cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moonstein
Strollin' around

Currently, all private windows share the same context, including cookies and cache. It would be a great if we could create multiple isolated private windows, offering several advantages:

• With isolated private windows, logins made in one window would remain separate and not visible in others, providing isolation. This prevents other websites from detecting the session or users from accidentally granting access to a different site while using the same credentials.

• It can effectively limit cross-site tracking by preventing trackers from connecting user data across different private windows. This would make it significantly more challenging for advertisers and data collectors to compile comprehensive user profiles.

• Developers would benefit from the ability to create multiple isolation spaces within private windows for testing and debugging purposes.

4 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

vendillah
Making moves

I agree that sometimes this is desirable, but not for everyone. I guess people change their use cases, and so did I eventually, mainly using temporary containers for temporary searches and private browsing for when I need to use a website that would otherwise be redirected to a certain container.

Containers are not supported in private browsing, so it allows me to ignore my existing cookies. Now, when I open a new private window, I have the benefit of continuing working on the website quickly by just opening a new tab anywhere. With separated contexts (which resembles containers in a way already), this wouldn't be possible anymore. A simple change of course is to go to the window that has this website opened. What if the website is closed and I didn't remember which window had it opened? Just food for thought.

Lehmi
Strollin' around

Interesting idea.

As a side note: currently, you can completely isolate browsing with separate profiles, e.g. one for shopping, another one for news, etc.

okay_okay
Making moves

Yes please. I would totally use this.