cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flapjack
Making moves

Wish List item 

In Thunderbird I have Folders for Companies and Individuals based on their email addresses, I want different signatures for each Folder.
This is a feature in the Virtual Access email software, where when a folder is the 'active' or highlighted folder, you use the 'Signature' icon or menu option, and you can then created your 'Signature' for that particular folder.
So for my friends my signature is 'All best, Jonathon' or for my family 'Love, Dad' or 'Love, Jonathon' for acquaintances or companies, a signature that included my address and contact numbers.

11 Comments
drkail69

Please allow multiple signatures ...

... depending on who I'm sending to.  Maybe named and selectable from a dropdown list.

Right now I have all my signatures stored in one file, and have to cut out the ones I don't want on every message I send, depending on the addressee, which is a royal pain.

Otherwise I love me some Thunderbird!

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

davidsk
Making moves

This feature is already in Thunderbird under 'Manage Identities.' A user can set up multiple identities with different names and signatures and they will appear in the composition drop-down menu.

THEFlapjack

Davidsk, the 'Manage Identities' functionality does meet Drkail69's or my needs.
If I read Drkail69's idea correctly and it is the same as mine, we need different Signatures assigned to people with a specific email address, or in my case specific Folders, because I have a Folder for each individual or organisation.
This would leave the default Signature to be used when replying to an email in the Inbox or sending an email to someone who does not have a default Folder.
The now unsupported Open Source email application Virtual Access, was superb in this functionality,VA Sigs.jpg

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

MattAuSupport
Familiar face

As you point out Virtual Access Open Source is no longer in development.v  I managed to track down the source at sourceforge from 2014,  but it does not help in understanding what it is doing. 

However, mail does not just appear in Thunderbird or any other mail program,  it comes into an email address and between identities and the signature switch add-on that process of replying with chosen signatures for mail received in a multitude of email addresses is about completely covered.  It is this association with folders that I fail to understand.  You say "we need different Signatures assigned to people with a specific email address, or in my case specific Folders,"  is this to mean you want a different signature based on the recipient of your emails?

Link to referenced software repository https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Flapjack
Making moves

....... is this to mean you want a different signature based on the recipient of your emails?

It could be based on the recipient's email address but preferably based on the Folder's name  because the Folder will have a Filter sending various email addresses to that folder.

天王寺屋
Strollin' around

@Flapjack,

If you want to set multiple signatures in Thunderbird, click [ Manage Identities...] in the settings screen of the e-mail account for which you set signatures.
Click [ Add...] on the next screen that appears.
This allows you to create multiple sender names and signatures from the same email address.

How to switch signatures from one email to another
When multiple signatures are set for a single e-mail address, "∨" will appear in the From on the compose message screen, and you can select any signature from that pull-down menu to switch between them.

Additionally, there are add-ons regarding "signatures" that are also useful:
Signature Switch
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/signature-switch/
Identity Chooser
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/identity-chooser/
Correct identity
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/correct-identity/

Flapjack
Making moves

None of the above works in the requires manner.
Signatures must be AUTOMATICALLY ascribed to a folder or email address.
None of this selecting this or that or using addons.
Please re-read my functionality request.

Flapjack
Making moves

Please re-read my functionality request.
None of the suggestions meet the requirement.
Signatures should be permanently assigned to a Folder or email address.
No requirement to 'select this or that' to get what you want and definitely NO addons.