Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox crashes (maybe ChatGTP) causes a problem

Phaernos
Making moves

Dear all,

this is a message of an observation.

I am using "Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS" and have 16 GB Ram.

When I have like 40 (tabs/windows) open and I want to connect to chatgtp, firefox often crashes. Clicking to wait does not help. I think I experienced it mostly with chatgtp. so It might be a problem with that specific site.

Hope that problem will be solved soon. I enjoy using firefox.

5 REPLIES 5

tilwiti
Familiar face

To be honest, GPT seems to have memory leaks from time to time. Do you have some scripts installed like something for ChatGPT on Tampermonkey?

Thank you for your reply.

No, I did not install any script. In general Firefox can crash when there are many windows open.

But last several times when I open ChatGPT on a new window, it crashed all the time (and there were approx. 40 web-pages open).

My crashes were usually caused by the video card. There are many possible causes. It would be great if you could describe your problem here, as there's direct access to the developers here. Do not hesitate, there may be a time bomb in this bug (like the battery draining non-stop video time counter bug in Firefox Android, which was caused by an external component change as far as I can remember).

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html

(If you're new to reporting bugs, you may want to try getting help from the more experienced contributors. If you're going to report a Firefox bug, you can also get assistance in the #fx-desktop-community room on Mozilla Matrix server. For a list of other projects (e.g., Thunderbird, SeaMonkey), you can find the appropriate rooms on Matrix.)

Thank you for this description. I am happy to contribute and share the problem.

I will read the bug writing page before I report the problem. I have a short question.

Is there an easy way to determine the reason of the crash. Like if it is caused by the video card or any other part.

I believe there are easier ways than I know. Try asking at chat.mozilla.org, log in with your Mozilla Connect account.