cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox now saves files that I only wanted to open

MP
Making moves

Please fix this, or give me the option to just open a document.  I do not want to save each and every document I open.

I do not see the logic in this decision.

86 REPLIES 86

My apologies for this late response.

I've only just tried your fix and it works! (Until Mozy fix the fix again) So clever,thank you.

I'm trying to learn about this stuff I hope it's O.K. to ask this.

I think mp4 goes to the Temp folder now instead of saving.Where can I find Temp so I can check?

Thank again,interesting stuff,

Ron.

I

@Ron69 wrote:

I think mp4 goes to the Temp folder now instead of saving.Where can I find Temp so I can check?

If you click the Downloads arrow to drop the panel listing recent downloads, there is an icon on the right side of each row to open the folder where the download is saved. When you use this method, the file should be highlighted in Windows File Explorer for easy spotting. You can use the File Explorer address bar to confirm the location.

Thank you so much for that.I love learning about this stuff.

I hope you don't mind one more question.I'm just interested.I assume the 'Temp' file is just that,temporary,if so,when is it emptied.I've got some old stuff in there.

Thank you once again,everything seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

Excellent.

rylan
Making moves

I've been using Firefox for many years, and this change has driven me to use other browsers like Chrome and (ugh) Edge.  Some sites I can't even open a pdf with Firefox now because its just totally broken.  Horrible decision and broken 'feature'

@rylan wrote:

Some sites I can't even open a pdf with Firefox now because its just totally broken.  Horrible decision and broken 'feature'

What settings are you using? I have some comment on that in my earlier reply: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/firefox-now-saves-files-that-i-only-wanted-to-open/m-p/45...

Chocceh
Making moves

Undo this change or allow a permanent fix. Are you out of your mind, Mozilla? I don't know which PM is angling for a promotion by championing bold new behavior but smack them down.

This adds so many extra steps to a task that is very common, and until now otherwise very lightweight. Unacceptable.

Strong agree. This change is absurd and unnecessary. I *very* frequently just want to open a file without downloading it to my machine, and I can't understand why this feature was removed.

CharlieMagical
Making moves

Just registered to +1 this. Why is this sudden urge to force users into something that is clearly bad for UX? I switched to Firefox in Android because Brave decided to force the grid view instead of cascade view while showing tabs. Now in desktop Firefox is forcing us to download every single file instead of letting us pick if we wanted to download or just open it. Why? Why the need to force anything like that with no reason whatsoever? Just let us decide by ourselves!

My Downloads folder is just full of garbage that I just want to see once and move on. Now I have to delete files every week to keep it clean. Unbelievable.

Deepanshu
Making moves

Yup, I had to download some attachments from discord that didn't work well in the browser due to large size! They got deleted automatically when i cleared temp folder!

Sabrina16500
Making moves

i have Mozilla Firefox Snap for Ubuntu canonical-002 - 1.0 if i want to save a picture from FireFox 100.0.2 with right click> save as> the focus is still on the FF page and not on the new window: save as. i have to click save with the mouse or Alt + Tab ⇆ then Alt + Arrow left or 2x Alt + Tab ⇆ . if not all keystrokes go to the FF page.

lunjius
Making moves

Ohh no, can it be that they disabled the about:config workaround in version 100? I lived so happily with the "unimproved" download panel for the last few weeks after I discovered the solution to this "feature". Does anybody know new solutions?

@lunjius wrote:

Ohh no, can it be that they disabled the about:config workaround in version 100? I lived so happily with the "unimproved" download panel for the last few weeks after I discovered the solution to this "feature". Does anybody know new solutions?

Same preference exists in Firefox 98-101. Haven't checked 102.

You are so right. I got confused somehow.

Anyways, this seems to be a pretty neat workaround for when the time of removal comes: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/s3syt6/comment/i8er2mk/

Sorry, right, the option still exists in 101, I was confused because even if it exists it seemed to have no effect, but my issue was actually caused by something else.

