cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File "storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal" keep growing with no limit

tanny
Making moves

storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal keeps growing since Firefox was installed. And .sqlite file is never updated.

I thought that wal is a temporary journal file and sometimes commited to .sqlite, so the .sqlite file should be update and the wal file would have zero content.
Why is Firefox skipping commits?

tanny_0-1674785810487.png

This makes Firefox boot very slowly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jscher2000
Leader

@tanny wrote:

storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal keeps growing since Firefox was installed. And .sqlite file is never updated.

I thought that wal is a temporary journal file and sometimes commited to .sqlite, so the .sqlite file should be update and the wal file would have zero content.

Whoa, yes, my storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal file is 31 megabytes. That seems a bit extreme.

When I view the file in Notepad++ (a text editor), it is full of host names of sites I've visited. At first glance, it looks like over 480 copies of my exceptions list from the NoScript extension.

I do think my updates to my exceptions list are being stored, but it's annoying that the -wal file is not cleaned up. I filed a new bug report: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1813330

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ivyevelyalbert
Making moves

The WAL file can be seen to grow to 100 MB around the 8 s mark before the database starts increasing to 100 MB after SQLite's automatic checkpoint occurs. When the same data is written with a commit after each row (1 MB of data), automatic checkpointing is allowed to run without any restriction.

jscher2000
Leader

@tanny wrote:

Whoa, yes, my storage-sync-v2.sqlite-wal file is 31 megabytes. That seems a bit extreme.

When I view the file in Notepad++ (a text editor), it is full of host names of sites I've visited. At first glance, it looks like over 480 copies of my exceptions list from the NoScript extension.

I do think my updates to my exceptions list are being stored, but it's annoying that the -wal file is not cleaned up. I filed a new bug report: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1813330