cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple firefox icons in mac os x dock after upgrade to 112

okfine
Making moves

After upgrading Firefox from version 111.0 > 112.0 every time I quit Firefox another icon now shows up in the dock? If Firefox is closed x3 then 3 Firefox icons show up now (Ventura 13.3.1) Any help would be appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47

Osiris
Making moves

Same here on a MacBook Air from 2020 > Very strange !

Each Firefox close produce a new Firefox icon in the Dock

You can reset your Firefox by removing two files, but remember to backup your bookmarks, before you do that - it worked for me.
The files I have removed was installs.ini and profiles.ini - maybe you only need to remove one of them.
The location of the files:
/Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/Firefox

Sorry but i have no clue how to do this. Normaly all was working well.

This is the first time i have problems with Firefox, i also do not know

how to store my bookmarks for a total new installation ...

I can not find such option in Firefox

These always new Icons are 👎

Killhippie
Making moves

Same here, except I don't get a new icon, my dock starts to move like its going to create one then bounces back, tried a profile restore and downloading Firefox again, no idea what's going on. Had to be a bug with Firefox or maybe Mac OS Ventura, mines on a intel iMac circa 2017 BTO

Charley
Making moves

Sorry, I placed an answer for Osiris, but it should have an answer for you 🙂

Dont know why it didn't do it the first time but refreshed my profile and all is well, thanks for the help. 🙂

Actually, I’ve noticed something if you unable Firefox to clear cookies and history it does not create multiple icons it but if you turn that on it does. I have Firefox generally set to to delete cookies and site data but now if I have that ticked it also for some reason automatically ticks the box to clear history too, when Firefox closes which is new behaviour, it didn’t do in version 111, so if I have those ticked because you can’t have one without the other for some reason, when you close Firefox 112 it does that weird adding an extra icon thing. It’s really annoying. If I untick delete cookies and site data and now delete history after resetting my profile it not does try to add another icon in the dock, so the only way round this is for myself is to have  Firefox not set to delete history ticked, this got turned on with 112 since I have cookies and data set to delete and as mentioned turn one on and the other now gets turned on then it doesn’t do that bounce and reproduce new icons, it does not remove the cookie data when shutting Firefox down any more as delete history and Cookies and data on shutdown are now linked for some reason.
 Add ons I have are Ublock Origin and Firefox's Facebook Container. Try resetting your profiles to see if it stops this unwanted behaviour, or delete history when Firefox closes to see if that stops it as it has for me until this gets patched.

Anukode
Making moves

In Monterey 12.6.5 the same thing happens. When I close Firefox my dock starts moving as if to create a new icon.
When you try to open Firefox again, it doesn't open and you have to wait before you can open it again.

What a botched new version!! 🙁

Anukode
Making moves

In Monterey 12.6.5 when I close Firefox my dock starts moving as if to create a new icon.
When you try to open Firefox again, it doesn't open and you have to wait before you can open it again. ☹️

spicy83
Making moves

This is also happening on Big Sur on my Mac mini.

I'm also on Big Sur - my issue is a bit more weird. When I quit Firefox 112.0, the Dock starts moving strangely, as if new items in the 'minimized' portion were trying to appear, then failing, and repeating.  But then eventually Firefox crashes. Just briefly mentioning this here, I'll look around & see if anyone has yet submitted a bug report similar to this behavior I'm seeing (crashing after trying to quit).

Charley
Making moves

Killhippie, you are quite right, if I tick "Delete cookies..." the odd behavior with the extra icons is back - my test wasn't good enough. I have also tried a complete new install, after renaming "/Users/my_user_name/Library/Application Support/Firefox", without any difference in behavior.

Has Mozilla been made aware of this mess? I notice they had lots of new team help on board and volunteers, I'm not saying that the issue is their fault but its funny how this is one of the buggiest releases since they have told us that about the new team members and volunteers!

These issue needs to be fixed quickly, as does not being able to just have delete cookies and site data on without clear history when Firefox closes being turned on as well by ticking delete cookies and site data, which was never how the browser worked before. I just like to clear cookies and site data but not clear Firefox history, that worked fine in 111, this is a right mess and one of those settings causes this extra icon mess to trigger.

Yes, quite annoying. Another workaround could be to disable "Show recent applications in dock", but of course this is not so convenient. Go to System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Dock > Show recent applications in dock.

MrLee
Making moves

I have same problem with my MacBook Pro, Big Sur.  It works fine with History set in normal mode, never remember history mode causes multiple Firefox icons in dock.  Anybody at FIREFOX listening?

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear about this issue. For help finding a fix, please visit our Support site—per the Community Guidelines, that is the proper place for help with any technical or performance-related issues.

