cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoundRock

With the last update, message threads got introduced. 

I can turn them off per folder, but I would like to turn the option off in its entirety. No message threads.

There is no option for that right now. Could you please add one? More users are struggling with this. 

Kind regards!

58 Comments
Mailman

Threading turned my Thunderbird into a disaster.
Many e-mails seemed lost
To use "View - Sort by - Unthreaded" is nog a solution for the hundreds of folders.
Please give us a way to unthread all folders

KarlSteller

Suddenly I have THREADS in my emails. I DID NOT WANT THAT!!! Why do IT people think they know better what I want than I do myself. How do I get rid of threads for good?

Peter5

I did not want to either. Did you find a solution?     Some folders show the threads and some don't.

Peter5

Why some folders are threaded and some unthreaded?  I hate this function.

eric_01

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/message-threading-thunderbird

But very annoying. I'm busy enough without having to remove something I didn't want. Why not let users turn it ON if they wish?

jmvinter

I totally agree with the above ... why the heck make it by default 😕

Flapjack
Making moves

I have looked at the Addons available in regards to Threads but they do not address the fundamental issue of being able to manipulate Threading.
By this I mean you should be able to:
1. Select an email and make it a 'Root' Thread so that subsequent emails in response (be it sent as a reply or received as a response) will treat that email as the beginning of the Thread.
2. Select an email and move it to be threaded to any email with an earlier time stamp.  This could be an email already part of a Thread but it would be a 'branch' of that Thread. Screenshot attached.
3. Unthread an email from a Thread, so that it is a stand alone email, unthreaded and not a Root email, meaning subsequent responses will not be threaded to it.
4, Any other Thread manipulation you can think of, provided 'Threading' is selected as being operational.
Hopefully this would be a functionality in the upcoming release of 'Supernova'
I am going to put this post in the 'Ideas' area. 

shelfside

100% agree, a global threads on/off switch would be great please

EZ-Rider

Threading as a default if a nightmare.  And unthreading, even a single folder, doesn't work for me.  Somebody had a really bad idea.

JohnW1

I agree - threads are a source of considerable frustration. Two comments

- why is the option to view emails as threaded not in the View > Threads section?

- Why is there no option to remove the 'ignore thread' or 'watch thread' tags in the message context menu - I wasted so much time trying to do that, eventually finding I need to press 'W' (should have been obvious I suppose, but not to me). Once it's marked, there should really be a corresponding option to remove the mark.

Having recently been forced to start using Outlook, I remember why I chose Thunderbird - it's delightful for its simplicity and clean presentation. Please keep it that way, and don't be tempted towards an Outlookalike.