Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,139 REPLIES 3,139

The implication that staying with an older piece of software is more secure is laughable. By staying on 129, you would be missing out on security patches introduced from 130 onward. That much should be obvious, and yet you tout this as being more "secure".

Realistically, there are two ways you could be doing this if you wanted to do it right:

1. Use a fork that has this feature removed
  2. Switch to an ESR release that comes from before 130

It's hypocritical to say that you want more security whilst deliberately running outdated software. Consider one of the above options and stop giving people advice that makes their systems worse.

Julia05
Making moves

Please don't add A.I. to the search engine. I specifically started using firefox to get away from the A.I. searches. If you start using A.I, I'm moving search engines again.

S_Akash
Making moves

I think it would be helpful to have a short description of each Chatbot, how they compare with each other, which of them Mozilla believes meets ethical standards (both for end user and everyone in general) and only include those by default which do.

Also a disclaimer about AI Chatbots in general would be helpful (or at least about the current generation). How they can help, some example use cases, what issues they have, what harms they might cause on a personal and societal level, and leave it to the user to then proceed to use the bot if they want.

I understand the need for Firefox to stay relevant (even if it has to do what other browsers shamelessly do even with large market shares), but providing additional information for the people who would read it is always a good thing in my personal opinion. 🙂

gively
Making moves

please add ai chat button on toolbar items.

barinov274
Making moves

Cool! I would like you to also add the ability to use local llms, for more privacy, such as the ability to select llamafile, or to refer to the ollama api. I would also like to have the ability to work with images on the page, using the "screenshot" function in the browser, or selecting from a file.

And in general, more AI - better. You could make the ability to recognize text on the picture, speech recognition, auto translation, creation of subtitles, etc. The main thing is to be able to run it all locally on your pc, and that the models are not loaded into the memory, until the user does not wish.

mobilex1122
Making moves

Good and bad idea. I would like it if there was option for Ollama selfhosted ai. (Or any other selfhosted options)

mawn
Making moves

can we edit the prompts after selecting the text? like instead of summay" => "translate"

QQueso
Making moves

strongly, strongly, STRONGLY against AI and chatbot inclusion to Firefox. They're inaccurate, their energy requirements are bad for the environment, and frankly they're just useless outside of a research setting.

fournm
Making moves

Incredibly strong disapprove, to the point of setting up a Connect account.

shatteredsword
Making moves

honestly mozilla is lucky that firefox doesn't really have any competition when it comes to privacy-based browsers. This would have been the end of it otherwise, and I'm not sure that they realize it.

Thanks. But don't waste time for these comment like this

Thanks. But don't waste time for these comment like this.

Noaiplease
Making moves

I do not want generative AI included in Firefox in any way. Not only do I find generative AI to be morally questionable at best, it is a feature that is often incorrect and actively worsens the user experience. If it is added in full I will be considering switching search engines.

askabaz
Making moves

Can you also provide DuckDuckGo AI Chat (https://duck.ai/ or https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Duck+Assist&ia=chat)? I tried to implement it by modifying the string "browser.ml.chat.provider" but it doesn't work.

Edit: I tried to set "browser.ml.chat.provider" to "https://duckduckgo.com/?q=&ia=chat&bang=true": It works but it is very easy to get the error "Search query entered was too long. Please shorten and try again.".

DDG AI Chat weirdly doesn't work if the search query ("q=" part in the URL) is empty. On a quick test, it seems to work for me setting it to https://duck.ai or https://duckduckgo.com/aichat.
The layout is slightly broken (weird horizontal scrollbar) but that seems to be DDG's fault, not Firefox.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. If I ask it to summarize info for example, I get that error message too. I don't know if there's a way to make it work by editing the config strings... 🤔

1AndDone
Making moves

My only feedback about AI is that I want it kept off my computer. I think that it is important to verify the exact sources and dates of information that I find in my searches. AI does not do that, so it is useless to me. If Mozilla fully rolls out AI in the future, I hope that it continues the option in Firefox settings to let users keep it turned off.

geekley
Making moves

Please add DuckDuckGo AI Chat as well (https://duck.ai/ or https://duckduckgo.com/aichat/).
It's an option that claims to respect privacy. It also has multiple providers to choose from, currently GPT4o mini, Claude, Llama, Mixtral (these last 2 seem to be open source).

