cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why new tab being created at most right?

zzzh
Making moves

In older versions of firefox, it's created at right side of current tab, which I believe being an advantage to other browsers.

Please restore this, or at least let user have some choices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jscher2000
Leader

There is a pair of settings you can adjust. They aren't on the Settings page so you have to dive into the advanced configuration editor. Here's how:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste insert and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should show these two preferences at the top of the list:

• browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent - default value is false, meaning that in general, new tabs should open at the right end of the tab bar
  • browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent - default value is true, meaning that a link opened in a new tab should open next to the tab that had the link

(C) To ALWAYS open a new tab adjacent to the active tab, for example, when you click the + button, double-click the browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent preference to switch the value from false to true

Success?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jscher2000
Leader

There is a pair of settings you can adjust. They aren't on the Settings page so you have to dive into the advanced configuration editor. Here's how:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste insert and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should show these two preferences at the top of the list:

• browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent - default value is false, meaning that in general, new tabs should open at the right end of the tab bar
  • browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent - default value is true, meaning that a link opened in a new tab should open next to the tab that had the link

(C) To ALWAYS open a new tab adjacent to the active tab, for example, when you click the + button, double-click the browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent preference to switch the value from false to true

Success?

Cool, it works!

Hi, I have another issue, I want to open bookmark on next tab instead of most right tab, how to do that?

BTW: I already did a search in the about:config page for bookmark, but failed to find an item for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable