cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox: Safe or unsafe website?

Bo422
Making moves

Why does Firefox say my website is unsafe, when in fact it's not?

Other web browsers such as Chrome, Edge and Opera (all for Windows) as well as Safari (for iOS), says my website is safe, because it is. Of course, I have tested it on a couple of test sites and it scores a perfect 100% on safety. Just not in Firefox. As an amateur web designer it puzzles me quite a lot why this is. Please help me if you can!

Happy New Year!

10 REPLIES 10

smithgeorge550
Making moves

Differences in security settings, SSL certificate validity, mixed content, and browser-specific algorithms can lead to variations in how browsers, like Firefox, assess website safety. Check SSL certification, address mixed content, and ensure no reported issues to address potential discrepancies. Happy New Year!

Bo422
Making moves

Thank you, smithgeorge550.

I have checked my SSL certificate and it seems to be fine. Something else is not right on Firefox.

Do you know if anyone from Mozilla is looking into it?

@Bo422 wrote:

I have checked my SSL certificate and it seems to be fine. Something else is not right on Firefox.

Do you know if anyone from Mozilla is looking into it?

There are lot of different possible issues, so the starting point would be exactly what message you are seeing. For example: unable to connect (look for an Advanced button to access more detail), red warning page (SafeBrowsing detection of phishing or malware), mixed content warning (example elsewhere in this thread), or something else.

JonesBones
Making moves

Hard to comment without URL. Could you at least paste screenshot of how certificate looks in Firefox and any error if there is one? Who is the certificate issuer?

lpweber
Making moves

Here is one that shows security issues on Firefox but on no other browser - You can see the lock icon with a triangle and an exclamation point in it, which indicates insecure images? Neither Safari or Chrome or Opera or Edge does this. This is with Mac Sonoma 14.4.1.

lpweber@mac.com

@lpweber 

It would be helpful if you actually clicked on the padlock to display the reason for the warning icon.

lpweber1
Making moves

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15.46.37.png

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

In addition to jscher2000

About SafeBrowsing detection of phishing or malware
Take a look https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/google-blocked-direct-access-to-our-site-in-firefox/m-p/5...