geekley
Making moves
  1. Please let us set a custom provider in a way that we can switch options without losing the URL. Currently, if I select another option, the custom URL I set is lost. Even better, let us add multiple custom providers in the UI, assigning both name and URL for each entry, so it shows that name instead of "Custom provider (URL)".
  2. Why can't I right click stuff in the sidebar, like e.g. selected text to copy it, search, etc?
  3. You could have a "pop-out" button in the sidebar that moves it to a regular tab (without reloading the page) in case someone wants to continue the chat with more space.
  4. In addition to the sidebar close button, you could have a hide button that closes it without unloading the page. So you can continue with the chat history where you left it upon showing the panel again.
  5. It would be nice to have a setting to hide the switch provider dropdown. Or you could collapse it into an image button in the area above it, next to the close button, to avoid wasting vertical space.

Aewin
Making moves

Mozilla has talked a big game about 'ethical AI' but the AIs listed include the biggest offenders in terms of negative environmental impact and content theft, so this move makes me question their dedication to ethical AI (as well as their ethical stances in general).

I'd like to ask Firefox to either remove the AI features entirely or provide an alternative download with them completely missing from the browser code. I have myriad ethical and legal concerns about AI and the writing that I share online, and I will need to postpone the update and find another browser to switch to if I can't be assured that nothing is scraping my text. I can only be assured of that if no AI features are integrated into the browser at all.

pascalin
Making moves

I tried it with ChatGPT, but I find the interface a bit obtrusive. I don't want that everytime I highlight some text Firefox displays an annoying icon next to my highlight. I think that behavior should be restricted to when I have the Chatbot sidebar activated.

Doug7070
Making moves

I am opposed in the strongest possible terms to any sort of contemporary generative AI products or features being integrated into Firefox by default. This includes LLMs, diffusion models, or any derivatives based on the same methods or provided in whole or in part by any companies in the current market space for such products.

The ethical ramifications of the current glut of AI products are dire and reach fundamentally to the core of the technology as currently implemented, and I am extremely disappointed that Mozilla would even consider choosing to integrate any form of these products by default. I have ceased the use of multiple pieces of software entirely due to the pointless integration of AI chatbots and other similar "features", and I would very much prefer that Firefox not join that list by chasing the current market trend of dubiously useful AI bloat and its innumerable ethical transgressions at every stage of development and deployment.

To be absolutely clear: I do not care if an LLM is provided by a company or group that claims to respect privacy or an open-source ethos, I do not care if the LLM runs entirely locally and transmits no data to any external server, I do not care what excuses are made by the people peddling these products about their ethical "guardrails", this entire field of software is as it stands currently a poisoned well, and I will not condone or tolerate its use in the software I use on my systems or recommend to others.

If Mozilla does insist on making these integrations available, they should be as optional addons to be installed by users seeking that functionality, not packaged with Firefox by default.

atiredinsect
Making moves

pls stop ai is a scam that does nothing but steal pls let it fail instead of making it worse : (

hadley
Making moves

Yay, more AI slop.

about:config, set browser.ml.chat.enabled to false for anyone else who doesn't want the "plagiaraism as a service" engine embedded into their browser.

McBoat
Making moves

It's great - on desktop I wish it would immediately set focus to the chatbot prompt whenever I open the sidebar. Keyboard shortcuts are also appreciated.

madcaker
Making moves

Kindly keep this garbage out of my browser please. I think you're forgetting who your primary user-base is. Hint: it's not the AI techbros

There is a reason it is opt-in, I swear to goodness... how hard is it to understand!

