cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legitimater
Strollin' around

Here's my vision to revamp Firefox Screenshot:

When clicking the screenshot icon on the toolbar, the built-in addon should instead take a screenshot immediately, instead of resizing a screenshot, capturing visible or full page, as shown in fig 1.PNG

HOWEVER, If you don't like that, The addon should have a setting that you can access in Addons & Themes > Firefox Screenshots > Options. This also means unhiding the built-in addon from the Addons & Themes menu.

Upon opening up the menu, The devs can add as much setting they can envision (than my vision right now) as they want. But in my vision, It will have 4 core setting: One-Click Screenshot, or Show Options (If set to Show Options, they will show the fig 1.PNG as usual.)

Feel free, Devs of Firefox to innovate this idea as much. I'm just a consumer/customer and aren't a dev of Firefox 🙂

Thanks!

- L.

7 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

sfoster
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the ideas Legitimater. It sounds like you are really wanting to remove clicks and steps. Can I ask how you normally use Screenshots? The full page / visible page buttons are already trying to streamline this flow for frequent users, but if you always make the same choice I can see how that looks like an extra click. We are starting to think about other outputs and options in here, so we'll need to keep this in mind.

Legitimater
Strollin' around

Hello and thanks @sfoster for replying to my suggestion.

I always use Firefox Screenshots in the "Capture Visible" mode when screenshotting a website.

Here's another idea though (although a minor revision): In future updates, the Firefox Screenshot will retain the same ui as fig 1.PNG, but with the added option to remember the choice, and the only way to "break" that remembrance is going to the Addons & Themes (Ctrl + Shift + A) > Firefox Screenshots > Options menu.

I'd really love to see this in action, so please devs (not to put pressure on y'all), code this if you can

Thanks!

- L.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe just let us set shortcuts for either screenshot mode ... then people can just use that to activate the mode they want.

Legitimater
Strollin' around

Good idea, @Anonymous, write that down, Mozilla Devs!

- L.

Goobly

I just discovered the 'take screenshot' shortcut and it's an awesome idea but doesn't execute too well. When I select 'take screenshot', I get the crosshairs icon, the happy face with eyes that follow the mouse, and a hash mark rectangle that auto selects various objects on the page. I want to do something really easy, like click spacebar, to copy the auto-selected object into the clipboard. I don't need or want to drag the crosshairs around my image, because autoselect does that beautifully for me, and selects the edges perfectly.

In fact there are two bugs happening here:

1) If I move the mouse to select 'Save Visible', the auto-selected object is lost and I end up copying the entire window. Not handy.

2) If I do use the crosshairs to select part of the screen, the top edge of the selection is always at the VERY TOP of the browser window. This is definitely a bug.

This is the website I was trying to use the feature on:

https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/fireplaces/napoleonathome

Click on a fireplace and try the Take Screenshot feature to know what I mean.

sfoster
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the feedback Goobly. We've had a few people express an interest getting to a screenshot with fewer clicks or interactions, and after discussing your post we just filed a bug to look into adding keyboard shortcuts to copy or download whatever the current selection is, within the Screenshots UI. The selected region is analogous to a text selection where you would expect ctlr+c to put that selected text on your clipboard. Doing the equivalent for the cropped screenshot seems like a good idea.

The Napoleon website seems to have errors and is missing the main page content for me so I can't comment on the behavior with the selection edge you are seeing there.