Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,091 REPLIES 3,091

GB2
Making moves

Listen. I genuinely appreciate you asking for feedback rather than simply cramming it down our throats like every tech company.

Please do not enable this feature except for anyone who opts into it. I don't want it, and I don't want to use it accidentally by clicking a mysterious new button.

Butterfly
Making moves

No. No way. Absolutely not. No AI, please and thank you. Not even as an opt in. Please keep it away. I only just found a browser I can work with without all the nonsense browsers like google bring with tracking, ads, au, etc. Please don't make me dig for another 

autumninfall
Making moves

No. I do not want any AI features on Firefox whatsoever. Do not do this. If this is implemented I'm finding a different service

unburnablebook
Making moves

Under NO circumstances should you implement ANY AI in Firefox. It is not helpful, it cannot learn nor can it fact check itself, therefore it is wrong or just plain nonsense more often than not. Please listen to the users on this and scrap any AI plans. We're all very tired and frustrated with the AI being forced onto us by Google and Windows, etc.

starrygemini
Making moves

One of the main reasons why I use FireFox is to avoid my data being used and stolen without my knowledge. Implementing AI software would go against the entire purpose of this switch and would be following the steps every other browser is doing, which is putting their consumer’s data protection last. I really wouldn’t wish for the same to happen with FireFox as I feel secured while using it. I do not wish to feel compromised while using a browser that is shilling my data like all the rest. I want FireFox to be above that.

comradecrow
Making moves

I would much rather this be an official extension, so I would not have to do the work of removing it myself, or switching browsers again.

even if it became an official extension, i would uninstall firefox.

actually the extension route would be funny because they would see the low install rates, realize it was a huge waste of time and take it down, head in their hands in abject defeat

thehonestpuck
Making moves

It is not possible to use LLMs ethically at the moment. Forget the various issues re: transparency, bias, intellectual property, etc. I am most concerned about our rapidly escalating climate crisis and the fact that the servers required to run these massive software applications consume more water and energy than some countries. Please remove this feature entirely and turn your work to a better cause.

Devilpants
Making moves

Hey, thanks to this, I went into about:config and looked up browser.ml and disabled everything related to this. Soon I'm going to switch to the no-AI branch Librewolf thanks to this. Generative AI is an unprofitable, unnecessary, and unethical addition to what was otherwise a perfectly functional browser. It's a solution with no problem to solve, it has never been profitable in any incarnation, and has become a PR nightmare for every company that has attempted to use it. I think everyone at Mozilla who fell for the AI grift should probably look for work in another industry entirely.

Tamama
Making moves

With due respect, hell no. Please no Ai bull**bleep** on Mozilla. Y'all gotta stop pushing this thing on your users. Trust us, we WILL go elsewhere if it's implemented.

Thanks for asking first though

solariumc
Making moves

Please get rid of it. AI has been pushed by sellouts insisting that it can still be vastly improved when in fact it's been stagnating heavily for the past year. Take this stuff out of Firefox before I go to Chrome out of convenience. To make this feedback more nuanced, I decided to try my first AI chatbot, despite the reputation and personal bias to see what it really added to my life:

Even if this is a quick get money tactic, I think you're losing more money from coding these chatbots into Firefox than gaining money from these AI companies. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it quick.

torch_mozillaai
Making moves

No.

Ethics
Making moves

I switched to Firefox to escape the encroachment of AI integration on every last aspect of my online experience. This kind of move is extremely impactful to my perception of the company and makes me consider alternatives.

Felds
Making moves

I am known on several collaborative projects not to answer anything that isn’t a request for admin/captain/bureaucrat-ship.

I also believe that a Request for Comments or Feedback ought to be answered in a well-researched manner. 

I really do not want AI to be introduced to Firefox. For the following reasons:

- AI datasets are scraped from copyrighted material (see: [1])

- AI consumes a lot of energy to function (see: [2] "A report stated that at peak of 700W and ~61% annual utilization, each GPU would draw 3.74 MWh; this means that Nvidia’s 3.76 million GPU shipments could consume as much 14,384 GWh (14.38 TWh). A separate report estimated that with 3.5 million H100 shipments through 2023 and 2024, that H100 alone could see total power consumption of 13.1 TWh annually.

The 14.4 TWh is equivalent to the annual power needs of more than 1.3 million households in the US. This also does not include AMD, Intel, or any of Big Tech’s custom silicon, nor does it take into account existing GPUs deployed or upcoming Blackwell shipments in 2024 and 2025. As such, the total energy consumption is likely to be far higher by the end of the year as Nvidia’s Blackwell generation comes online in larger quantities.")

For these reasons, and others more personal, I state the following:

No AI. Nowhere. Now.

Thank you.

Arkhamghos
Making moves

NO

WE COME TO FIREFOX BECAUSE ITS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS. IT DOESNT WANT ALL PUT DATA SERVED ON A PLATTER. IT CARES ABOUT OFFERING A GOOD EXPERIENCE RATHER THAN MONEY FROM ADVERTISERS.

IF YOU INTEGRATE THIS YOU WILL LOSE ALL THE MARKET DHARE YPUVE GAINED. NO INE LIKES AI, NO INE WANTS AI

rendawn
Making moves

Please don't integrate AI into Firefox. I started using Firefox despite being a lifetime user of a different browser to avoid the AI integration.

bloodyjimbonney
Making moves

We don't want or need an AI function everywhere we go. It slows things down and is a waste of energy.

Vann
Making moves

NO THANKS. 

I am sick to death of AI being forced on me, and making every single app or browser infinitely worse and less reliable.

I liked Mozilla products because of the lack of AI - that was why I switched from Google Chrome to Firefox in the first place.

