I have just updated to ver. 102.13.0 and some of my email are completely mixed up. When viewing for example such an email thunderbird is showing info that is completely related to some other email. I checked on my webhost provider webmail and emails there are OK but when I view an email in thunderbird there is something completely different and related to other email. Thunderbird is pooling wrong info. Any suggestion
Exactly what is happening to me and my four sites using thunderbirt. This is more than a security risk - mit is also a major privacy risk especially since we are in health care - I got no response inspite of being a regular supporter. I have to more to something else this week end. It takes too long to get a resolution to simple issues.