Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,169 REPLIES 3,169

Torbjorn
Making moves

Looks horrible. What's powering it? Something transparent about its 100% kosher training data with no intellectual property theft in it?

NoxEther
Making moves

The feature is useless; for those who want to use AI, it doesn't save them that much time or effort. As for those who do not want AI in our browser, it feels like a betrayal.

Firefox has built its brand on being the privacy-focused, human-first browser. Implementing AI goes against that branding and will turn people away. I've been using Firefox for two whole decades, and I am completely ready to let go of the convenience, the add-ons, and all the bells and whistles, to adopt one of the clunkier FOSS alternatives.

I will say it once again. The issues people have with AI-- the environmental, ethical costs, on top of the absolute mediocrity of its output-- go against the core values of Firefox. By adopting AI, by maintaining this features after all the previous angry and upset replies to this thread, you are telling us: we are not what we told us you were; we would rather hop on the AI bubble than provide you with the service you've come here for.

I am not hoping much from this, given how previous replies has been answered; clearly you're asking on feedback for a feature you intend to implement no matter what. Well! That is despicable, and I hope whoever decided this gets to reflect, reconsider, and steer their life on a more honest path.

^^^^

this, this is the one. couldn't have put it better myself.

wyvernsflight
Making moves

Please do not add any AI features.

suissujin
Making moves

Please dont

If someone wants those features, add ons will be able to cover that. To make it a core feature would be devestationg for the future trust we can put into firefox and its safety claims.

If it has to be implemented no matter what, at least make it opt in.

nineadrianna
Making moves

I do not find 99% of AI features to be useful, and this is no exception. AI has simply become a buzzword that most companies feel the need to integrate immediately for fear of irrelevance. I was hoping Mozilla would know better than to bend to the trend, and I hope it wises up to the fact that people prefer Firefox BECAUSE it's different from other browsers, not in spite of that fact.

idkman5425243
Making moves

Are you gonna explain what "ai" you are going to be even testing because that's just a buzzword. is it an llm thats gonna hallucinate and tell people poisonous mushrooms are edible? is it a predictive algorithm?

onyxior
Making moves

No ai, p l e a s e

EShaker
Making moves

I think it's telling, by the way, how there has been a fairly overwhelming "No" in reply to this over three months, and those answers - which you asked for! - are being ignored. While Mozilla employees are in the replies implying ableism, ignorance, or asking "well gosh have you tried it?" Like not wanting LLM trash integrated into the browser is just some knee jerk reaction, not a reasoned, thought through decision arrived at by intelligent adults. We understand what we are saying to you, and what we are saying no to.

What was the purpose of asking for feedback on the first place?

AlexisSophia
Making moves

No to AI in Firefox! I've been a loyal user since Firefox was first implemented, and this change will make me switch to an alternative—even one I otherwise like much less! Please don't do this 😞

pringus
Making moves

While the option is nice for the people who wanted it, I think it would be better to have it as an optional feature that has to be installed, like Facebook Container, Firefox Colour, Relay, etc., not installed by default.

isopodshuffle
Making moves

No one wants this. 

SLW
Making moves

Please don't do this.  I'll absolutely revoke my monthly donation to Mozilla if I'm gonna be dealing with trying to get around that AI crap.

RusMcLaughlin
Making moves

Hey there! Loyal Firefox user for decades now.

It's good that this is an optional thing. Because if and when you add AI services to your sidebar as a permanent feature, I will delete Firefox off all my platforms and migrate to a different browser. 

I do not need another worthless AI spraying disinformation across my screen, which it has likely stolen from other people (and possibly me as well) and repackaged as Accurate with zero ability to recognize that people on the Internet talk a lot of **bleep**. And the fact that Mozilla has bought into these counterproductive, possibly illegal practices (along with their immense environmental deficits) honestly has me already researching other browsers with better priorities.

AI does have important use cases -- security comes to mind -- but this? No. Absolutely not.

friendlyfrank
Making moves

Please do not bring in AI to firefox. It's horribly wasteful to the environment, often inaccurate to outright false in the information it presents, and just not a useful tool for what I want. My heart sank in my chest when firefox pushed an AI 'check reviews' tool while I was shopping! AI is part of why I swapped TO firefox in the first place.

Also, I am myself heavily disabled. Mentally and physically. So please no "Well for disabled people" nonsense.

simonjadis
Making moves

Absolutely not. I have been strongly recommending Firefox for people who need a better browser. This garbage does not belong on this or any browser. I'm excited for  "AI" to go the way of NFTs, and every time that another product tries to push this on users, it prolongs this farce. Enough.

