Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

andy33
Making moves

ew no! no ai

its bad enough that duckduckgo keeps turning its ai settings back on without my permission! dont hardbake ai into the browser! its not making money btw!

teylon
Making moves

No. This is an energy drain we simply do not need.

giacofmanytrade
Making moves

DO NOT DO THIS

Sarahmb
Making moves

I will not use Firefox anymore if this is the case.

istaranna
Making moves

Please NO, i really do not want more Ai stuff everywhere. Apart from the gigantic enviromental impact it has and the very questionable copyright stance regarding the training data, there is no need to ad this to firefox. if people really need this for some reason and cant just open a tab, an addon would be a way better solution. But i do not want any of this to be forced onto me, implemented in my browser or my os or anywhere.

Sarahmb
Making moves

I am so tired of companies employing use of AI when it is so detrimental to so many.

bullrush
Making moves

Strongly, strongly do not want LLM functionality anywhere in Firefox. I recommend Firefox everywhere as the mainstream browser that's still good and doesn't belong to a company that's gone all in on the GenAI bubble with all its attendant ethical issues. Please don't prove me wrong: I don't want to end up defaulting back to Chrome because there's no difference any more.

ulewarose
Making moves

Hi, I do not believe that AI should be added to Firefox, I have to use Google and Microsoft for work and the AI that each company uses is detrimental to getting useful information. AI has been sold as something amazing when in reality it only gives you vague information that is not useful. I would not want to use the AI that Mozilla would add and if it was added I would do my best to never use it.

Ovidi_Nawer
Making moves

If you want a clear, concise and easy answer: Nobody likes this. I don't think I will be able to add anything from a perspective that matters to computer people about why AI is so terrible but as an user:

As an user tho, this sucks, is imprecise, it is false, it is fake. There hasn't been a singular AI implementation in the past year (or maybe it's already 2?)  has been more than a failure on all directions except speculation for dudes who are more illiterate than me on coding. You don't need to join the first 3 boats that are going to burn in flames in the middle of the ocean y'know, we would be more thankful if you just... waited until AI was proven minimally succesful without using smoke and mirrors, or even better, never use a thing that has been trained on STEALING data which we, as individuals, for whatever reason, cannot even access unless we're "training a machine".

And for the attempts to use more ethical machine trained things: I appreciate all the frankenstein makers out there but I also appreciate that people who are born after the existence of the book gain a bit of self consciousness about how messed up can be creating an abomination towards humanity can be, for humanity and for the abomination themselves. Please don't feed the world with this.

AI will never be more useful than target advertisements. We're searching for god's sake, we're searching on a browser, we are here to search, not to ask a fake recreation of a human being things. If we wanted that we would go to a chatbot and do that instead. Just STOP. I don't need a faulty machine to help me with ANYTHING related to a web browser, the most basic of basics of progams on the world that even my now deceased at 92 y/o grandpa was able to use. My 3 y/o nieces know already how to use this. Why do we even need this at all? Do you want people to stop finding stuff, to stop searching stuff, just a machine that pulls whatever dumb biased incorrect answer some weird "invisible hand" choose to craft out of probability? We're already struggling to find -the real stuff- to now have to get a tiny dumb machine here.

And you say it's optional, and you say you have to activate it, but you already put an opt out here for target advertisement, you're going to push this through when it is convenient for you, it's that easy, it's that simple. Take a bite of the apple, start thinking about making everything an apple.

Stop. Creating. Frankensteins.

Solarmama
Making moves

NO THANK YOU.

AI does not actually work, is environmentally unsound, relies on exploited third world workers to make its deranged output palatable, and hallucinates dangerous facts. Why would you want to tarnish Firefox with it?

If you must flirt with the devil, make it an extension so that it is actively opt-in; I bet you'll get fewer takers than you expect. I use Firefox because I can control my experience here, because I care about my privacy and I can do a lot of things to sift out the actively **bleep**ty stuff that is being imposed on other browsers and cluttering up online spaces now.

Adding AI to Firefox will make it one of the things I have to sift out. Just don't do it.

LSG
Making moves

No, no, a thousand times no!

WolfSquish
Making moves

Please for the love of a god I don't believe in do not do this

Pauline
Making moves

Every single implementation of large language models, what you ephemistically call "AI", has been catastrophic everywhere else. It's a glorified text prediction system and pretending it is anything more than that is delusional. LLMs will routinely make **bleep** up, give false information and plagiarize. You will never fix this issue no matter how much you try to correct it because LLMs are not "Artificial Intelligence". They are not sentient. They are just a program made to string words together and follow the structure and grammar of English with no fundamental understanding of what they words they are saying means. I am blocking all Firefox updates until you remove this trash.

thejauntyfool
Making moves

Please, for the love of God, don't do this. I use Firefox because it's the only one I trust. This kind of crap does nothing but erode the trust I have in you. This is just a small pebble to you, but it's going to drive away more users than it will ever attract. Scrolling through the other comments, I've only seen one or two people in support of this, while everyone else is begging you to not do it, to not cram yourself into the google-shaped mold they've been trying to cram you into. I don't care that it's off by default, the very fact of its existence will still erode that trust and will feel like the beginning of a rot that cannot be stopped.

