cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unread count for Thunderbird's Trash folder doesn't update

andrewkantor
Making moves

In T'bird 115, even after emptying the trash and compacting folders, the unread count of the Trash folder doesn't clear. I have to view the (non-existent) contents of the folder and then click another folder. That clears the unread count.

I've also noticed that the Trash folder will often contain several blank messages even after emptying/compacting — don't know if that's related.

I tried a userChrome.css workaround to hide the unread count entirely, but it must have been out of date. Any ideas? Thanks, folks!

8 REPLIES 8

Cengopon
Making moves

Same issue. Thunderbird 115.6.0, Ubuntu 23.10

andrewkantor
Making moves

Continues in 115.7.0 (64-bit) on both Windows 10 and Linux Mint. The unread count won't update unless I click another folder and then back to Trash. This is regardless of whether I use "Empty Trash" or an addon like Xpunge.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

andrewkantor
Making moves

Unfortunately, the userChrome.css change. didn't work — I tried that one already. I can click "Empty Trash" and it continues to show the number of unread messages that had been in the trash. The other change (switching the App Icon Options) has no effect, but I don't think that applies to the count in the folder list.

The only way to get the unread count to update properly is to either select all the messages in Trash and Shift-Delete them, or to use Empty Trash, click out of the folder, and click back in.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Have you tried? right-click on the Trash folder -> Properties and Repair folder

andrewkantor
Making moves

I had not, but I just tried it. No change.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

115.7.0 for my part, i don't know what more to tell you, and i've checked under Windows and Linux and apparently i don't have your problem, of course, it's not the answer you'd expect.

If you wish, you can also chat with
Report a bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home

avamia01
Making moves

In Thunderbird 115, persistent unread counts in the Trash folder might be related to caching or indexing issues. Try rebuilding the index for the affected folder. Right-click on the Trash folder, select Properties, and go to the "General Information" tab. Click the "Rebuild Index" button. Additionally, ensure your Thunderbird is updated, and monitor for any add-ons causing conflicts.