For example, this previous thread may have a solution: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1380326

Or if you’re unable to find a solution in an already existing thread, here’s a link to the new question form: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new

I'll also pass this along to our Support team so we can hopefully get this quickly resolved.

Thanks for the heads up, but it’s not the handoff feature as I have handoff turned off on my Mac. This seems to be affecting Intel Macs so far from what I can tell. If you could pass this on to whoever needs to have the information because this is becoming really frustrating and I’m surprised Mozilla hasn’t heard more about it yet. Thanks again for your help.  

Just to let you know, I have an old Macbook Pro Intel and a newer Mac Mini M1, and they are both affected.

Great to know if one person maybe files a detailed report and links to this page that will get the wheels moving. Multiple reports might not help. I’m sure. I remember seeing in reports before if it’s the same bug reported over and over again, it doesn’t really help matters.

I have the same issue on mine. I typically have only one icon. Now I have three. I'm on a Mac Mini M1. Firefox version is 112

spicy83
Making moves

I have been dealing with this issue all day and have gotten used to it. Every time I close Firefox, I get a duplicate icon in my dock. But here is something odd, just minutes ago, I had both Firefox open and Spotify open on my desktop. I closed Firefox first and for some odd reason, no duplicate icon appeared in my dock. First time this has happened. 

Osiris
Making moves

I hope that these annoying double and triple icons will be fixed soon from the firefox team

This is bugging the hell out of me right now, how can something like this be published !?

Johnson
Making moves

This bug was reported four days ago. Status is 'unconfirmed'.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1827659

Killhippie
Making moves

Someone else needs to make a bug report with more detail about the fact that it’s triggered when you use delete cookies and data or delete history, and the fact that you can’t separate those two anymore, either when you click delete history, it now ticks delete, cookies and data and vice versa, where as before they were separate if you turn those off, it doesn’t do the extra icon thing, if someone could post that that would be great and also a link to this forum, where all the posts are would help Mozilla to see that there are many people having this issue. 

I just tested it both ways, with deleting cookies and without deleting cookies and both results ended with the same result: extra Firefox icon on the dock.

Killhippie
Making moves

really odd as on the latest version of macOS Ventura 13.3.1 changing those switches stops it and it does not crash either. In fact no extra icon appears but the dock moves as if one is about to. I think they are now aware of the issue looking at Bugzilla.

Osiris
Making moves

After the new Update > 112.0.1 (64-Bit) < this problem is not solved 👎

Same here. Shame. Maybe in the next iteration. 😪

Taskumalpha
Making moves

Firefox 112.0.1, macOS 12.6.4, MacBook Pro 16" 2019
I have the exact same symptoms. Please fix it as soon as possible.

全く同じ症状です。早く修正して欲しい。

Johnson
Making moves

"approved for 113.0b4", but target milestone is 114.0 (appears in 114.0a1)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1827486

timi
Making moves

yea after new update 112.0.1 multiple firefox icons occur in the dock during browser shutdown. didn't reckognise earlier tho

ScottO
Making moves

I had the same annoying problem with 112 on Monterey, and again after upgrading to Ventura 13.3.1 today. I quit FF and they appeared (all 3) I then went into the System Settings (System Preferences) > Desktop and Dock and turned OFF 'Show recent applications in Dock' - Restarted FF then quit it and the 3 icons did NOT appear. Then went back and turned ON 'Show recent applications in Dock', started FF and after browsing a page or two, quit FF. The icons do not appear now, yet other new 'recently opened' app icons do still appear. Give it a try, weird fix but it worked for me!

Winner! Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!! This worked for me. In Big Sur, in Preferences, it says Dock & Menu Bar. I followed Scott's prompts, and everything is working normally now. Wow!

nights
Making moves

Same problem FireFox 112 also 112.1 on all my Macs

echo6
Making moves

I have just updated my Mac Catalina 10.15.7 to Firefox 112.0.1 (64-bit). Every time I close Firefox it drops another icon in my tool bar..... My tool bar is positioned on the left side of my monitor.. Picture worth thousand words...See attached photo for thousand words.. I have always used and will always use Firefox....My grateful appreciation to everyone making Firefox available to me..

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 07.04.08.png

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

Quick update...

This should be fixed as of now in the release channel. Thanks again for your patience as our team worked on a solution.

So does that mean we have to stay with this problem for five weeks or so on the stable channel until you release version 113 because that’s pretty unacceptable to be honest and I’m not downloading beta software. 

nights
Making moves

I still have firefox 111.1 on MacOS and will not update until the icon problem is fixed.

nights
Making moves

I still have firefox 111.1 on MacOS and will not update until the icon problem is fixed.