cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird 128 redesigned card view feedback

rebootl
Making moves

Hello

Generally I like the tabs much better than the old table view.

However the latest iteration seems to me to go a bit in the wrong direction.

In the blog post you write: "The new layout is more attractive and makes it easier to scan your email threads and glean information at a glance." To me the opposite is the case. It is hard to exactly pinpoint the cause of this. Here are some ideas:

- There is more lines which make it look more like a card. This however adds also more noise.

- The bold sender name in combination with the dark background.

- There is no clear guidance for the eye on where to look.

- There isn't much empty space within the cards elements.

To me it seems the subject should be the most prominent thing in the card. This is where the I should be led to look.

Also when grouped by days e.g., the button to toggle the pane is very small. Previously I believe the whole pane was just clickable which made it very easy to fold it up and down.

Thank you, much appreciated

Cem

7 REPLIES 7

DiGeomel
Making moves

Have you found a solution to revert back to the old look for messages? I also hate those space-wasting cards!

ThePillenwerfer
Familiar face

Click this icon

Screenshot at 2024-10-02 11-34-26.png

and choose Table View.

I did that already, but this it not the view I had before... 😢
Is there no way to just get rid of the space-wasting line at the bottom??

Nerdgasm
Making moves

I created my own post because I didn't see this one first. Someone redirected me over to this one so I'm going to just copypasta what I said in my post.

The newer card style for the email list in Thunderbird overall looks good, but the star favorite button being on its own line is creating a lot of wasted space. I have attached a screenshot of one of my cards as an example.

I use Thunderbird on a 1080p portrait monitor. It is showing me 24 full cards in the list at once, which is a fair amount. However when 1/3 of the space is just blank empty besides the favorite star then that's wasted space. If they moved the star up onto the 2nd line, removing the 3rd line then I could have 8 entire more cards in view at once. Alternatively if the email preview could just roll over onto the 3rd line with the star, that would also solve this because it wouldn't be wasted space and I could actually get a better preview of the email.

I have played around with density and font size, but nothing addresses the root of the issue. At this point I'd even settle for just removing the favorite star button altogether to get rid of the blank 3rd line.

I totally agree! For me the cards were just fine before v128! Now I am forced to switch to table view only because of this waste of space! And on top of that, even the folder view is now a bit more ...spacious, like they increased the margin between folders by 1-2 pixels on top and bottom! Seriously, I'm even thinking of downgrading! For me that was one of the main selling points of Thunderbird as opposed to other e-mail clients.

Not enough to make me downgrade, and table view is horrible for me using it on a portrait monitor with reading pane to the right of the email list.
I'm willing to stay with this version, but it will be so much better if that space in the email card can either just be used or gotten rid of.