cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox is suggesting me my old (removed) bookmark

garylkz
Making moves

as stated in title, which is very strange, since i have removed the bookmark and i have multichecked everywhere and make sure it does not exist anymore. I have even cleard all history and every data i have. Still suggest me the same thing. Disable "suggest bookmark" doesn't work but oddly disabling "suggest history" works. Yes, i heard that you can manually pop firefox suggestion on firefox pc, but it is not the case on mobile.

That implies to me that firefox is storing my data somewhere on my firefox account that i couldnt manage, which creeps me out and i dont like the idea that i have no control of my own data.

imo, firefox account manager should provide more features for user to better control of their own data because ironically, google does all of that despite that they are notorious of privacy invasive (though whether they actually removed the data or not is another thing)

5 REPLIES 5

orbeffect
Making moves

Firefox Android has this problem for years. Sadly they never fix. Only thing that works is reinstalling the app.

fuchsigesfeuer
Making moves

Sometimes I have the same problem (on PC) that URLs of old bookmarks are suggested in the address bar although I removed those bookmarks. The only way to manually remove these suggestions which I've found to work for me is:

1. open the URL of the old bookmark
  2. add URL as bookmark, bookmark name and folder doesn't matter
  3. remove the bookmark again

Now, the URL shouldn't be suggested anymore.

barry__b
Making moves

To fix this on Fedora Workstation, I deleted the file

places.sqlite

from the profile folder

there you go, mozilla, free work.

@barry__b wrote:

To fix this on Fedora Workstation, I deleted the file

places.sqlite

from the profile folder

there you go, mozilla, free work.

That's a little bit drastic, but if you don't mind flushing your history, and Firefox has a bookmark backup to recover from (check the bookmarkbackups folder in the profile folder), then it is an option.

Another method is to visit the site again, then open

"3-bar" menu button > History

right-click the entry on the list and choose "Forget About This Site." That should deep clean it out of Firefox.

barry__b
Making moves

Yes, best to make a backup of your bookmarks first.

Sometimes places.sqlite becomes corrupted and deleting it is the only method that works.