I don't need it, don't want it and will NEVER use it. 

AI is planet-killing, resource-wasting, misiniformation-spewing GARBAGE.

Alligusher
Making moves

Please don’t Add AI, Ai is usually a major way to leak privacy, which is against Firefox.

Devilpants
Making moves

I already posted about how much I hate this but I just want to emphasize how disappointing it is to know that there are people at Mozilla who were gullible enough to fall for the AI grift. I really thought the Mozilla team were better than this, and most of all, I thought they were smarter than this. I guess all that stuff about privacy and quality is just out the window, huh?

You guys gonna add NFT integration next? Maybe a preinstalled cryptominer? Because those are the same ships that the AI conmen have already abandoned. It's the same people, jumping from trend to trend, looking for the infinite money glitch, and striking out every time. This time's the third, and it's not looking good for AI. It's astoundingly incompetent and cartoonishly tone-deaf for the Mozilla team to be trying to get into AI this late in the game.

This is making me embarrassed to even use Firefox, after all the recommendations I gave to switch after google's manifestV3 nonsense.

met_taton
Making moves

Absolutely do not implement this. Generative AI frequently presents incorrect or biased information, and even if it was useful, it's extremely wasteful and damaging to the environment. Firefox is one of the few main browsers that hasn't thrown in some AI nonsense and that's why I use it.

ArsonWizard
Making moves

not a fan of that 😞

everyone always says AI is ‘going to get better’ but I don’t think thats true? I mean, right now it has a dataset the size of the entire internet, (setting aside the ethical concerns of that) and it still just isn't that great? Even if they did manage to somehow weed out all the blatantly false stuff (resulting in a greatly decreased dataset size) it would still hallucinate information because it doesn’t actually understand the information and the nuances of it and is just saying things the user wants to hear. So where is it going to go from here? Its not like there’s a second internet that they can feed in there. Sure, people are always making posts and stuff, but hardly any of that is contributing to the knowledge of the internet, and when it IS, its just as likely to be false. maybe even more likely. So really, I don’t see AI improving.

plus, ai is just useless as a search engine because you can use a real search engine and use your eyes to look at it. it would be more useful to make a “in picture” mode for the default search engine or something.

not to mention the energy costs, CO2 production, and water usage associated with AI. what a waste.

MeaTLoTioN
Making moves

Make it an extension, so that I don't have to install it.

If it's going to be baked into the browser, at least let it be opt-in to use it (and really opt-in not just say opt-in but it will magically opt-in itself because I didn't do it for you).

AI doesn't belong in the browser, the browser belongs in the browser. If I want to use AI, let me go use AI in my own way, not in your way.

m'kay

Amayer
Making moves

Don't you heccing dare

ScaryWaves
Making moves

Hi, using AI is the exact wrong direction for y'all to be heading in, please cut ties with it. Say it was a momentary lapse of reason.

pandagiggle
Making moves

Hey. AI is costly, environmentally harmful, and is trained on legally dubious grounds. I personally believe the AI boom is a fad that will pass. I encourage you not to offer these services and remain a bastion of functional, user-requested features among browsers. Thank you.

mikko-tama
Making moves

Firefox. Firefox, listen to me. Do not do this, Firefox. Firefox, we are begging you. We are begging you, Firefox. We just want one **bleep**ing browser that isn't AI **bleep****bleep**, Firefox. PLEASE.

zpc
Making moves

Come on, you're better than this, aren't you?

aaawic
Making moves

Please either keep this optional and very much Hidden, or just Remove It Entirely. We already have data stealing privacy breaching AI programs on a bunch of browsing programs, we Don't Need More. Keep this crap out off Firefox, no-one asked or wants this.

noodlehasarrive
Making moves

Please god do not add AI to firefox

Miskertransreck
Making moves

I do not want ai to become an inherent part of using the internet. Not only for the fact people treat it as a legit source of information when it will straight up make **bleep** up and steals other people's work without their consent. But also because the amount of energy and resources needed for ai **bleep** is horrific for the environment. 

pinkflounder
Making moves

This would ruin my Firefox user experience and I would switch completely to using a new browser. Please do not.

LadyRiptide
Making moves

absolutely bloody NOT nononononono NO get that useless theiving misinformation machine out of here!!!

Bluesky
Making moves

What's next NFTs? That would be the step if Firefox is really committed to investing in the garbage water wasting tech that is "AI"(let's all be real it's not actually intelligent).

azurebolt
Making moves

For the love of high heaven, do NOT do this.

rexxie
Making moves

even putting aside privacy concerns, ai is notoriously unreliable and unstable. too, too often it spouts out provably false information. wasn't firefox just trying to campaign to save a system that actively fights misinformation spreading?

building it into a browser is a recipe for disaster. not to mention the gpu costs of just using ai would make the browser nigh on unusable for some people. and that is not even getting into the hacking risks - ai is even more susceptible to hacking than most software because a hacker doesn't even have to access the network it's running on. if you manage to even detect a breach - which also a huge risk.

nader
Making moves

Built-in AI tools are dead weight really. People can download them as extensions if they want. I strongly advise against this.

Banchou
Making moves

I'm very much against "AI services" as they feel like a bubble technology that is going to pop any day now. It's the new NFT, which have all vanished from public consciousness despite people swearing they'd become the new normal for things like ticket sales or art markets. The amount of resources that are used to run things like AI services for the middling actual services returned is frustrating. Nothing is helped by adding bloat like this that just eats energy costs.

A_Drake
Making moves

Please don’t. I understand that AI is The Big Thing right now, but even if it was legitimately useful, it still wouldn’t be worth the environmental impact.