Unfortunately it seems you're right, the about:config option does not work for me.

criscal
Making moves

I am using version 100 and this problem still continues, it only allows me to choose between a few file types, but a .data or .doc extension saves them automatically

@criscal wrote:

I am using version 100 and this problem still continues, it only allows me to choose between a few file types, but a .data or .doc extension saves them automatically

Firefox will automatically save a file if the content-type indicated for that file by the server doesn't have specific instructions on the Settings page, Applications list. To train Firefox to use a specific program, you can open the Downloads list, right-click the download, and look for "Always Open Similar Files". That adds the content type to the list with the instruction to "Use [relevant application]". If you prefer to be asked what to do with that content type, you can go back to the Settings change and switch the action to "Always ask".

More info: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file 

----

Firefox 101 is scheduled to release this week (starting today, but most people do not rush to update at the first opportunity). Firefox 101 will let you switch the unknown content type behavior from "Save file" back to "Always ask". Here's what that looked like in beta:

Fx101-settings-applications-other-files-DE.png

Yes, that part is already done, but in previous versions it showed , when files with .data, . bd, .doc , img format were downloaded, what you mention is only active for the list of files that is shown there

(https://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/Administrar%20los%20diferentes%20tipos%20de%20archivo#w_cambiar-la...)

, we cannot add more formats of files, like the ones I mention.

@criscal wrote:

... we cannot add more formats of files, like the ones I mention.

In the old Firefox, the way you added new content types was, when the Download dialog came up with Open/Save/Cancel, checking a box that said to do this automatically in the future.

In the current Firefox, the way you add new content types is, after the file is saved, open the Downloads list (from the toolbar button or Ctrl+J), right-click the item, and choose "Always Open Similar Files".

See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file 

TGKS
Making moves

So, I start thinking that these horrible changes are made just to have more users sign on to the Mozilla community to complain - exactly like I just did, I signed in just to write this. I endured every horrible decision that the FF team made over the years, since the very beginning, I swallowed down Proton, the light theme, and all the rest. But this particular UX decision must be an act of sabotage: I assume some Google money is involved, nobody in their sane mind could possibly think this behavior is good.

However I will try to pretend that the decision was taken in good faith, so here I am trying to explain again why it's such a bad idea, and why responses like https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1370409#answer-1490167 are basically gaslighting. How about, I am browsing the Interwebz, and I want to open a PDF, I preview it with FF, I like it, and I want to share THE LINK TO THE FRICKIN' PDF over chat/email/whatever with some friends. So I copy the URI on the address bar and this looks like:

file:///C:/Users/myuser/AppData/Local/Temp/doc.pdf

Oh, you can't open it? Strange...

So https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1370409#answer-1490167 is proposing to "fix" this behavior by having instead:

file:///C:/Users/myuser/Downloads/doc.pdf

I mean, that shouldn't be too hard to understand that this does not solve the problem.

Please, please, revert this horrible decision.

@TGKS wrote:

How about, I am browsing the Interwebz, and I want to open a PDF, I preview it with FF, I like it, and I want to share THE LINK TO THE FRICKIN' PDF over chat/email/whatever with some friends. So I copy the URI on the address bar and this looks like:

file:///C:/Users/myuser/AppData/Local/Temp/doc.pdf

Oh, you can't open it? Strange...

There is only one setting to open a PDF as web content on its original URL. On the Settings page, in the Application list, set "Portable Document Format (PDF)" to "Open in Firefox" (the default setting). If it is set to any of the other options, Firefox will download and save it before it is opened. In that case, to share the original URL of the PDF, you need to open the Downloads list, right-click the download, and choose "Copy Download Link". Then you can paste that URL to share it.

The above did not change in Firefox 98. The change made in Firefox 98 was the folder where the file was saved for Windows and Linux users when you selected "Open with [relevant application]" in the pop-up download dialog. Previously, it was the system Temp (or /tmp) folder and now it's the folder listed next to "Save files to" on the Settings page. Firefox 102 (scheduled to release on June 28, 2022) will have a new about:config option to switch that back if you preferred the Temp folder.

