cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla Connect in relation to Bugzilla

stdunbar
Making moves

I'd like to understand the relation of Connect to Bugzilla.  In the previous incarnation of a Mozilla feedback mechanism bringing up a bug met with deafening silence.  If I want to bring light to a long standing bug (if you consider 12 years long standing) then is this the forum or is it simply votes on Bugzilla?

7 REPLIES 7

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great question. Yes, we are directing all bug reporting (comments, votes, etc.) to Bugzilla.

jscher2000
Leader

@stdunbar wrote:

If I want to bring light to a long standing bug (if you consider 12 years long standing) then is this the forum or is it simply votes on Bugzilla?

Well, there are bugs and bugs. If the old bug was flagged as an Enhancement rather than a Defect, it may go to the end of the queue. Promoting it here as an idea to the product people, perhaps it will find an advocate to increase its priority and push it over the finish line. At least, that could happen in some cases. (I assume -- it's definitely not my decision.)

Thanks for the feedback @jscher2000 .  This is a combination of 781982 and, after that one got embarrassingly old, 1639542.  Basically private windows on Firefox work poorly at best - it's trivial for a site to detect that a user is using private mode.  So anyone who would like to stay private basically has to go to Chrome as there aren't any great workarounds.  Firefox tries to tell me they are concerned about privacy but for 12 years I haven't been able to universally use private windows. 

First: this site needs some kind of confirmation on the Cancel button so I don't destroy a whole reply.

I see that bug 1639542 was assigned and then unassigned, so it needs someone new on it. I don't know how that is decided.

Wait, so... we can not report bugs to bugzilla/mozilla anymore ? We have to use this new feedback feature ? I also wonder why crowdcity is no longer being use...

MrJY
Making moves

I think you are reading something into the comments above which they are not stating. Nobody is saying you can not use bugzilla anymore. This is just another way for users to interact with mozilla and each others. On that note: most of the millions of mozilla users might not be able to write a bugzilla bug in a way that it s actually helpful for it s role in the development process. That s not meant as an offense - i think it s tottaly okay that they can't. But if they provide feedback about bugs here, and somebody who knows which questions to ask them joins in, the result might be a useful bugzilla bug.

(Take the hint, when i first wandered trough bugzilla about 20 years ago, even in the days before Firefox, the feeling seemed to be "we re getting more and more bugzilla bugs that are not helpful" (i think quite some ppl were using stronger language). With the every rise in popularity, this got more intense - until eventually mozillas homepage got one of the many bigger redesigns, hiding the developlemnt parts deeper. But this only slowed the influx of these kind of bugreports.

@Oyaji wrote:

Wait, so... we can not report bugs to bugzilla/mozilla anymore ? We have to use this new feedback feature ?

You can still use Bugzilla for defects, but when it comes to creative ideas, they just die in there. Hopefully this site will help with promoting user experience improvements that don't go anywhere on Bugzilla.

I also wonder why crowdcity is no longer being use...

I don't know the official reasons, but search was terrible and people didn't like having to use a third party login.