cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ponycarfan

I have several computers, each with its own iteration of Thunderbird. Just like Chrome and Firefox do for settings and favorites, why can't the address book in Thunderbird be synced so no matter which copy of Thunderbird I open and use, I will have access to all address book entries I've made across all iterations? This is the worst part of using Thunderbird, the frustration of not seeing addresses from another computer's Thunderbird. I really don't understand why this flaw is allowed to exist.

13 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

gromitmk42

Hi, I totally agree with Ponycarfan.  Although I have been a huge fan of TB for years, I now use eMclient for my email as it's Contacts stays synced with my Google contacts.  I regularly check on TB to see if things have improved with the address book, but end up reverting to eMclient.

Gambalunga

Thunderbird Address Book synchronisation

At the moment there is a lot of developement going on with #Thunderbird including the Android version. Quite a bit of the work in the Android version includes integration with the Android Contacts.

I, personally, have 2 PCs, a phone, and a tablet. I have set the Android devices to sync the contacts but there is no easy way to sync contacts across all devices. I also work with an association which uses a number of PCs and it would be useful to synchronise address books (contacts) on those PCs.

In all the discussion of synchronisation on #Thunderbird I have seen no discussion of an option to sync address books and contacts across computers and platforms. I find this a surprising omission as it would arguably be one of the most important features for someone trying to implement #Thunderbird across a number of devices and/or platforms.

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager
Gambalunga

Thanks Jon.

Yes it is really the same topic. For some reason it didn't come up with the search parameters I used.

In any case I will give it a vote because it really is an important feature request which, in my opinion is more important than aesthetic issues as it is a funtional item.

Gambalunga

I agree totally. I had not seen this post until @Jon pointed it out to me after I had posted a similar idea at Thunderbird Address Book synchronisation 

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're welcome! We can merge the two threads (and votes) together to keep the conversation focused in one space. Just let me know 😃

Gambalunga

@JonThat would be great.

Thank you.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)