cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird 115 cursor positioning within any mail folder

greenbeard
Making moves

I just updated to v115 on two Windows machines.  One thing that bugs me with v115 is that the last message received within any given folder is not being shown at the bottom of the folder the way it happed in previous versions of Thunderbird.  This seems to be a random problem.  Let's say I read all new messages in a folder leaving the last message read at the bottom of the folder window, then shift to another folder (or more).  When I shift back to the first folder, the last message read will be out of sight below the folder window.  It's as if I had scrolled up to a much earlier message, bit I did not scroll up before leaving this folder.  This is happening on both newly-upgraded machines.  

22 REPLIES 22

trustable
Making moves

I have the exact same issue under Manjaro Linux since the latest update. 
I searched in Bugzilla for this bug, but did not find anything matching.

greenbeard
Making moves

Another disconcerting issue is the fact that the tool bar appears under the message bar, not the reverse as in the past.  NOT GOOD!!!  I also note that it's no longer possible to get messages for only one email address rather than the entire suite of configured mailboxes.  We are NOT amused.  To make matters worse, it's not possible to revert to the previous version without starting from scratch and losing all previous email messages.  

For me it worked to switch to an older version. I created a new Thunderbird profile and then imported the old profile. It imported everything.

That worked reasonably well for me on one computer, and I reverted to 102.114.0  The second one went to hell in a handbasket.  Now I need to delete everything and reconstruct the installation on the second one.  What a pain in the asparagus!  

To change the order of the menu bar and icon toolbar is to edit the CSS userChrome.css in the "C:\<Users>\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<yout_profile>.default\chrome\". If the "chrome" fodler does not exist (which should not), create it, and create two text files named "userChrome.css" and "userContent.css" (not sure if the latest is mandatory or not). Edit the "userChrome.css" file as below:

#toolbar-menubar {
order: 1;
}

unified-toolbar {
order: 2;
}

#tabs-toolbar {
order: 3;
}

Hope this helps.

I had to edit this for the same issue and also for a problem of interline between rows of the folder tree vs mail list. I had to add:

tr[is="thread-row"]{
height: 22px !important; /* use 20 for Table View */
}

(or whatever value is fine for you).

But anyways, this revision of TB is far from being perfect (UI-wise) on sever other points (like the middle-mouse scroll-speed, which is completely off). I hope they'll soon fix *all* these issues.

pvollebr
Making moves

I have the same Issue (Thunderbird 115 on Opensuse leap 15.5 using classic view on a Laptop with scaling enabled, newest message below in the Massage List panel)

But also the Message List Panel jumps when deleting a message and such, changing the positioning based on the message having focus or such. Making me sick...

Is it possible to inactivate/improve this auto-focus thing in the other than that NIce new Thunderbird Supernova release?

Alas I cannot find a bug or anything. Only this thread.

I'm experiencing the same issue with the Message List Pane where I can delete a message, and then the entire list updates and my highlighted message is nowhere to be seen on the screen, so you have to scroll around to find where it repositioned you to.  Annoying.

I was able to "solve" it by deleting the userChrome.css file wihe the updates I added in the past.

Can you provide details? Is this a safe workaround, and should it work for all users?

The userChrome.css file is a file that can be created (or exists) in your Thunderbird profile that can be used to update the interface. I used it in the past to make the visibility better (like enabling striping). The support was always flaky. So it working depends on what you did. If you do not know anything about it you probably never created one. Where to locate it (and what it can do)" see here.

What I did interfered with the new version. I actually did not remove it completely. I have a version that just makes the menu still on top (I dislike it when one application is different from all others).

My current file (enabling some striping and moving around the toolbars) is below. With this version I had no jumping around anymore:

/* :::: thunderbird tweaks nova version :::: */

@namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");

/* ### Again put the toolbar on top and the unified toolbar 3d #### */

#toolbar-menubar {
order: 1;
}

#tabs-toolbar {
order: 2;
}

unified-toolbar {
order: 3;
}

/* :::: Update font of Folder pane - works only for classic view - makes jumpy :::: */
/*
tr[is="thread-row"] {
height: 21px !important;
font-family: "Verdana" !important;
font-size: 12.0px !important; }
*/

/* :::: Zebra Striping enable - only folder pane alas :::: */

#threadTree tr:nth-child(2n) {
background-image: linear-gradient(rgba(0,0,0,.08), rgba(0,0,0,.08)) !important;
}

#unifiedToolbar {
height: 28px !important;
padding-top: 0px !important;
padding-bottom: 0px !important;
margin: 0px !important;
}

this is it. the solution. it even solves the problem with the "i click onto a folder and looking at old mails, because the scrollbar is in the middle"

well it didnt fix this, but at least the menus are now usable again.

I'm having the exact problem:

Firefox 115

"The Message List Panel jumps when deleting a message" , it scrolls up, eventually going off screen, losing focus (I have the sort order oldest to newest going down). If you play around and move focus to certain line, then it goes back to cursor staying stationary. Also as mentioned the last item in list is scrolled off the bottom. If you hoover over correspondents and it's truncated, it no longer pops up to show name. Collums randomly don't remember what I have set them at.

greenbeard
Making moves

I also have to wonder why, in v115.0.1, Mozilla thought it would be a good idea to remove the ability to poll each mailbox individually instead of always polling the entire list of mailboxes when one clicks on "Get Messages"?  We are NOT amused...  

ajrjaneway
Making moves

I have the same problem. I would like for the cursor to be on my newest message, but it seems to plop itself in the middle of my list of messages.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

jomozwhy
Making moves

Yes! This is exactly my issue. I am wasting so much time scrolling down to the bottom of my messages to find the most recent ones, or the ones I last opened. Every.single.time I change folders. It's ridiculous.

Multics
Making moves

I just want TB to work the same way it used to.  It was correct before, not it is very wonky and appears to be alpha test software not a beta or release software.  I have 115.3.1 (32 bit).  The fonts are all wrong, the menus at the top are in the wrong order, the per mailbox menu seems to be stuck at the last message number looked at in another mailbox, not the last read mailbox.  Why do I have to spend days fixing each release?  I'm starting to look at other solutions.  Thunderbird used to be great but the last versions seemed to suck, each worse then the one before it.  I can only think you are trying to drive people away.

Knutowskie
Making moves

I am on Thunderbird 115.4.2 and got the very same issues described here. It just botheres me all the time. i got 7 mailboxes with TONS of folders and filtering rules. Worked great all the time. Now i need to send a bill for a new mouse wheel to mozilla LOL

nivlac
Making moves

Yeah  - on 115.4.1 (64-bit) Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

And when I hit the delete key the messages pane loses focus and I have to scroll up until I find it again.

totally meeses up the mail deleting workflow.....

trustable
Making moves

The issue is still present in the latest version 115.5.2.

Despite in the release notes it says:

"Fixed: Message list scroll position could move randomly when switching folders"

trustable
Making moves

I have solved it this way:
I have exported my profile (old Thunderbird version) and then imported in a new profile with the current Thunderbird version. Now the annoying list scrolling is gone.