cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DreadStorm

As we all (might) know, YT has been in a war against ad-blockers. I just learned the long and difficult way, that they are not, not really. It might be a part of it, but not as a be-all-and-end-all. It turns out that they are actually in a war against any non-Chrome browser users. (Typical Google monopoly.) Ad blocker plug-ins are something of a necessity nowadays, as ads are more of a nuisance than any form of information. All browsers have them, and most people use them, knowingly or not. Well, I found a way to beat them at their own game.

You see, there is undeniable (and quite obvious) code in Google-owned websites. They deliberately designed their pages to inject a 5-second pause before loading and/or playing video, that identifies the browser you use and if it's using a Firefox identifier (as named in the code) the pause executes, ads blow up, and messages about disabling add-ons slam you.

So what I'd done is change the identifier using a plug-in called "User-Agent Switcher" and suddenly all websites suddenly work flawlessly. I set it to Mac OS X/Safari 17, and everything works as it should. This told me 2 things: 1) It's not ad-blockers they're against, its OTHER browsers, and 2) that other browser is actually Firefox.

My idea is either add in a User-Agent string changer, OR a filter of some kind that if a website is owned by Google, that it reports another User-Agent string altogether, completely automatically.

3 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

Do you know
Responsive Design Mode

Other tests with Responsive Design Mode only
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/devtools-user/responsive_design_mode/index.html

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/using-different-user-agents-for-different-web-pages/idc-p/44265...

1.png

Responsive Design Mode
For illustration Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1

magicsmith
Strollin' around

Up please