cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neopolitan
Strollin' around

Since Chrome 90, there has been a feature which allows users to highlight some text on a given webpage and create a link which, when visited, highlights the text again. The link is appended with #:~:text= with the text to be highlighted being URL encoded and put after. A simple but incredibly useful feature I recon Firefox could benefit from.

13 Comments
Alc
Strollin' around

Copy links leading to specific page text/sections and highlight them

When browsing, be able to select/highlight text that is of particular interest, then right-click and select something similar to Chrome's "Copy link to Highlight".

When this link is followed it will take the user to the highlighted text on the page, ideally even highlight the text that was of interest.

This speeds up referral to sources and pointing out specific portions of text, whether to others or building your own reference library as I am for some topics of work.

Screenshot attached shows how the 'Symbols' section of the United Kingdom wikipedia page is highlighted, if opened with Chrome using this feature. Whoever follows the link will immediately be directed to this section of the page, rather than the top of the page as usual.

Mugsy323
Strollin' around

Add ability to bookmark a SPECIFIC LINE OF TEXT on a page.

Have you ever wanted to send someone a link to a specific point on a lengthy webpage? Sometimes, you are lucky and the author included anchors throughout the page to specific topics (and even then that anchor might not be specific enough.) Or maybe you wish to bookmark something specific on a particular page w/o having to hunt for it later?

Add the ability to highlight a line of text on a webpage and create a link that'll take you/others directly to that line of (highlighted) text.

This wouldn't be difficult. Simply append the desired text to the page's URL (use the existing "#" anchor). Then from a (right-click) popup menu, offer the option to get the URL of that specific text. Then, when you bookmark/share the URL, it'll take you/them to exactly what you want to see (pre-highlighted.) Other browsers would simply ignore the superfluous link text.

It's a feature no other browser has that would make FF a much more attractive option.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager
bowlesj3

In Chrome when on a web page you can highlight text anywhere in the page and even a lot of text then right click then left click "Copy Link To Highlight" and this enters in the Windows Clipboard a link that when copied into Gmail will take a Chrome user to that web page and navigate to that text and highlight it for them. This is obviously a great efficiency boost.

This works in Gmail, Google Docs, Google sheets, MS-Excel spreadsheets when it calls chrome and MS-access when it calls chrome in VBA code.  Unfortunately it does not seem to work in Firefox. I even tried opening Gmail in Firefox and it did not work when I clicked on such a link.

It seems rather surprising that Firefox does not support this feature so I was wondering if I was missing something here. I checked for this right click feature in Firefox and it is not there. So I assume Firefox does not have this feature yet.  I am sure Firefox users would love this feature and the vote count would be very high. Even better if Firefox has the right click option as well.

Thanks,

John.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: a similar idea has been merged into this thread)

matslarssons

Thanks for the info above, but I can not get it to work in Firefox Release 110.0.1, released February 28, 2023:

When I try to do this: "Simply append the desired text to the page's URL (use the existing "#" anchor). Then from a (right-click) popup menu, offer the option to get the URL of that specific text."

... I do not understand what I need to do to get the popup menu when I right-click. I don't know where to place the cursor when I right-click and how to "offer the option to get the URL of that specific text" Can you please explain what I need to do in more detail?

Thank you!

Mugsy323
Strollin' around

It's a requested feature "@matslarssons". It doesn't exist (yet.)

Bjones
Strollin' around