Opt-in would be if this were an extension. I do not opt-in to having an AI "feature" being added to my browser.

umno
Making moves

I literally made a connect account after I got Update 130. I simply do not want any generative AI in my supposedly "privacy-focused" browser at all, actually. Not even if it is just a built-in way to access chatbots. You keep saying "your data won't be saved by Mozilla" but what about all the data the LLMs have scraped? Doesn't that count?

dotnsau
Making moves

Adding AI chatbots to browsers is a great idea, but you should do it the way Brave browser did. It's probably the only browser that did it sensibly, by displaying an option like "Ask Leo" while typing in the search bar. Similarly, here there should be an option to choose a default chatbot in the settings, and then when typing in the search bar, we should see options like "Ask ChatGPT", "Ask Google Gemini", etc., depending on the chatbot we chose as the default. Of course, I believe that eventually, such an option should be built-in by default, and then we can disable it in the settings, not the other way around

Mozilla has made it very clear that they are going to stick to opt-in for the foreseeable future, and I respect that decision. AI should always be optional.

shelley
Making moves

So I guess it will just put the chatbots page side by side in the page that I am currently in? lol

I can probably tweak the source code and change it to any website and it will do the job. 😂

shelley sells seashells by the seashore

The best part of this feature is the highlight menu, because of the auto-prompts and such.
And yes, you can do that, but you could also just make an extension to use it, which is publicly available, much easier to write, and much easier to distribute. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/user_interface/Sidebars

ricspce
Making moves

I really like the recent implementation of the chatbot. I would recommend creating a direct shortcut to AI resources in the toolbar, so that when you hover the mouse it shows options similar to what appears when you select text, but here the whole page would be taken into account.
It would be nice to introduce the organization of several open tabs with one click, as well as adding the shortcut to perplexity as a search engine.

ggdupont
Making moves

any chance to add perplexity.ai in the list of LLMs?
any opportunity to add local model like a Llama3.1 with gpt4all?

nokko
Making moves

Firefox Team, please remove any features that encourage the pillaging of the Web from your product, including this “AI Services Experiment.”

Before 2020, people who published creative work on the Web did so knowing that it was publicly accessible — that’s the point of the Web — and that it would be impractical, if not impossible, to track down people ripping off their work to make T-Shirts on Redbubble, print-on-demand Amazon books, and highly-upvoted Reddit reposts. The risk of getting taken for a ride by an anonymous and unprincipled scraper was small and most people wouldn’t bother trying to rip small creators’ stuff.

Then came the GPT-3 project and a raft of other LLMs. GPT-3 itself was trained on Common Crawl, WebText2, and Wikipedia, data from the open web. Billions of words’ worth of scraped text was put into the model while none of the original authors had given OpenAI express permission to train their stochastic parrot on their work. They couldn’t have given permission, as there was no widespread awareness of the technology.

99% of the LLM projects come about just like GPT-3. They rely on ingesting enormous quantities of data from the open web to train their models, give nothing back to the original authors, and occasionally make a tidy profit from the venture.

From the Mozilla Manifesto:

2. The internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible.
5. Individuals must have the ability to shape the internet and their own experiences on the internet.
10. Magnifying the public benefit aspects of the internet is an important goal, worthy of time, attention and commitment.

We agree that the Internet is a global public resource that benefits humanity. LLMs trained on scraped data are an abuse of that resource without the consent of its users. In the feature as-shipped, you include the option to use one of ChatGPT, Anthropic Claude, Google Gemini, HuggingChat, or Le Chat Mistral LLMs. All of these models use publicly-available data. Now, many organizations dodge questions about how they source their data, because none of them ask for permission from the authors of the work they scrape.

The law is not settled on whether this is legal, but it’s obviously immoral. These models do not serve the public benefit and serve to undermine individuals’ ability to shape the Internet. By including this feature, you are encouraging the pillaging of the Open Web.

I am a longtime Firefox user and made this account to comment on this issue, that’s how much this means to me. I hope you see the raft of negative feedback on this matter and change your direction accordingly.

dedreamer
Making moves

Nobody wants this. Firefox uses too many resources on my computer as is, the last thing I want is AI wasting more of them. The whole reason I use Firefox instead of Chrome is because AI sucks.

That is why it is optional, my friend.

(Opt-in, to be specific, a much better policy than opt-out or forced.)

It's not optional or opt-in or whatever, that would mean it's like an extension you can add, not an already-in-just-choose-from-menu thing. Even then it would be unethical as it would be Mozilla saying "hey, if you wanna steal from others and waste resources there's a handy littel AI addon we have!"

What we're being proposed rn is the exact same tbh, just worse 'cuz it's not a true opt-in.

**bleep** dude you are really hell bent on your bootlicking, huh?