cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why on earth did you change the private browser settings?

Crissaegrim
Making moves

I don't get it. Up until 127, the browser.privateWindowSeparation.enabled config worked so I could pick whether I want anyone to be able to glance at my screen and see I'm using a private browser or if I'm a normal person who'd rather not have that.

And now you've disabled the ability to configure that without removing it from the about:config and I'd really like to know why? What was the logic behind that? Why couldn't we just keep it configurable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Venetia
Employee
Employee

We have heard all your feedback and are bringing back the “browser.privateWindowSeparation.enabled” pref as an opt in.

We will be using this bug to track the work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Haagee
Making moves

Honestly, as annoyed as I am that they removed that privateWindowSeparation config - it was just a limited easement anyway. Leaving a manual bypass in about:config is just for a small subgroup of advanced users, looking to actively dive into those UI changes to tinker behind the curtain.

For every member of that group, 99 casual users already had to begrudgingly adapt to this particular change back with 106.0 in 2022. Or to be more accurate I should say 63 users, accounting for the 36% drop in Firefox's market share among Windows users since then.

Venetia
Employee
Employee

We have heard all your feedback and are bringing back the “browser.privateWindowSeparation.enabled” pref as an opt in.

We will be using this bug to track the work.

While your fixing that config you mind re-enabling the IoS or Android function to keep private tabs from automatically closing when exiting the FireFox App I find it highly annoying that the app just closes automatically all Private Tabs I had open which was not an issue before this new update 127.0 I understand your aware of the windows problem I but I would like to request you also fix this problem for us Mobile users on IoS and Android instead of constantly defaulting to Standard Tab when app is first opened.

If this option is completely gone and no longer possible then I please ask that you provide a similar function to it or just next find a way to prevent my god **bleep** Private Tabs from just automatically closing when the app is exited cause this is no issue on any other website just Firefox thinking it was a good idea to just get rid of Private Tabs from closing every time the app is exited if the config for browser separation may fix it then that’s good if not then please provide an alternative for what I have said so far 🙂

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg