Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing Colour to Firefox Mobile

darcese
Employee
Employee

Hello, Mozilla community!

I’m Daniela Arcese and I am the product manager of Firefox for iOS. I would love to chat with you about how we can help make Firefox mobile your most personal browser.

How can we use colour to make the mobile browser feel more personal and engaging for you?

Some ideas:

• What areas of Firefox mobile would you like to be able to customize?
  • Do you have a favourite mobile app that lets you add colour? How does it improve your experience?
  • Do you use Firefox desktop themes? What prompts you to change your theme?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am satisfied with current Firefox for iOS. It has its technical limitations, so please don't waste resources on it.

s1fly
Familiar face

Although I am an iOS user, I appreciate the work Google has done with Material You on Android, especially how the UI takes colour cues from the wallpaper.

I appreciate that iOS doesn't have that level of customisation, but if Firefox iOS could have more wallpaper options so UI elements to take on colour cues, that could be really nice. In fact it would be interesting for Firefox to team up with artists to offer wallpapers celebrating some of the Mozilla healthy internet manifesto and other values. There's something quite powerful in communicating through art and if the UI follows suit then it becomes a personal message "This is my Firefox and this is what I believe the internet should look like" or something to that effect.

Thanks for the feedback!
If you are willing to share, I am curious to hear more about your Firefox wallpaper usage. Do you remember how you discovered the feature? Did you pick one wallpaper and stick with it or do you like to discover new ones?

Sure! I think I discovered Firefox wallpaper either from the release notes or the App Store. I did pick one wallpaper as the colour scheme resonated with me and although I've checked for new ones time to time, I haven't replaced my original choice. It would be nice to find seasonal alternatives or similar.

Pandora
Making moves

What I would like of we could add custom wallpapers to Firefox (Both Android and iOS), would be nice.

Thank you for your idea! The team will definitely consider this as we improve our wallpaper feature.

s1fly
Familiar face

@darceseI don't know if you saw this, but the other day the Thunderbird team showed off some wonderful wallpapers on Twitter, using the Midjourney AI. Looks like they've written a blog post about it:

https://blog.thunderbird.net/2022/08/we-asked-ai-to-create-these-beautiful-thunderbird-wallpapers/

I think this could be amazing for Firefox, using something in a similar vein with a new one released every month or quarter.

Thanks for sharing!

benlimanto
Making moves

I think it's okay to have colour, it should be able to change the colour on URL bar on Mobile and the menu theme also, the last thing should be the responsiveness of the UI rather than the ability to change colour.

Thank you for your feedback. When you say responsiveness are you referring to how the layout reacts to font size changes?

ma77hiaz
Making moves

Well, this might not primarily have to do with colors, but can you please consider uncluttering the firefox suggestions?

I attached two pictures: One from Safari, the other one from Firefox.

IMG_2592.PNG

Safari look so clean, they have the different types of suggestions (search results, browsing history, direct urls) visually separated, and it just looks clean.

IMG_2591.PNG

Firefox on the other hand looks so cluttered, and it's definitely not nice to look at. There's no real distinction between the suggestions and it feels like too much information at once. Maybe also, because the font size for everything is about the same.

This is the reason why I switched back to Safari... I just don't like this cluttered UI of Firefox. Otherwise, I would really like the browser!

Thank you for the feedback - I will pass this on to our design team.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

I wanted to surface this discussion in case you have more feedback on the topic of 'Bringing Colour to Firefox Mobile' (or anything related to customization, themes, etc.). We are planning to close this thread out soon, so please feel free to share your thoughts here.

Thanks for participating! We are excited to continue collaborating with the community 💪

-The Community Team

SheikhAzharuddi
Making moves

Instead of wallpapers , predefined colors can be used like firefox colorways to color the toolbar and the menu

ansiklopedici
Making moves

A relavant and good idea:

darcese
Employee
Employee

Hello again!

Thank you everyone for your participation. Your responses are very valuable to our team.

Here are the common ideas that the team will evaluate:

• Adding the ability to add custom wallpapers
  • Being able to color more UI elements like the toolbar and menu
  • Collaborating with artists to create unique wallpapers
  • Releasing new wallpapers on more regular cadences

These ideas must be evaluated and prioritized against our backlog before we can commit to anything, but these insights were very helpful to inform our next steps.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

Thanks so much for participating in this conversation about using color to make the mobile browser experience more personal and engaging! We are closing out this thread but want to encourage you to continue sharing your feedback and ideas about this particular topic (and others, of course) in new posts—just be sure to use the necessary labels and tags, so your posts are easily searched for and discovered by our teams.

As always, we are going to keep the fun rolling. A new discussion hosted by a Mozilla employee has just kicked off and can be found here: Firefox Relay Phone Number Masking. Let us know what you think about this exciting new feature 🙌

This is an ongoing series here in the Mozilla Connect community, so we look forward to continuing to collaborate with you all!

-The Community Team