cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox for Android v122 high battery usage

allabouteve
Making moves

Hi members,

After updating my Firefox to version 122.0 (latest at the time of writing this), I have noticed a significant battery drain on my Samsung Galaxy A24. I believe the battery drain is due to the background CPU usage by the app which is higher than other frequent apps that I use. I do not keep tabs open in browser nor extensively use the browser as compared to other apps. 

Few details that might help developers

- Handset: Samsung Galaxy A24 4G
- Google Play System Update: 1 November 2023
- Addons: uBlock Origin, TWP-Translate Web Pages, Google Search Fixer

Share your thoughts or suggest a fix. Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

Vibi
Making moves

I am also noticing this. It has used 39% of my battery since last charge with 1hr 52min running in the background and only 11min of screen time... which is odd since I only use mobile browsers in private/incognito mode, and it should be auto-closing. For now, I'm going to try setting it to restricted battery mode as I don't need any mobile browsers running in the background anyway.

The annoying thing with background usage limit is the refresh of opened tabs eveytime you briefly exit the app

allabouteve
Making moves

:: Update ::

This seems to be a deeper issue. The battery restriction mode (background usage limit) did not help so I installed Brave browser to use it temporarily. I kept Firefox, force stopped, deleted cache and put it in deep sleep and have not used it at all. This should, theoratically, disable the app, but to my surprise it is still running in background and consuming CPU resources.

Now what's left is uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. If the issue persist, I will report this bug on bugzilla.

theagentsmith
Making moves

I have noticed my phone got noticeably hotter and draining battery faster than the usual while watching YouTube videos on Firefox 122.

Hope it can be fixed soon

Mizar
Familiar face

Do you have sync enabled?

If so, try to disable it.

theagentsmith
Making moves

I have signed out of sync, let's see

Vibi
Making moves

Will also be trying to disable sync. Setting it to restricted battery does not seem to have made any impact.

edit-
Disabling sync has not made a difference on my end. I'm wondering if Android is misreporting the usage and using Firefox as a catchall for some other apps or services. I'm going to try uninstalling for a day and seeing if the drain is the same.

I am experiencing the same issue on my Pixel 7 Pro. I have 51 minutes of screen time, which 5 minutes of those were spent on Firefox and its way ahead of any other apps that I've used so far, with even more screen time

Mizar
Familiar face

These battery spikes are also massive on my end.

Will uninstall and see what happens as well.

michaelsmith
Making moves

I also notice that when I am using the firefox browser on my mobile. So, in a few minutes my phone is very drain and heat. Suddenly, the battery is quickly start to down and after that mobile is switched off.

Mizar
Familiar face

Well, the battery spikes are gone.

So much for the mobile experience.

skast
Making moves

Same here, my phone (Pixel 7) is on flight mode while sleeping and Firefox is the only app that is draining the battery.

captain_flint
Making moves

Same issue for me on a Pixel 7 Pro. I used it for 22 minutes and its reporting 42% battery drain. Any plans for a fix?

rafaelf
Making moves

I had the same problem and ended up uninstalling the app. Now I noticed in PlayStore that Firefox has been updated to version 123.0. Does that solve the issue?

Only one way of finding out...

No it doesn't. If anything it's even worse - 12 mins of screentime on FF used 21% of battery!

Not solved... I have to desinstall FF for now

rva60481
Making moves

Same thing for me since FF 122.0 and 123.0 :

High battery drain, phone and tab overheat when I watch video on Youtube (with ublock) !

I have noticed same thing with my phone and my 2 tablets :

S24 Ultra - Galaxy Tab S9 and Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra !

And last thing : Youtube video "lags" (10 FPS max). I have to pause the video and then restart it to get a smooth image...

I'm sure it comes from the last 2 versions of Firefox... nothing with FF 121.0

rva60481
Making moves

I installed Firefox 121.1.0 from Aptoide and no more battery drain with youtube...

Edit : I spoke too fast, battery drain starts again (2000mAh vs 800mAh usually on my S9), but no more lags !

What about in general? Does it drain battery with just general browsing the same way F 122 and above does?

I think so...

But I will continue my research, and I suspect Android 14 compatibility issues with FF 122 and 123.

I will follow the list of developments since version 122

Votterbin
Making moves

I was experiencing the same on my S22 Ultra, went all the way back to v115 and haven't had any issues. I'll wait a few months and see if it's improved at all by that point

mlargo
Making moves

reducing battery drain should be the priority for the mobile teams of firefox!

I understand this takes work to accomplish but please focus on this.

MythEng
Making moves

Same thing happening on my Pixel 6 Pro with version 123.0 and I haven't even opened Firefox this today...

I tried restricting it's battery usage on device but it's still using around 30% of my battery and I may end up having to uninstall it for the time being.