Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Nightly Experiments (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

61 REPLIES 61

Any suggestions on what's a nice UI for adding custom prompts? The current way with about:config preferences is more for advanced testers, but it could work for you in the meantime. Or if not, what prompts were you wanting to add and perhaps we can add it to the default list.

myspace
Making moves

Thanks going to try it out now!

FastBrowser2022
Making moves

I tried using the right click > Simplify text option with Gemini. It worked the first time, but the 2nd time Gemini did a bot check. It otherwise worked fine after completing it.

I also tested it with Chat-GPT 4o, this worked for summarizing the same text and simplifying content.

However I noticed there is no context menu option to simply highlight text and re-write text in an unsubmitted text input field

A quick test of this text input field for replying 📝 seems to work for selecting the text and passing it to the chatbot 🤖. However the current sidebar integration requires copy/pasting the result back to the original text input field 📋.

What were you wanting to do with this if it was more seamless? 🤔

rewrite emojis.png

lackey
Making moves

Considering the privacy problems, corporate centralization, and environmental issues caused by the companies represented in Mozilla's AI chatbot integration, I have some potential recommendations, ranked from most to least palatable.

• Entirely discontinue this experiment and stop pursuing AI.
  • Cannibalize the work done for integrating these 4 proprietary websites into Firefox, and use it for allowing users to add any website of their choice to the sidebar (like Floorp, Edge, or Vivaldi).
  • Continue developing AI, but as a browser extension that is not shipped with Firefox.
  • Continue developing AI, and ship it as a browser extension that can be fully erased by users if they so choose.

these two last ones are not the same? would be just a new extension on the mozilla store, like adguard or multiaccount containers, simply tab groups, etc

advpod
Making moves

No.

Stop adding dumb trendy features. Spend engineering effort on integrating features that have nothing to do with browsing the web into a web browser. If I wanted to use a chatbot, I would install a chatbot app onto my computer. Features that have nothing to do with browsing the web have no place being in a web browser.

eladio77
Making moves

Amazing feature. I find the funtion, but when i have active the vertical tabs i can not see the Boton "Chat IA", only i can see it without "Vertical Tabs" active. Can you add the shortcut access to the Vertical Tab menu?

If you're referring to the new "sidebar.revamp" (with "sidebar.verticalTabs"), you should now have the AI chatbot icon available as shortcut access in today's Nightly.

revamp chat tool.png

Very nice! But please add a keyboard shortcut to open it as well.

Edit: I didn't see where you had replied to my earlier suggestion. Please disregard, sorry!

Thanks..  is working ...

nclm
Making moves

Please Mozilla, don’t get lost. AI chatbots is a very silly feature, and it makes it hard to take you seriously. I know investors love it these days when tech companies integrate anything “AI” in their product, but you’re Mozilla, we all expect you to behave differently and for the good of the users and the web. There is no demand for AI chatbots, only unsolicited offer from the tech world, please don’t be part of this! There is nothing ethical about about offering a feature that is consistently giving misinformation based on stolen data processed on energy and water wasting machines. It would be lovely if you could focus your ressources on actually improving the browser and on communication campaigns to get more users, not on jumping on the latest fad. Thank you ❤️

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

I want the AI chatbot feature, it's free, unlimited and no account login, and there are no geographical restrictions, and I don't want to be blocked because I'm in China

Are you able to download and run a https://llamafile.ai as that would be free, unlimited and no account login. It runs on your computer, so you don't need internet access to chat, but it could be slow depending on your hardware.

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

It would be even better if AI could be used for search, enabling an open-source AI model locally, and when searching, the AI aggregates the search results and answers them in the form of a human conversation, just like a chatbot

Are you suggesting the chatbot to look at the search result page content or would you expect Firefox/chatbot visit some linked pages for you? There are AI services that do this like https://perplexity.ai that you could configure as a custom provider and also supports passing in your custom prompts.

I want the chatbot to look at the content of the search results page, summarize it based on the content, and answer in human language

piradata
Making moves

Loved the feature, I always have a open tab just for chatgpt, so its a big win, and its nice that it can be disabled or opt in/out for people that don't like it.

What I miss is just a way to simply open the chat on the sidebar, the only way I found is to right click and chose one option in 'Summarize', 'Simplify Language' or 'Quiz Me', but neither of these options can be used to just open a plain clear new chat, and if I close the sidebar, there is no way to open it again on the previous conversation.

What i would suggest, is simply a button on the bookmark toolbar, to simply open close the chat, that would suffice already 🙂

You can Customize toolbar to add a sidebar toggle button, and the chatbot will open a plain new chat. If you are logged in to some chat providers, you should be able to access previous conversations as well. Potentially Firefox could restore the last conversation, but others might prefer a clear chat, so maybe we could restore when reopening as well as provide a button to start new?

The improved sidebar also has a button to open/close the AI chatbot (as well as other sidebar tools).

francois79
Making moves

Hey

Thanks for the work done.

I do not understand why you plug only onto private llm services where some of them are using private llm 

My ideal is to be able to connect to llm model server such as https://github.com/ollama/ollama
Or https://github.com/vllm-project/vllm
Best through proxies https://github.com/BerriAI/litellm

Is it possible?

You can configure a custom provider to any url including those running on a local server such as your own computer. At a glance, it looks like there's various web UIs for ollama that can be separately installed, so you could at least have a private chatbot in the sidebar, but I'm not sure if any of them currently accepts passing in prompts. https://llamafile.ai is another llm model server that has a built in web chat interface that accepts ?q=prompt urls.

Potentially Firefox can directly interface with these services to render a custom Firefox chatbot or power non-chatbot experiences instead of currently requiring a web chat interface.

SpidFightFR-Dev
Making moves

Hey guys, i just tried to nightly version, with AI stuff.

Honestly it's good, but it would better fit the standards of privacy Mozilla displays if it was possible to download and run models (E.G: 7b llama3 or Mixtral models) from the web browser (considering the pc running firefox is powerful enough). In a similar fashion of GPT4All.

It would allow for a less-powerfull yet completely offline model execution.

Just food for thoughts, it's similar to the "localhost" approach with locallama, it's not very practical on windows for example, it would require a docker instance running on wsl to make something clean.

Peace - Spid. ✌️