HJ
Making moves

I left chrome for firefox. But if you add AI. I might as well go back to chrome.

Please do not add ai.

nataku31
Making moves

Absolutely not. Escaping AI has become increasingly difficult. Do not make it even more difficult to do so.

In addition to the massive toll AI takes on the environment, it is well known as a massive source of misinformation that is powered exclusively by theft of intellectual and creative properties. It's is is both unethical and a blatant attack on those of us who have spent our lives honing crafts.

"AI" foraging "books" have already killed people. The only ethical choice is to avoid it and tell the truth - it is not intelligence, it is only the same level of mimicry as a hoverfly pretending to be a wasp.

evraire
Making moves
  • No AI
  • No sponsors
  • No recommendations
  • No ads
  • No suggestions

It's really so simple: just get out of my way!

fishi
Making moves

no. why. LLMs will only bloat firefox

kbea
Making moves

What's the point? This AI stuff is bullsh** - technical term, taken directly from an academic journal - bc it doesn't have any way to evaluate what information is actually correct, it's just designed to sound confident. This causes issues across use cases. See what happened when someone investigated its utility for summarising. The tech executives have decided it needs to be the next best thing when it's at best a mildly diverting yet annoying in practice doodad. All AI services do is add to the amount of low-quality chaff we have to wade through on the daily, create new yet curiously uninteresting ways to make errors, and encourage people to be lazier communicators. Unnecessary and wasteful of time, effort, and energy.

Fir3
Making moves

Yeah, this has to be an all around No from me. if only from the known environmental impact standpoint alone.

cheeseandthanky
Making moves

Currently, I use and highly recommend firefox. I am able to circumvent the ai that Google uses, I have no interest in circumventing further ai but if firefox chooses to integrate it after this woefully misguided series of decisions pushed (no doubt) by investors, I will have no choice. Analytical ai has uses and some value, but application of ai for generative or search purposes or organization of algorithms is a waste of resources like energy and is at best, an annoyance. It does not increase, but rather reduces efficacy and you will alienate a large portion of your users base.

mapleroo
Making moves

Nope. Don't want anything to do with it. I turn AI features off of everything that tries to push it.

astrognash
Making moves

Please don't do this. LLMs are universally trained on stolen data and there is no ethical use case for them. Adding them to Firefox is wholly contrary to its mission and I consider adding this feature to be an active attack on intellectual property rights and privacy rights.

Devo-OS
Making moves

Please, if there is any soul left, have nothing to do with the so called AI junk!

EDIT: I have currently disabled Firefox'es ability to update, out of my dislike of this possibility.

legowerewolf
Making moves

Generative AI:

pbjplatypus
Making moves

Not a fan of the way generative AI produces incorrect information. In addition, I don't want or need my browser to act as a soundboard nor a rubber duck. Please don't waste your time with generative ML - it's to no one's benefit.

littlebirdy
Making moves

PLEASE reconsider adding AI in any capacity. In addition to concerns around using creative work without permission to train generative AI, it's so bad for the environment. I don't want to see Firefox use generative AI in any capacity .

np95
Making moves

absolutely not

Myriads
Making moves

That’s a no from me, dawg

oddmara
Making moves

I think the reason a lot of people like firefox, myself included, is the fact that we can stay away from all of the chrome bull**bleep** - having a reliable search engine that gives me ressources that answer the search terms I put in the engine is one of those things that chrome doesn't do anymore, in large part thanks to AI. Aditionally AI is so polluting while also being generally worse than what we already have, so there really is no point into this. I don't think I'd keep using Firefox if it too added AI.

Ott
Making moves

No. No AI at all. It is too problematic on too many levels. I want to have an oasis away from it on Firefox. 

IanWAdams
Making moves

Please, no one wants this.

steviebea
Making moves

please no….

Juice
Making moves

Please please don't 

I use Firefox because I don't support the integration of AI into every aspect of my life and if Firefox makes this change I will have to reconsider what browser I'll be using.

duckfort
Making moves

Please do not

okaydokie
Making moves

I appreciate the insensitive for wanting to try new features, but ai is not even close to a place where it will be useful. No matter how hard you try to make it as accurate as possible for info, it will always pull from other ai answers and will only provide incorrect information. Which will only push FireFox users away, just like what Google and other corps are doing.

I love FireFox and all it does to provide the best browsing experience for users. Just. Please don't start using ai. No one likes it

j_j_b
Making moves

Please don't.  This is a waste of my browser space (both visual space and memory) to add literally zero value to my web experience. I thought Mozillla was better than just following the hype train down whatever weird hole it leads to.

demtatin
Making moves

To quote Hamlet, act III, scene III, line 92: 

No