Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,164 REPLIES 3,164

Gobbor
Making moves

Big no. We don't want this intrusive, cumbersome, gimmicky, expensive and predatory tech here. Stop chasing stupid trends.

Victreegal
Making moves

Don't you **bleep**ing dare put this garbage in the only decent alternative to Google Chrome.

FROn
Making moves

not fond of this

gigamuffin
Making moves

I feel like this would be a waste of time. It seems a lot of users aren't all that interested in it (including me), I'd rather see you spend that time and energy on something else.

lemon873
Making moves

The entire reason I switched to Mobile Firefox is because Google wouldn't stop giving me useless AI "help". Do not.

Madfishmonger
Making moves

Absolutely not. No.

Newgraywolf
Making moves

Yeah, I'm with everyone else when I say no.

itspomf
Making moves

Don't.

That's it, that's the post.

oi3nof3i4o34
Making moves

No, thank you. Firefox is a great piece of software, the backbone of a lot of people's work.

From an environmental perspective, introducing such a sloppy and wasteful feature that basically churns a gallon of water and burns fuel to come up with good-looking misinformation would be a catastrophic step in the wrong direction.

I am yet to meet a single Firefox user that finds appeal in bull**bleep** generators, i.e., "AI bots".

alfredo-zauce
Making moves

Why would you ruin the one good browser with AI slop, and the only private one with data harvesting?

Arihuul
Making moves

Under absolutely no circumstances should you implement AI, period. not just as an opt-in feature on the sidebar, but your telegraphed intent to add it to search and tabs means you have singlehandedly made both of those features completely useless, as LLMs do not know *anything*, just hallucinate things that tend to be right on occasion. Do not implement this. Do not implement this *ever*. LLMs are lying machines because they are physically incapable of knowing anything, and I refuse to let you feed my data to one in order for it to continue to be wrong about everything

Arihuul
Making moves

under no circumstances do i want you feeding my browsing data and searches to an LLM - i came here to get *away* from compulsory privacy breaches

Rabbit
Making moves

If you do this, you will lose a massive portion of your users that switched to Firefox to get away from the overuse of AI on other browsers. I personally will stop using Firefox if you even hint at integrating more AI into your browser, even if it can be turned off. I do not trust any corporation that is willing to touch this stuff with a 50 foot pole. You'd be making a horrible mistake.

notavailable007
Making moves

No. In fact HELL no.

Oskar123
Making moves

Please do not encourage the use of generative AI.

I know there are other types of AI that isnt about "creating" content, but generally the ones that are most frequently used by the average person are those that have stolen content (images, text and audio) and refused to compensate the creators for their work.

Therefore I please don not enable AI users, even if it is "opt-in" it is still there to be used.

nuti
Making moves

No thanks. 

I don’t want AI in Firefox in any form. If you do this, I will have to search another browser.

Nuti

feliville
Making moves

PLEASE. begging you not to do this, everywhere online is filled with AI slop already, please don't give us yet another AI assistant.

bd9
Making moves

Do you understand your own user base, or what's left of it?

If I wanted mansplaining-as-a-service sprinkled with bull**bleep** in my browser I'd use Chrome or Edge.

I'd rather not.

Azudah
Making moves

Plz no.... Ai is just en**bleep**tification software, and firefox is the last bastion of sane browsers 😭

Endofwave
Making moves

Please do not. Privacy and AI do not go together. I love Firefox because it is one of the only browsers not completely inundated with AI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to opt out of AI in the Firefox browser? I came to Firefox to escape the Google monolith and to have more data privacy, and I am not interested in any AI in my browser that I cannot opt out of.

arksigh
Making moves

I don't want this at all, as a feature or as an option. Please don't integrate AI into our browsers. It's a privacy concern and a red flag in terms of where the company is headed if they think this is a good idea.

GreatGameDota
Making moves

I'm sure there are countless other high priority things that can get done besides AI. Any of these "AI is already being used!!!" arguments are wrong. Form selection/fill or URL page suggestion or translators have been done for decades. Adding functionality for summarizing a page or naming a group of tabs automatically(????) is not something a majority of people want and is not worth the effort to implement. Giving support to the AI industry encourages the unethical training practices and illegal data harvesting that all large AI relies on. We are all here to support Firefox and the values it represents and don't want it scumming to mainstream big tech VC overhyped slop.

ctseney
Making moves

Please don’t. I don’t want ai in my Firefox. 

Traiken
Making moves

AI is environmentally disastrous, unethical, and deeply terrible. Please stop.