If "Open in Firefox" is not an Option for PDF files on the Settings page, that is not normal and you should consider opening a support thread to investigate the source of the problem. Here's a link to the new question form (for Windows/Mac/Linux) on the Mozilla Support site: https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ

I'm afraid this is not what I experience. Proof:

TGKS_1-1654009293280.pngTGKS_2-1654009376034.pngTGKS_3-1654009417250.png

@TGKS wrote:

I'm afraid this is not what I experience. Proof:

TGKS_1-1654009293280.pngTGKS_2-1654009376034.png

Judging from the path to your PDF, it looks like your Firefox reverted to the pre-Firefox 98 handling (browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel => false).

Historically, even if the server sent Content-Type: application/pdf, which would match up with the Portable Document Format (PDF) instructions on the Settings page, if it also sent Content-Disposition: attachment to force downloading, Firefox would always treat the file as a download and would not follow your instructions. No matter how many times you checked the box to do the same thing in the future.

Firefox 98 fixed this (much to the chagrin of website authors) by ignoring Content-Disposition: attachment for PDFs.

The workaround to the Content-Disposition issue before Firefox 98 was to use an add-on like No PDF Download (or one of the options on the drop-down menu in my add-on Content-Type Fixer).

I reverted the browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel option to true and now it seems to work, thanks a lot for the hint!

lisstem
Making moves

I had the same issue.
After searching in about:config. I discovered that setting browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir to true reverts he behaviour to the old one and files i only want to open are downloaded to the tmp directory again.

tgrassey
Making moves

I'm running into this issue again on 103.0.1, but it's inconsistent across different websites. I ship using Paypal/Shipstation and it appears to be working correctly. I'll click through to the PDF, it will open it in Firefox and I can print it without issue. I also sell trading cards on TCGPlayer.com and when I open an invoice on that it saves it locally with the following file path:

File:///C:/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Local/Temp/FILE_NAME.pdf 

I've tried all fixes in this thread with no luck, and I can confirm just by looking at my browsing history that this behavior changed on Thursday July 28th when I updated to 103.0.1

@tgrassey wrote:

I'm running into this issue again on 103.0.1, but it's inconsistent across different websites.

Hmm, I don't know what changed between Firefox 102 and 103. This is what has been happening for a while if you have "Open in Firefox" selected as your PDF handling preference (that is the default setting):

(A) If the server accurately identified the PDF using "Content-Type: application/pdf" and did NOT send the "Content-Disposition: attachment" header to force downloading:

Firefox saves the file in the web content cache and opens the PDF with the web address showing in the address bar.

(B) If the server accurately identified the PDF using "Content-Type: application/pdf" and DID send the "Content-Disposition: attachment" header to force downloading:

Firefox saves the file in the folder you selected next to "Save files to:" on the Settings page and opens it in a new tab with the local path (file:/// ) showing in the address bar.

Firefox 102 added a preference that allows switching from the "Save files to:" folder to the Temp folder.

**Firefox 103 Update** There is a new preference to open (B) PDFs like (A) PDFs. Steps below in: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/firefox-now-saves-files-that-i-only-wanted-to-open/m-p/11...

(C) Other situations...

Firefox sometimes takes the .pdf extension at face value when sites try to sneak it past using inaccurate Content-Type values (such as "Content-Type: application/force-download"). In that case, it may follow behavior (B). Otherwise, it may auto-save the file.

Based on your description, I suspect that your first example site serves PDFs like "(A)" and your second example site serves PDFs like "(B)".

If you did want to make the (B) servers behave more like the (A) servers, you could use an extension that strips off the "Content-Disposition: attachment" header. For example:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/no-pdf-download/

It's also a feature of my add-on to make (B) work like (A), as pictured below. In recent versions of Firefox, the "Force downloading) option does not work for PDFs if "Open in Firefox" is selected. Note: since the add-on changes this for all kinds of files, you may want to turn it off when you aren't trying to load a PDF (on the menu, click "Stop Listening & Clear Log").

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/content-type-fixer/

Fx103-content-type-fixer-content-disposition-inline.png

Thanks for the response. I installed your first extension (no-pdf) and enabled it but the behavior is still the same.

The Settings of Firefox still have PDFs set to "Open in Firefox" and it still opens locally. I've contacted TCGPlayer (the site that is causing the files to be saved locally) and they claim it's working as intended. I want to point to this being a Firefox issue but I'm experiencing similar behavior in Chrome, I just noticed it when I upgraded to 103. I wonder if they changed their code around the same time.

The other weird thing with it being saved locally is that it opens the PDF in a new tab instead of a new window despite my having, "Open links in tabs instead of new windows" unchecked.

If I switch the PDF settings to "Always Ask" and then when prompted "Open in Firefox" it will open it in a new window (still saved to my C drive).

@tgrassey wrote:

Thanks for the response. I installed your first extension (no-pdf) and enabled it but the behavior is still the same.

The Settings of Firefox still have PDFs set to "Open in Firefox" and it still opens locally. I've contacted TCGPlayer (the site that is causing the files to be saved locally) and they claim it's working as intended. I want to point to this being a Firefox issue but I'm experiencing similar behavior in Chrome, I just noticed it when I upgraded to 103. I wonder if they changed their code around the same time.

Possibly this is situation (C) where they attempt to disguise the PDF using a non-standard Content-Type (but the file actually has a .pdf extension). My add-on would be better than the other one if that is the situation.

The other weird thing with it being saved locally is that it opens the PDF in a new tab instead of a new window despite my having, "Open links in tabs instead of new windows" unchecked.

If I switch the PDF settings to "Always Ask" and then when prompted "Open in Firefox" it will open it in a new window (still saved to my C drive).

So when Firefox 89 dropped, the PDF in scenario (B) replaced the current page, which was extremely aggravating to many users. The fix for that was to direct it to a new tab. They might not have thought one more step about the new tab/new window preference. So that might need to be filed as a new bug.

So I'm not sure I'm fully understanding how your plugin is working, but perhaps the log will help tell you what's going on?

C-T: Updated CT header from "Application/pdf" to "application/pdf"
C-D: Changed from attachment to inline

When my Firefox setting is set to "Display in Firefox" it's still downloading it locally in a separate tab (not a new window).

@tgrassey wrote:

So I'm not sure I'm fully understanding how your plugin is working, but perhaps the log will help tell you what's going on?

C-T: Updated CT header from "Application/pdf" to "application/pdf"
C-D: Changed from attachment to inline

When my Firefox setting is set to "Display in Firefox" it's still downloading it locally in a separate tab (not a new window).

Does it download (file:// address) or open as web content (http:// or https:// address)? If it's downloading, this might be hard-coded into the program. A new bug might need to be filed for that. If it's opening as web content, hmm, that really should follow your link preference. It could be that the page uses a download attribute in the link and that triggers the hard-coded behavior, I haven't tested that.

It is downloading with the file://  address

I just learned some good news: Firefox 103 users can switch the case (B) to case (A) using a setting. Could you make this change, turn off the extension(s), and test again?

Here's how you can check on that:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.download.open_pdf_attachments_inline and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false (honor server instructions) to true (override server instructions)

Does that help with the problem site?

That worked! Much appreciated. I'll actually pass that along to the site tech support as well. I appreciate your diligence here.

Thanks!

Amazing, sir! That finally works!

Luca_Pavan
Familiar face

Check Applications (on Settings > General) and set actions to files you need as you want.

aquaticexplorer
Making moves

this is driving me crazy - I end with with 20 pieces of garbage on my desktop.  I love Firefox but will leave if this is not reversed.  Give us the choice. 

@aquaticexplorer wrote:

this is driving me crazy - I end with with 20 pieces of garbage on my desktop.  I love Firefox but will leave if this is not reversed.  Give us the choice. 

Are you on Windows? Before Firefox 98, when you selected "Open with [relevant application]" or "Use [relevant application]", the files were stashed in the Windows Temp folder. Firefox 98+ changed to saving them in your designated downloads folder (the one next to "Save Files to" on the Settings page). Firefox 102+ lets you choose between them. Here's how:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false (use downloads) to true (use temp)

Does that work for you?

piterk
Making moves

You can open pdf without download via new preference:

browser.download.open_pdf_attachments_inline

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree 100%.  Extreme clutter of my download folder makes saving the needed files and getting rid of the garbage a real pain.  Switched to Chrome.