I have looked at the Addons available in regards to Threads but they do not address the fundamental issue of being able to manipulate Threading.
By this I mean you should be able to:
1. Select an email and make it a 'Root' Thread so that subsequent emails in response (be it sent as a reply or received as a response) will treat that email as the beginning of the Thread.
2. Select an email and move it to be threaded to any email with an earlier time stamp. This could be an email already part of a Thread but it would be a 'branch' of that Thread. Screenshot attached.
3. Unthread an email from a Thread, so that it is a stand alone email, unthreaded and not a Root email, meaning subsequent responses will not be threaded to it.
4, Any other Thread manipulation you can think of, provided 'Threading' is selected as being operational.
Hopefully this would be a functionality in the upcoming release of 'Supernova'
I am going to put this post in the 'Ideas' area.
I agree - threads are a source of considerable frustration. Two comments
- why is the option to view emails as threaded not in the View > Threads section?
- Why is there no option to remove the 'ignore thread' or 'watch thread' tags in the message context menu - I wasted so much time trying to do that, eventually finding I need to press 'W' (should have been obvious I suppose, but not to me). Once it's marked, there should really be a corresponding option to remove the mark.
Having recently been forced to start using Outlook, I remember why I chose Thunderbird - it's delightful for its simplicity and clean presentation. Please keep it that way, and don't be tempted towards an Outlookalike.
Threads are driving me mad too. I can't find emails I receive or send because they are not shown in any sensible order such as prefereably, chronical. Instead they are attached to messages I may have sent weeks ago in a Thread. At first I thought they maybe organised by Subject, but even if I change the subject or recipient when sending a message it still disappears into a Thread somewhere. I can't operate an email system that works this way. Some may like it, but Mozilla should have made it an optional feature and defintely should not have rolled it out without notice.
I have written to Mozilla several times about this but don't even get an acknowledgement.
If it's going to stay this way I'm afraid I will have to start looking for another email system. Any suggestions?
I thought I had turned it of but just as with MS Windows, it seems every time there is an update Mozilla thinks we have been stupid or naughty and it is turned back on again!
Developers: No you are and should not be the people in charge of the UI! Actually quite a few people choose Thunderbird because they themselves want to be in charge, and not be a slave to software from a big corporation, so stop behaving like you are one, please! It may be extremely difficult for you to comprehend that this statement:
Threading is a useful way of displaying your message list in Thunderbird
Is NOT TRUE, at least not for many people, just as MS's 'focused inbox' is an abomination to people who are perfectly capable of themselves determining what is useful to them and what not, so stop pushing your own agenda onto people who do not necessarily want it.
To disable email threads in your email client (e.g., Gmail, Outlook), you typically need to go to your email settings and turn off the conversation or thread view option. The specific steps may vary depending on the email service you're using, but it's usually a user-configurable setting. Disabling threads will display emails as separate messages rather than grouped in conversations. Remember, email providers offer thread view as an option to help organize and streamline email conversations, but you can usually turn it off if it's not your preference.
Thunderbird has forced Threads on us as the Default. What so many people are saying is that Threads is a terrible option. We WANT THAT GONE!! I should NOT have to figure out how to disable Threads. Thunderbird should NEVER have made it the default.
Great tip but I can't find that in Thunderbird settings so I have to unthread each folder individually and every time there's an upgrade I seem to need to start all over again.
In my opinion threads are only good for people who can't organize their emails. Apart from that these days EVERYBODY is forced into using emails and the internet regardless of their IT skill and what little skill I had has drastically declined since I retired and no longer have easy access to people who know more than me.
But IT wizkids don't care about their customers. The constant changing and upgrading merely keeps them in a job.