cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

<input type="datetime-local"> format should be based on preferred page language or system locale

lgafvert
Making moves

Currently Firefox has two language settings. One for the Firefox app/UI language and one for the preferred language of page content.

The <input type="datetime-local"> element shows a localized input field for entering dates/times. However, the format chosen is based on the setting for the Firefox UI language. So, in my case being european but using English as the Firefox language I get US-formatted date controls, and not the date formatting I'm used to.

Basing the date formatting in these inputs on either the set system locale for date/time format (best) or the setting for preferred page content language (better) would in my mind make more sense and fix these issues for dual-language users like me who prefer English as a UI language but still view local sites in our own language and prefer date formatting based on where we live.

2 REPLIES 2

donnyxray
Making moves

IMHO, both are wrong. The format should not be linked to a language. At best, it can be used to suggest the default format. The user should be able to override the default at all times.

Theo-de-Koning
Making moves

When I change the language to NL next time I open Thunderbird it's back to EN.