cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird Supernova 115 : TAGS or FOLDERS, we may have to choose.

j-p_FF
Making moves

DISPLAYING TAGS in the FOLDER PANE

I comprehend that some users may find this option useful.
But it is not the case for me because:
- the tags list reduces the folder pane space for folders;
- one can display the list of tagged emails by search (Ctrl+F) with the clause "Tags" (one can choose several categories by mentioning several clauses).
Admittedly, it is not a quick method but amputating folders display is unacceptable for me.
I have a lot of folders organized in a hierarchical way and they receive messages according to filters for the most part.

The announcement, in a promotion page of Supernova, that "you can also use this menu to hide Local Folders" * is totally surreal in my opinion.
An email agent must provide the capability to dispatch messages in a hierarchical tree of folders.

"Tags" (or "labels" as in Gmail) can replace "folders" on the double condition that the number of tags is unlimited and that one can organize them in a hierarchical tree.
If this double condition is fulfilled it is even better because a single message can get several tags or labels, then be present in different locations in the tree.
If this double condition is not fulfilled then Tags are only a complement that must not amputate the folders tree display (depending on the number of folders you have and how big is your monitor).

So, displaying current Tags in the Folders pane can only be useful to the people who have created only a few folders or have a huge screen.

J-P

* https://blog.thunderbird.net/2023/08/make-thunderbird-yours-how-to-get-the-thunderbird-115-supernova...

1 REPLY 1

wsmwk
Thunderbird Team
Thunderbird Team

Is your idea that tag folders should be offered in a location other than folder pane?  And if so, do you have a suggestion of where to place it?  

Wayne, Community Manager, Thunderbird