cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diuran
Strollin' around

I open many tabs with YouTube or other website with video/music. I really lost to find active-playing tab. I know there is text "now playing", but that's not enough with many tabs opened. Furthermore, I attach the file with screenshot and on that screenshot active playing tab is the last, but it took me time to realize which tab now is playing. I really wish to make playing button on the tab to be little bigger and easier to distinguish, maybe with different colour and make permanently visible on the tab.

23 Comments
rdm
Strollin' around

Hi,

For customers with a large number of common tabs open (eg a dozen youtube tabs open) and one of which is active and playing media it would be an improved ux if navigating back to that active tab to turn them off/mute them etc if those active tabs was easier. Maybe by making the active tabs playing media was a different color or otherwise more distinctly differentiated from other similar tabs, or make the 'playing' notification more prominent.  

Thank you

rdm

KERR
Making moves

Agree. IE7 or 8 used to colour tabs from the same domain in the same colour, it was probably the only thing worth remembering about those days of IE (besides armed chimps raiding beehives 😃 )

KERR_1-1649910745609.png

I made a similar suggestion for FF to include more details when hovering over tabs here:

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/more-tab-detail-eg-preview-url/idi-p/154

IronGate12

Firefox has recently became my favorite browser (again!) but one thing disturbs me a bit. I remember, earlier Firefox versions' tab marker design (indicating which tab I am on) was much better. Before Firefox ver. 89, the active tab design was more functional as it was immediately clear which tab is the “active tab”.

I prepared a visual comparison of how different browsers indicate the active tab. (attached image). Also inserted how it was before Firefox Ver 89. I hope the designers will take this into consideration in the future releases.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

pork_bone

Active tab currently only has a thin border/outline around it to differentiate between focused tab and any other tabs you currently have open.

The focus tab needs to be made more obvious whether you make the focus tab a lighter colour, especially with themes applied.

I currently use the "dreamer" theme but the focused tab is the same colour as the other tabs, except it has a border/outline and it takes longer to differentiate between focus and unfoced tabs based on that outline. Other browsers, theres no mistaking it which tab you are on.

Just my 2c, using beta version.

JW

I also miss the ability to easily recognize the active tab. With often many tabs open, far TOO often I close the wrong one not realizing it's active. Thankfully History/Recently Closed Tabs usually lets me get it back, but Please add an option to put more emphasis on the Active Tab. I used to color it pink using a Firefox setting years ago, but new versions have eliminated any options and made the colors nearly identical. Today I've wasted several hours chasing hacks in userChrome.css and none have helped.

I hope someone is reading this (and the countless other pleas Google will bring you), and either improves the default behavior or provides a durable option that won't vanish with the next update. We very much need and appreciate the updates for their fixes and security protections.

Thank you to everyone for all the work that's making Firefox our favorite browser.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager
KERR
Making moves

KERR_0-1666065655308.png

Had a thought. Why not make the active tab be normal, full width? So you can see the tab title. Then make the tabs directly beside the active one slightly less wide, and the further away from the active tab, the thinner the tab title.

Kinda like the MacOS dock when you hover your mouse over it:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still work in progress ... but maybe it helps a bit:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/tabs-media-controller/