Mac in case the text is not clear.

(D) Move the userChrome.css file you downloaded in Step B into the chrome folder you created in Step C

(E) Set Firefox to look for userChrome.css at startup -- see step #6 in the above article (this is not in the old videos, sorry).

The next time you exit Firefox and start it up again, it should discover that file and apply the rule.

Success?

Once you start tweaking the interface this way, you'll probably find more and more things you want to do. I suggest bookmarking the pages where you get the code for future reference, because changes to Firefox may break them and it's easier to request an update if you can find the source.

Regretfully, just updated to Firefox v107.0. And wtf, here we go again: among other, seemingly arbitrary changes, the ‘Library’ window can no longer be reduced in size without modifying FFox code.

Please note: I really do appreciate your posting a remedy to the 'library' window resize issue. It just grinds me that, once again, a workaround must be found to correct a stupid UI decision.

You folks at Mozilla do realize that FFox is often is used as a WORK tool much like how a trades-worker uses a hammer? That change for the sake of change - especially stupid or arbitrary change - is the dumbest thing? Like forcing a tradie to use a different type of hammer (maul, claw, leather, etc.) each workday, where is the benefit in forcing a huge 'library' window on the user?!?

Leave the UI alone!!! Or, at the very least, give the user the option to say NO to UI changes.

Useful tools need to be stable, both internally (the engine) and externally (UI) is critical. And working front line tech support, I'd argue an unchanging UI is most important for a smooth, efficient, workflow.

And fixing stupid UI decisions by messing with "style rule" code isn't the answer!

[See also, other stupid or arbitrary decisions: replacing the default FFox print dialog with the familiar OS print dialog; disabling annoying and intrusive push notifications; disabling annoying and intrusive 'update' notifications; disabling the annoying 'file download' dialog; fix work-stoppingly slow 'sync';... the list goes on and on]

Again: Please leave the UI alone!!! Or give users the option to say NO.

Or, here's a thought: give users the ability to opt-in to UI changes.