cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thunderbird extremely slow deleting emails

vhehn
Making moves

for two years i have been fighting a thunderbird bug. you would think after that long you would have fixed it. when i delete an email it takes up to 5 seconds to delete. the program just freezes during that time. it has to do with the windows virus program not working with thunderbird. 5 or 6 times a day i have to go into windows security and disable real time scan and then it works fine. the problem is windows realtime scan wont stay disabled. is there a work around?

6 REPLIES 6

Mizar
Familiar face

Most ways to disable it would endanger your system.

The best way is getting yourself a real antivirus program.

AntonO
Making moves

I use bitdefender and and worked fine until the latest update. Now it is unusable. Multiselect to delete just deletes a single message in the selected group, which takes forever, and deleting single messages takes a minimum of 5 sec

webdev
Making moves

I have the same problem, using Win11

i wonder if they will ever fix it or if they even care? they keep asking me for a donation but u have been fighting this for years and nothing has been fixed and i cant get a response out of them.

Seeburg2
Making moves

I used to love Thunderbird. Now since they "updated" it, this deletion issue makes it annoying and almost unusable. It is NOT my OS or the computer. This started happening with the last update. Please restore the old method of deletions. It actually worked.

Saramon
Making moves

For Windows Anti-Virus got to:

Virus & Threat Protection Settings > Exclusions > Add or remove Exclusions

Add following folders: (Just adding the Local folder didn't work for me)

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles