Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

ThunderWasp
Making moves

Absolutely not. I recently switched browsers from Chrome to Firefox because I was getting more and more fed up with Google's **bleep**. AI integration was the final push that made me jump ship.

greyywatch
Making moves

I think including AI like this is antithetical to what I understood as Firefox's mission. While I appreciate that you've made it opt-in rather than the other way around, I'm not interested in using it and knowing that it's there hurts my opinion of Mozilla. Please do not move forward with it.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to share our thoughts.

AB27121
Making moves

Please drop entirely. AI is rampant with issues from all directions. I use Mozilla to keep my data MY data. I don’t want it sold to marketing teams, and I don’t want it used to train an algorithm. 

nerdlord
Making moves

Why does AI have to be built into everything. It sucks. Don't do this.

nyves
Making moves

Please no, stop forcing AI where it isn't wanted. I really like firefox and would like to continue to use it, but would reconsider if Ai was brought in and likely leave.

laurajdt
Making moves

Please stop.  We need less access to AI, not more.  Yesterday I saw an ad for Grammarly (which is now just fancy Chat-GPT, apparently) that was BLATANTLY saying “hey, college and high school students, have Grammarly write your essays for you!”  NO.  STOP.  DO NOT.

peekeend
Making moves

Please dont, thanks

tisoft
Making moves

Please do not include any AI functionality in Firefox. Focus on the best browsing experience. 

Rackle
Making moves

I will drop firefox just as fast as I dropped google chrome when they started this nonsense.

No small tweaks, no creative suggestions. Kill it. I want it gone.

X9-6Q
Making moves

DO NOT ADD AI! AI will make your product worse. It makes up information that is blatantly wrong and, besides being actively unhelpful, is extremely bad for the environment and puts people out of jobs. I have been a huge advocate for people switching to Firefox, but if AI is added I will actively find a different browser and tell everyone I know to do the same. There is nothing good or helpful about AI, and even if there was it would not be worth the harm it causes. Please please please do not, under any circumstances, add AI to firefox.

Dreamweaver
Making moves

I use Firefox for privacy.  AI has a reputation for data scraping.  Your plans are clearly very unpopular.  If you continue despite all the opposition and decide to add AI to our computers against our will, I am going to have to assume that your intent is to scrape my data for your own purposes, and I will have to use a different browser for my own safety.

LLM chatbots are built by nonconsensually scraping data.  Mozilla is demonstrating that it is willing to nonconsensually scrape data and deliver that content to other people.  Mozilla can no longer be trusted. 

StefiStarlite
Making moves

It's disappointing to see this feature made it out of the Nightly phase.

At best, this should have remained an optional extension NOT bundled with the browser at all. At worst, this is another action that results in myself and many other Firefox users to continue to lose faith in Mozilla's ability to actually make good on its promise to focus on privacy. It not only tells users that Mozilla only seeks to appease those falling for the inflated benefits of such features (regardless of the proven track record of copyright disregard and accuracy) but it is massively environmentally irresponsible given the unreasonably high energy usage LLM systems require.

I was really hoping the Nightly experiment would be just that, an experiment. Once I saw that these features were added to the production release, I immediately stopped using the mobile app and fully intend to remove the desktop app in favor of a different browser solution.

If you find another good browser (in the event that Firefox continues this path of self-destruction), do share!

which version of Firefox has it so I know not to update to it?

kinetix
Making moves

Please for the love of God no. Do you guys even remember what a browser is any more? You have so much anti-user cruft to remove already, from your sponsored everythings to pocket. We just want a browser.

You guys are anti-feature creeping your way in to non-existence, and having watched your story unfold since the early Netscape navigator days, these are truly awful times for a browser that has no idea what it any more.

Floof-
Making moves

No. I do not want this in Firefox, that is not why I use the browser and goes against everything that Firefox is.

wecor
Making moves

You are the One True Bastion of Security against the forces of Edge and Chrome.

Do not sacrifice your integrity.

Please.

Qhaz
Making moves

ENOUGH with the AI stuff! We don't need chatbots, we don't need 'AI' assistants, we don't need these privacy invasive programs that scrape and plagerize writing and art made by real actual people. We don't need this GARBAGE.

Aftermathplannr
Making moves

The circles of people who use Firefox over the ten different chrome browsers and people who like the current “AI” tools companies are sticking onto everything to make their products look better is two circles.

zackarired
Making moves

Absolutely the f not.

modrnprometheus
Making moves

Do not.

barnix
Making moves

I've only been using it for a day, but my initial thoughts are positive! Big fan of the AI Chatbot feature, specifically HuggingChat.

I would love if there was a shortcut so i can expand/collapse the Chatbot sidebar.

Aleksorsist
Making moves

AI? No thanks

heartofhubris
Making moves

Please don't

Bottan
Making moves

Can we not have this? Please.

LeatherOtter
Making moves

I do not want ANY AI functions at all

Iceycube
Making moves

No, thanks

chriziegler
Making moves

I'm fine with this only if it is strictly opt-in. I do not want my browser to foist AI features onto me, but I have no problem with making it available for interested parties to use

eriyu
Making moves

I'm one more person who's made an account purely to let you know that after being a huge Firefox advocate for years, I WILL uninstall if AI is forced on me.

I'm sick and tired of having to trawl the Internet for the most obscure programs and solutions to use because there are no polished products that respect me as a user. But I'll do it as many times as I have to.

Botanical_Goop
Making moves

Main part of moving to firefox was to get away from the encroaching en**bleep**tification being implemented in other web browsers.

I will not be signing up for ai now or ever

LunaLucille
Making moves

Please do NOT add AI to firefox!!Firefox!!! I SPECIFICALLY CAME to Firefox from Chrome to escape that **bleep**!! I'm probably in the right when I say this, everybody who's smart enough to use Firefox hates AI

sixohsix
Making moves

The integration of AI into other browsers is not making them better. I'm required to use Edge for work, and the AI sidebar constantly pops open and provides only garbage. Microsoft have made it deliberately hard to hide this sidebar and button because they want the branding opportunity, but in use it's terrible. 

If Firefox was first to offer such a capability I'd understand why you'd want to try this, but this feature is just chasing features from other browsers that users already hate. Please try something else.

-sb
Making moves

Hi folks! First, thank you for working on the closest thing to a "good" browser that is currently available.

I would like to ask you - to beg even - to please drop all the LLM nonsense. LLM's do more harm than good. LLMs are built on stolen material without regard to the creators. LLMs are more confident in being wrong than a republican politician.

You know what we *do* want? A fast, stable, and SAFE browser. We want a browser that can detect and PROTECT us from LLMs and their dangerously incorrect content. We want something that will hold our tabs and not spy on us. That's it.

Can we please, PLEASE just have that?

Yours for the present,

Sean Boyer

Asj
Making moves

Well said.

sh47
Making moves

I will switch to a new browser i didnt switch to firefox for **bleep** like this

SeafoamTaide
Making moves

Oh my god please do not. Don't. Don't. No one needs this. You're the last bastion of browsers that don't totally suck don't do this

Asj
Making moves

Please do not. One of the reasons I changed to Firefox was to get rid of the AI fluff.

It's like if in the 1990's every business you walked into had added TY Beanie Baby wallpaper and had employees wearing silly themed hats.

Internet Browsers don't need cute gimmicks. People use browsers for actual reasons. Browsers and search engines should both be reliable and simple to use. Even if you're only talking about advertising AI, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

(I'm not going to try it. I'm disgusted with the whole AI gimmick and hope the trend ends soon.)

JessicaFEREM
Making moves

One of the biggest issues I see is coming from business users of Firefox. Some companies will not allow programs that could potentially have access to Generative AI, even if it's just forcibly disabled, it can't be in the code. This would make it difficult, if not impossible to get Firefox approved for use on those work computers.

This just seems like a really poorly thought out feature, it could've just been an extension.

Lightcell
Making moves

As a firefox user I expect that Mozilla acts with caution and consideration when updating and adding features to their browser. Even thinking about adding AI services is neither of those things, this idea should be abandoned, Firefox thrives on being an old style browser and not being like Chromium browsers adding AI services loses a part of this key aspect of this browser. Generative AI is a mediocre and milquetoast invention that is neither useful or capable of advancing our use of technology. Please reconsider this choice,  not only is AI a trend, it's a highly damaging one, with the electrical and computing power required to operate these causing damage to the enviroment.

Thank you for considering my response I hope you make the right choice.