ChrisWare
Making moves

Please keep this AI garbage out of our browser. Not only is it garbage, but it's terribly environmentally unfriendly. I don't want it and definitely don't need it.

211rB
Making moves

As respectfully as possible, I'm begging everyone who has a hand in this to absolutely under no circumstances implement any of this "AI" stuff here.

It goes against just about everything that I love about firefox; in functionality, in the UI, and just...on principle. 

I wouldn't be pleased about it, but I would find a new browser to use. I hope my hand will not be forced, I love firefox! But my opposition to "AI" outweighs that enjoyment. I can and will do everything in my power to avoid offering an ounce of support for programs (and even just companies) that use it.

rekishi
Making moves

oh no. no. why??? this is not necessary and we should have at least some place where we're not forced to be subjected to AI BS. if anyone wants to use AI let them but there are enough other browsers that have that. leave us alone! it just costs resources and won't have any added value.

Tadaforever
Making moves

No thanks!!! No thanks with extreme prejudice!!

lowikian
Making moves

I think having ai in the browser is not bad, altough you should always be able to disable it.

Christ_OFF
Making moves

Please focus on making the best browser
AI could and should always be extensions
What could be a good reason to add AI inside Firefox ?
I can't find any

zarky
Making moves

absolutely not. don't do this. you are better than this. Firefox is better than this. with everything getting AI crap shoehorned into it, be the one bastion of sanity that doesn't. Firefox needs to remain free from trendy bull**bleep** and be nothing else but a good secure browser with a focus on privacy.

NO AI IN FIREFOX

lufthansel
Making moves

not today thanks. or ever.

KateW
Making moves

PLEASE NO

slbecker
Making moves

no ai ever, thanks

odj
Making moves

keep this garbage out of firefox

vinny1
Making moves

My suggestion would be to do it like DuckduckGo: they have a page that provides a layer to these chatbots, so you don't have to access their pages or provide personal accounts. I think this improves privacy for these closed source chatbots.

bmagouirk
Making moves

Firefox has been one of the few bastions of integrity on this hellscape of an internet -- please do not add AI tools, features, etc, to Firefox.

Kyoria
Making moves

I do not understand why i would need any AI features in my browser of choice.  Firefox is not missing anything for me.  Let users make ai addons - again not sure of a use case for ai and this post doesnt say much at all - if needed.  If people want ai features, wouldnt the community create?

AraSigyrn
Making moves

This is an awful idea. You should NOT do this

sdaugust
Making moves

"AI" is a plague. It's fueled by huge amounts of data theft and somehow even more energy waste, and it fills the internet with misinformation and regurgitated data sludge. There are actual use cases for it (i.e. generating new proteins) but this is not one of them. I thought Mozilla was one of the few organizations that could be counted on not to drink the Kool-Aid on this, but I guess not.

LordTheodore13
Making moves

Please get rid of this.

Flutteringhorde
Making moves

Very weird to be adding this a feature when the bubble around AI is deflating and most of these services are unlikely to exist or be paywalled in another year. Why waste development time on this when it's very clearly not sticking around?

BirdBits
Making moves

I find it concerning that an organization I want to trust re: online security and ethical use of the internet is buying into the hype of an unreliable and unsustainable gimmick. Stop lending credibility to these things, the misinformation is dangerous and the resources could be used for better things.

vbfdoee
Making moves

I cannot overstate how disappointed I am to see Mozilla join in on the bandwagon of companies imposing unwanted, ineffective, and wasteful AI "features" onto their users. I use Mozilla products because I appreciate that y'all are different from the Googles, Microsofts, and Apples of the world that are driven by investor groupthink over making useful software, but this proposal forces me to reevaluate that naive impression. It's even more disappointing to see this come up this far into the AI hype bubble, when it's so clear that these systems aren't the magic beans they were sold as, and that users as a whole simply don't need or want them.

licotain
Making moves

We don't need ai in a browser.

jessiomg
Making moves

Pls do not. I might as well be using chrome!

silveredfoxes
Making moves

Please no. I have yet to have even one (1) good experience with an AI bot, but even if they were a good replacement for customer service, even if generative AI created good writing or art, the environmental impact alone would be reason enough to say no.

This bubble is also going the same way Crypto did but at double time. So it's just a bad decision, business-wise, to get involved at this point.