LuinAscending
Making moves

We need AI implemented like we need a McDonald's at the top of Mt Everest. There is not a single software or web service I use that has implemented AI to any useful end. It becomes an obnoxious feature I try to turn off because it never actually serves a need. The AI tools that actually DO things (edge detection in photo editing software for instance) honestly aren't applicable here.

Don't waste resources on adding junk.

raishe
Making moves

Please don't. I already hate the AI in google and I use firefox specifically because you guys are the most honest and well-run browser, and I don't want to see you guys make the same mistake all the other companies are making. Not only that, AI is HORRIBLE for the planet. Please do not insert AI. If you choose to go forward despite everyone telling you 'no', then at least make it to where it can be turned off. But please, just NO. NO AI.

PangolinGerasim
Making moves

Remove this feature. Firefox, of all browsers, should not be getting caught up in the AI hype train. Take the high ground, please and remove this environmental catastrophe and pollution of the information commons.

Felixitous
Making moves

AI services are already bloating every other service on the internet, PLEASE don't add useless and needless features!

se316
Making moves

i don't want AI, stop trying to force AI on us. NO ONE WANTS AI LEAVE US ALONE AND TAKE IT OUT OF THE BROWSER. DO NOT JUST DISABLE IT, FULLY REMOVE IT FROM THE BROWSER AND GET IT OFF MY DEVICES. You want an AI companion? make an extension, don't be yet another company hopping on the supercharged plagiarism train... I have absolutely zero trust in AI and standing by it as a company reduces my trust in you too. Depending on the outcome of this I may need to reconsider paying for Firefox relay if this is how you're wasting it. Directionally, I don't know if I can keep advocating that people use Firefox and Mozilla's various services if you can't stick to your principles.

0x4261756D
Making moves

No, I don't want this feature AT ALL. This feels like another institution that had carved out their niche, found that they lose supporters to competitors and, instead of improving on what made them distinct from their competition, try to incorporate as many features of those competitors as possible in hope of winning those lost back, in turn straying from their defining values, alienating more loyal supporters and failing to get back those they lost because, when in doubt, the original version of the feature that caused the departure is "better" most of the time or the difference at least not worth the cost of switching back.

tallhobbit97
Making moves

Absolutely not. This would make me switch to a different browser, honestly.

nvrthlessthsun
Making moves

Please DO NOT implement AI with Firefox. All AI does is steal art, misinform people, and cause problems. I don't want to look at jumbled words a computer came up with, I want actual results from real humans.

I made a Mozilla account just to respond to this post but I am a long time Firefox user. I stopped using Google completely because of their insistence on using AI. I will absolutely drop Firefox for the same reason.

SophiaM
Making moves

I don't think the environmental damage would be defensible even if it did something experience-enhancing and useful, which it manifestly does not.

thepokemonqueen
Making moves

I started using Firefox to avoid the invasive rubbish other browsers had been implementing, please don't shove thieving generative ai slop into the only good browser we have left! if you claim to care about the planet at all then the sheer amount of resources that get wasted on this is enough of a reason to stop, let alone the ethical and moral minefield that is stealing other people's work to power the ai. nobody asked for this!!!

half
Making moves

Omg no please no

rayneydreams
Making moves

I have switched browsers to firefox exactly because I do not want to be anywhere near any AI usage and because of privacy concerns. If firefox implements this feature, optional or not, I will drop this browser like a hot potato. AI services have become a hallmark of privacy violations and data being used without one's consent. You say this will not violate your user's privacy, but where are you getting the data from that the AI will be using? AI scrapes data from the internet without consent being even a question. Other users have already pointed this out, but there are tons of ethical and environmental concerns. If you want your userbase to rapidly drop in numbers, go ahead and get involved with AI. I think this is honestly the stupidest thing you could do, given that so many users have come to you exactly because other browsers use AI and do not care about privacy. I saw other people recommend Firefox to me over and over in this manner and that's the reason I started using it.

You should drop any attempts at integrating AI into the browser or any of your products and seriously reconsider the ethical and environmental issues caused by this, as well as what your userbase wants. Because this is the exact opposite of it.

Until this issue is resolved I'll stop updating this browser, and if you continue to go down this alley, I will stop using it entirely. Please reconsider this. There are many people who really don't want to stop using Firefox.

mickleburger
Making moves

there's no ethical way to follow the llms fad lads this is a serious black mark on firefox's otherwise excellent record

karose
Making moves

I am glad you are trying this as an opt in experiment. I choose not to use ai because of the enormous power usage needed for generative AI, the way it is often misused and trained on content that it should not be, and how frequently it generates misinformation. I do not plan to turn on this feature. I hope the users of Firefox feel the same way and you see results that guide you not to continue adding AI features to the web browser.

mmiller520
Making moves

No AI please!