cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the status of post-Proton accessibility?

vincentj
Making moves

As I mentioned in previous topics, I'm still using Firefox 90 or the ESR release 91 on all of my machines because it lets me disable the Proton UI which is harmful for accessibility. Version 90 is way out of date and 91 will soon be replaced by a new ESR release based off version 102.

There was a great discussion about accessibility, and tons of ideas submitted under the accessibility category, but I haven't heard any updates about them in months. None of the ideas have been selected for review or development, and the only one that is being explored is about tab grouping which isn't really an accessibility concern. It seems unfair for these ideas to require as many votes as other topics because by their nature, they affect a smaller portion of the community.

So my question is: What accessibility improvements can we expect in the next ESR release? Will I be forced to choose between getting security updates or actually being able to use my browser comfortably?

My fear is that I'll be forced to upgrade to a version that has all the size and contrast issues that were introduced with the Proton UI.

Tagging@asadotzler @Jon; I would have replied in the accessibility discussion but it seems to be locked.

5 REPLIES 5

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vincentj, thanks for following up and tagging myself & @asadotzler. I will share this with the Accessibility team to see what's on their roadmap.

RungrotSaibudtd
Making moves

Thanks your bro

asadotzler
Employee
Employee

We continue to work on improving Firefox accessibility. A lot has happened since versions 90/91.

We've recently shipped a significant improvement to our focused link indicator (with further improvements in pre-release channels today). We've also added subtitles support for picture in picture (for most of the popular video services). We also improved on Windows' "Make text bigger" accessibility setting which now affects all the UI and content pages, rather than only applying to system font sizes (though this has made some users unhappy, so we're working on further improvements.) Additionally, when using a screen reader on Windows, pressing enter to activate an element no longer fails or clicks the wrong element and/or another application window. Firefox also now supports the the prefers-contrast media query, which allows sites to detect if the user has requested that web content is presented with a higher (or lower) contrast. Also, users can now choose preferred color schemes for websites. Theme authors can now make better decisions about which color scheme Firefox uses for menus. Web content appearance can now be changed in Settings. Some other nice improvements include a keyboard shortcut for narrator mode in Reader View (n), bug fixes for JAWS, Orca, and Zoom Text, and improved Mac VoiceOver support.

Today the core accessibility engineering team is hard at work on re-architecting the backend code that supports screen readers and other assistive technologies. At the same time, the Firefox front-end team (currently UX/design) is working on an improvement to primary UI contrast issues (mainly the tab strip, but also the other toolbars.

There's a lot to do and we're doing our best to cover as much of it as quickly as possible.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

We just released a new Text Recognition feature in 106—Copy text from image. Learn more about the feature and share feedback in a discussion hosted by our Product Team. Link here:

Copy text from images in Firefox 106 - Mac users, we'd love your feedback! 

Looking forward to collaborating with you all 🙌

vincentj
Making moves

Hi, I'm checking back in on the progress since the last update.  While I appreciate those improvements, they still do not address my two primary concerns: making the active window more visible, and making the active tab more visible.

I am STILL using Firefox 90 because those issues have not been fixed, but Slack and some other sites have dropped support for that old version so I will be forced to upgrade.

So again I ask: what's the status of these two issues?  Will this forced upgrade make Firefox no longer usable for me?