Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

anth
Making moves

Very no.

I’ve been a firefox user for just about as Long as there’s been a firefox. It is what I recommend to folks on most platforms. If this gets included in the base distribution, i will absolutely have to reconsider that. I don’t want this code *in* my browser, no off-by-default nonsense.

to be clear, this is not a “just ignore it if you don’t like it“ situation. Shipping this in the browser absolutely makes me question the judgment of the core Firefox team. It is a trust issue.

Revie
Making moves

Absolutely not.

Revie
Making moves

Absolutely not. 

Shuurros
Making moves

Not sure this is a great idea

Viatria
Making moves

Hey do you guys know any good browsers that aren't chromium based or pushing AI?

Silvestria
Making moves

Please do NOT add AI to Firefox.

Jen5000
Making moves

No thanks on the AI. I prefer Firefox over most other browsers BECAUSE it didn't use the enviroment AND privacy damaging tech but if the people behind Firefox seriously implement this feature, I'm out of here. Dump the whole thing please.

libirose
Making moves

Please cease this immediately. I've been using Firefox since release, I don't want to have to find a new browser.

cassanova
Making moves

I don't understand the hate for this since it's an entirely optional feature and not turned on by default. This sounds like the exact way to implement AI.

What use case justifies the environmental impact? When large language models are inherently based off stolen data, that lies in its outputs unpredictably, when it is so much a turn off for artists and writers and people who actually know about the field?

Necra
Making moves

One of the major reasons I use Firefox is the lack of AI. I am firmly anti AI. AI also has a huge negative environmental impact with no clear benefit to me. Please do not implement it. Thank you

RSEDENT
Making moves

No.

RSEDENT
Making moves

no.

TMTH28
Making moves

Absolutely not. AI is such an invasive, overreacting technology being forced into every aspect of our lives. AI models are built on mass theft and plagiarism. Functionally it's a security nightmare.

You say this toggle is optional but the fact you're even entertaining the idea is a bad sign for the future regarding Mozilla's leadership and general philosophy. It's only a matter of time before it's no longer an option.

Firefox is one of the few bastions of secure and accessible internet left. I have to assume Mozilla is aware of the problems with AI. I hope this post is not just a PR stunt to make it look like you care about your users while proceeding with this ill advised implementation. I would hate to go back to friends, family, and coworkers and tell them I no longer recommend Firefox as a browser, but I will do it if I must.

AwakenSoul
Making moves

Do not implement it. Do NOT include it optionally either. It's an unnecessary function that serves the wants of the few at the expense of the many.

In addition, I am requesting that you and your organization take a firm anti-generative AI stance on the whole.

mashtonok
Making moves

please don't do this. the lack of this kind of ai was one of the biggest reasons i came to firefox in the first place

Twirrim
Making moves

Please no.  Please stop wasting dev time and money on these "features", that could instead be spent on polishing Firefox.

Frankie
Making moves

I really, really don't want this to happen. I installed Firefox to get away from having language models and AI thrown in my face. I'm sure others can relate.

szakib
Making moves

Please don't ruin the last reasonable browser with this bull**bleep**.

It's lovely to know that my comments are censored.
Is "BS" okay to use?

cloudyishdays
Making moves

Stop cut it out

RKV
Making moves

I swear to god, I'll stop using Firefox.

habitualyIronic
Making moves

I don't want AI anywhere near my browser, please. I've been a loyal Mozilla user for over a decade, i subscribe to both Mozilla VPN and Mask Relay, and I really really don't want AI

Megajotb
Making moves

Dear God please no

Kinkri
Making moves

i dont think it's neccessary, seems incidental at best to all the reasons I, and everyone I know, use firefox, and I'm worried about potential performance impacts. I don't think it'd make the browser better or more useful to the people who actually use it, but it does have real potential of making it worse

rc6ty
Making moves

Maybe you should focus on finally adding proper HDR support for Firefox before considering adding a (imho useless) AI button

rubyrobotic
Making moves

no one wants ai. it's being shoved in our faces because tech giants banked on it being a smash hit, and then it wasn't, and now they want it to pay off, so they're forcing it on us. is it really worth alienating your userbase for a glorified chatbot?

