cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Firefox being updated so frequently?

silly
Making moves

It seems that lately Firefox is constantly being updated. I believe within the last month there has been at least 3 or 4 updates browser updates that had to be downloaded. Prior to this, there wasn't nearly this many updates. Why can't Firefox update the browser all at once instead of doing it piecemeal?

4 REPLIES 4

jscher2000
Leader

Firefox has a scheduled major version updated every 4 weeks. What happens in between are quick fixes for truly significant bugs in the major releases. Sometimes there are zero; sometimes, as in the case of Firefox 106, there are a crazy number.

pamluft
Making moves

I updated last week and all of my pinned tabs were eliminated. Now I've gotten 3 notifications this week to update again. What is going on?!! This is my constant experience!

Ondersoeker
Making moves

Yes, I have had the same frustration. I had more than 230 tabs on various aspects that I researched, but had not the time to download... And poof All gone...!
My computer has become a updater. Updating Microsoft more and more frequent, Firefox, more and more frequent, and in between, I have the opportunity to do some of what the reason is for having a computer: Research work.

@Ondersoeker wrote:

Yes, I have had the same frustration. I had more than 230 tabs on various aspects that I researched, but had not the time to download... And poof All gone...!
My computer has become a updater. Updating Microsoft more and more frequent, Firefox, more and more frequent, and in between, I have the opportunity to do some of what the reason is for having a computer: Research work.

There was a bug in the Firefox 127.0 update: if you canceled a Primary Password dialog on the first run of Firefox 127, it started up a broken state and failed to restore your previous session. This is now fixed in Firefox 127.0.1.

If you haven't recovered the lost tabs by now, you can try this:

(A) Find the upgrade.jsonlz4-20240606181944 file

This file would be a snapshot of your session that Firefox created during the last update (the last 6 digits may vary). It would be in your currently active Firefox profile folder, in the sessionstore-backups subfolder. For more information on accessing the profile folder, see:

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

(B) Use my Scrounger tool to extract a clickable list of open/closed tabs

The page is at https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html

You can drag-and-drop a copy of the upgrade file from Windows File Explorer onto the box on that page to decompress it.

After that, click the "Scrounge URLs" button. It usually finishes its work and generates the list within 10 seconds. If nothing seems to be happening in the page after 15 seconds, the script probably crashed. You can close the tab and try again in a new tab, or try the "Unstructured URL List" button which doesn't depend on perfectly parsing the backup file.

You can use Save List to archive a copy of the list on your computer for future reference.