cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Workspaces ( Overview )

Richard_Hajek
Making moves

Hey,

First of all, I love all of the new additions from Mozilla! New Thunderbird, K9 and Firefox Android add-ons are all amazing! And I would like to use Firefox instead of Ferdium. As Fredium is basically a browser anyway.

But I noticed that there are multiple tab groups / workspaces ideas out there so I wanted to summary them:

NameSummary
(1) Workspaces a la Opera Basically a vertical list of icons for each Workspace on the side (a button in the toolbar with a dropdown to select Workspaces would suffice), that instantly switch to all the Tabs open in a given Workspace and hides everything else. Pinned Tabs stay with each Workspace. Tab Groups can exist within a Workspace.
(2) Persistent Tab Groups / Workspaces 

Design

Tab group mockup.png

(3) Addon Request - Firefox Workspaces 

That is, I want to be able to create named sets of windows and tabs and switch quickly between them. I work on a number of projects both personal and for work that involve a large number of tabs across multiple windows. I’d like to be able to compartmentalize these. There are plenty of add-ons that let you save a window’s tabs as a named group, then restore it later, but that’s not good enough.

Now all of these I mostly agree with, personally. The main focus is the ability to simply save and load tab sets.

Bare-bones feature list:

• (<source proposal(s)>) <feature>
  • (1,2,3) Load / save a tab set ( henceforth called a workspace )
  • (1,2,3) UI for switching workspaces
  • (1) Ability to declaratively define tabs for each workspace
  • (Me) Inactive workspaces shall be offline / fully unloaded

Comprehensive feature list:

• (1) Fast switching of workspaces (sub second?)
  • (3) Ability to save not only tab sets but tab and window sets
  • (3) Set specific windows/tabs to be open in all workspaces
  • (Me) Configuration option: Make each workspace live in it's own container
  • (2) Configuration option: New window automatically creates a new workspace (true/false)
  • (2) Configuration option: Invincible workspaces - If you close a window with this workspace, it moves to another window, assuming another open window

Unresolved questions:

• Should a workspace be only a set of tabs or windows too (2 proposals for no, one for yes)
  • Should opening a new workspace replace the original or open a new window with the new workspace
  • Should pinned tabs stay opened between workspaces

I personally, would be quite happy with the bare-bones feature set. I just need a button I can punch which will open a set of some tabs I set somewhere.

The closest addon I found are Simple Tab Groups, which while somewhat satisfactory for my usecase, albeit they don't have the declarative configuration and a faster way to switch workspaces, but I'll go with that for now.

0 REPLIES 0