OlliStarr
Making moves

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

mysfortunatelyn
Making moves

Absolutely NOT. Please do not do this. I use Firefox as a way to get away from garbage like ai and data-theft.

gabrielk
Making moves

Please, the addition of AI to Firefox is a negative in many instances, from productivity, safety and much more. This push for AI on everything is from investors that are bandwagoning on the newest tech sounding thing but don't actually know how it could actually improve the user experience or help any business, to the point that the AI bubble is now showing signs of bursting amidst many issues from lack of user adoption, legal issues, moral issues and negative views of users towards AI in general. Please do not make another useless AI integration that no users actually want and keep focused on improving the efficiency of Firefox and user privacy, that's what users really want

imppoe
Making moves

No no no no absolutely no! I do not want this crap in Firefox!

Myth
Making moves

Really disappointing to see Firefox jumping on the AI bandwagon.  Regardless of whether these companies are directly collecting information from users - and I don't trust their promises of privacy for a second - the reckless disregard for artists' and writers' intellectual property exercised when creating these models in the first place should give anyone pause.  This kind of garbage is why I switched to Firefox in the first place.  No one wants this.

fid
Making moves

no no no no NO.

querewolves
Making moves

Absolutely not.

Firefox is supposed to be better than this.

ril_amber
Making moves

Please do not do this. I’d hate to have to stop using Firefox because you think using the hyped up mediocrity generating theft machine is a good idea. I won’t be updating Firefox for now, and hope you’ll reconsider

Bistre
Making moves

Please don't invest in AI or make it even a optional part of firefox. AI is produced unethically by data scraping and contributes to environmental damage and the depression of wages without providing any value in exchange. If firefox takes this route I will actively look for another option that doesn't make me want to barf.

Crazybookworm31
Making moves

I moved over to Firefox expressly because you were a reliable browser that seemed to care about the privacy and user experience of its users, introducing AI, even experimentally spits in people's faces. Generative AI for search features has already been proven to be a disastrous move by Google, don't follow in their footsteps, I feel like I'm scolding a child. "If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too?" 

AI cannot tell the difference between reliable sources and untrustworthy ones, and putting it into practice in any capacity beyond data analysis on which is was solely trained is a horrible idea. It takes ridiculous amounts of money and energy to run, destroys jobs because tech people think its a shiny new toy and fire everyone for the sake of "automation," it makes the user experience harder, and provides incorrect information, even when only used as customer service chats. It is not worth it in any capacity and the fact that this is considered at all disgusts me. Do better.

megid0nt
Making moves

I primarily use a web browser to make HTTP requests and view the results, and have been upset with the creep of web content dependent upon javascript weakening security consciousness; it's now commonplace to assume users will run code sight unseen, and acceptable to be hostile to those who refuse. If you have a problem with it there is no recourse, this is just what the internet is now -- get with it or leave.

Given what I've seen in the past, where browser technology grows to grant functionality without consideration of coherence and safety it does so at the expense of the userbase and to the enrichment of those with the ability to take advantage. I don't even need to download suspicious files to run malicious code nowadays -- my browser streamlines my online experience!

I don't think that means JavaScript shouldn't have been put in web browsers. But how can a browser have JS and not either run every script sight unseen or, in the face of the modern world, subject every user to the most intense alarm fatigue possible?

What I worry about with these service integrations is not their integration as they are now, but where they're going. What I worry about is the role we play in accepting the transition of web technology and what role Mozilla will play -- if we end up as the only browser not offering these services, users seeking them will go elsewhere and get themselves hurt worse, but if Mozilla embraces them, how can they genuinely protect user data security and prevent the fatigue that 45 requests for personal data in an hour can have? Like it or not, one day I will be hungover and check the "don't ask again" box when prompted, as would anyone, and acting otherwise will put your userbase in danger.

PomegranateABB
Making moves

Can we please not? At the very least I want an option to completely disable this function when it rolls out, but I’d rather not have it at all. If I wanted to be dealing with AI crap, I’d still be using Chrome.

RustyMachine
Making moves

I'd rather you beat me to death with a metal pipe