Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try Orbit by Mozilla: a new AI productivity tool

sarath
Employee
Employee

Hi folks,

We’ve got something exciting to share first with our community! Introducing our beta version of Orbit by Mozilla, now available as a Firefox add-on. This is a new AI tool to help summarize emails, docs, articles, and even video transcripts.

Designed to boost productivity, Orbit provides concise summaries right in your browser. Whether you’re wading through long emails, dense documents, or informative videos, Orbit helps you get to the heart of the content quickly.

Features include:

• Quick Summarization: Get summaries of what you’re reading or watching across sites like Gmail, Google Docs, YouTube, and more.
  • User-Friendly: It’s simple to use – just add it to your browser and you’re good to go.
  • Interactive Q&A: Ask questions about page content and quickly find specific information.
  • Customizable Summaries: Choose your preferred summary length and format.
  • No AI Training: Unlike other services, Orbit’s AI does not train on your data, keeping your information private.

We invite you to check it out and download Orbit. We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out Orbit, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts.

6 REPLIES 6

singhh9596
Making moves

Cool! Do you have an ETA for when it will be available on mobile browsers?

Thank ya!  No ETA just yet. We're focused on improving the desktop usability and stability at this time, but if we keep hearing more feedback for mobile support we can add that to the top of our queue.

yoasif
Making moves

AMO states that the license for the extension is "All Rights Reserved" - is the extension not open source?

In it's beta stage, Orbit is currently not open-source.

This doesn't mean it will remain this way forever. If orbit gains traction and we have the resources and funding to support an Open-Source project, I'm sure things could change. We are currently a small team of folks working on this part time and supporting an open-source project is not always a trivial amount of work.

Unrelated, but potentially interesting. When we chose Mistral's 7B model for the beta, that model was considered Open Source, but as of earlier this month it is no longer considered open-source as per the OSI definition.

Was the extension acquired as part of another project or product? Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand why the team size would have bearing on whether the software is open source.

Is the extension (not the serverside components) under license to another vendor?

DonutRush
Making moves

Mozilla should not be in the business of having Firefox drain a lake to misunderstand a webpage for me. You aren't making the web better.