Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

nothingxs
Making moves

hi!

please stop this. as soon as possible. the sooner the better. no one wants this.

no one wants this.

Slowcar
Making moves

I don't want "Ai" in my browser

JoakimH
Making moves

Please make this an optional extension. Let your users show you how much they value the feature by opting in to it manually.

For myself I'd like to see some leadership in privacy from Mozilla. This is the opposite as it endorses the continuous collection of data from web users even if Mozilla isn't directly doing it.

Mozilla will NOT lead in privacy. Thank God there are responsible adults over on the librewolf team

Falme
Making moves

Adding AI to the Mozilla project will cause most users of Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird, and others) to abandon the products at an alarming rate. No one wants AI integrated into Mozilla's offerings because it is not their intended purpose. If someone wishes to use AI, they should do so outside of Mozilla; I personally do not want this, and nobody else wants it either. It is simply unnecessary processing garbage.

firefly
Making moves

PLEASE NO. No integrations. They are external services that are NOT needed to build a web browser, like Pocket. Also, if some kind of elevated permissions are to be expected for these sidebar chatbots, an additional NO from me.

WhatzitTuuyah
Making moves

no, no absolutely not, no, turn the HELL around. There is nothing meaningful to be gained by implementing generative AI or LLM technology into Firefox. We do not want it, remove the feature and make it an extension if you really, really, REALLY want users to be adding it. We know what this is, and we don't want it. No amount of """explaining""" what this feature is or does is going to make anyone change their minds. The hype train came and went, we've all seen exactly how this technology works, and we know what its disadvantages are. Get this out of Firefox and bleach the code it touched. Maybe spit in the eye of whoever paid you to push this nightmare technology on us as if we're easy marks.

Genuinely insulting that this was even considered. The fact that this has been implemented in ANY version of Firefox at ALL is a huge blow to the trust the userbase holds in your product. I think the backlash here is obvious and speaks for itself. This is massively disappointing. You should very much know better.

RinMari
Making moves

Implementing AI features is a terrible mistake. I have used Firefox for 20 years, and it may well stop at that if these invasive AI features are not walked back on completely. 

oofmoment420
Making moves

A large majority of people do not want AI integration or features, myself included. Please do not add this.

prat_eek
Making moves

**NOPE** **DOWNVOTE**

cgranade
Making moves

I'll say here what I said on the Bugzilla feature request to have a version of Firefox without this malware pre-installed. Namely, as a user of Firefox I expect the browser to behave more or less in my best interests, at most times, and in most ways.

By including a feature that directly works against my interests as a writer (due to the massive devaluation of creative labor under AI auspices), as someone who is harmed by climate change (due to the runaway energy costs of LLM evaluation), as someone who has a vested stake in truth (LLM-based AIs cannot, even in principle, evaluate truth claims and indeed promulgate disinformation at an alarming scale), and as someone harmed by tech centralization (due to the guarding of LLMs behind corporate paywalls), Firefox has now rather flagrantly countered that expectation.

While I do not necessarily believe that Firefox will or even should change that situation, it does mean that in the least, Firefox is not a safe browser in its present form, such that I can no longer recommend it to my peers on that basis.

Since I posted my original comment, several posts by Mozilla employees have indicated that a local-only and ethically trained LLM may be useful instead, for instance by summarizing page content. This runs directly counter to how LLMs work, to the science that helps us understand what LLMs are and can do, and also to the whole human interest behind the work to put things out into the world for people to read. Firefox currently ships Reader Mode, which is an amazing tool to help users read and enjoy the writing out there on the web in an inclusive and accessible way; it's a shame that Firefox seems to now be mostly interested in the opposite.

Marshyedblob
Making moves

Absolutely not

zleap
Making moves

I agree with the comments above in  that I don't want Ai integration,   not sure why it is being shoved down our throats,   I wil be looking at alternative browsers.

for what it's worth, there's a librewolf (firefox fork) discussion going on at the moment where they appear to have agreed to strip out the AI sidebar and related settings. So that's a fairly low friction switch.

Cantos
Making moves

the thing is, it will not bring more users and will alienate the ones you already have, people choose firefox because it's not tied to the will of those kinds of big corporations.

cool that some of the models are open source, that doesn't mean much about them being ethical

tante
Making moves

Make it a plugin if you need to jump on the hype.

Just because Arc Browser and Edge include those things - largely in ways that harm the open web - Firefox should not add this. It's against the mission of protecting the free and open web, against people getting credible information from the web and incentivises the usage of massively wasteful technologies.

Something like this should never be a core feature.

Faskil
Making moves

NO.

parlei
Making moves

No!

Please, "AI" is just automated bull**bleep** and plagiarism, with a side order of privacy issues. 

No,. please no.

Same_as_yester
Making moves

No

opfragile
Making moves

rancid. can't believe you people are actually thinking of adding this garbage.

janro
Making moves

It would be great if Firefox could focus on other features instead.

Sam999
Making moves

Stop it with this AI nonsense. No customer wants this. The only ones wanting this are the tech bros pushing AI for everything so they can bill you. Stop it!

And yes, I am disabling updates for Firefox now so I don't get hit with this crap.

Novaa
Making moves

No. 
Nobody wants generative ai. 

zeborah
Making moves

No. No, for the love of everything you hold dear, no.

There are two things I want in life:

1. A web browser I can trust.
  2. For a single company to say "You know what? We don't actually need to jump on this BS LLM bandwagon, our product works perfectly well without it."

Wouldn't it be fantastic if those two things could coincide?

LLMs are built by breaching copyright, breaching privacy, and destroying the environment. They're also inherently unreliable, with no hope of ever improving because the method used to create them was never designed to generate truth, only to generate verbiage that sounds pretty truthy. (I briefly thought RAG might help but turns out nah, not really.) They're great at amplifying prejudice and bigotry though so y'know, that's an achievement I guess?

However, since I've never yet met a company who said "Hey we've developed a cool AI thing and we want your feedback" who ever actually listened when the feedback was "No, please just no", how about this:

Going forward, maintain two versions of Firefox. One with all the stupid bells and whistles for people who enjoy bandwagons; and a separate one that just... lets people browse the web like our forebears intended.

two
Making moves

bad. bad firefox, your better than this. no ai

skibidi
Making moves

THE ENTIRE REASON I'M USING FIREFOX IS BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY AI

GET AI OUT OF HERE !!!

Aiala
Making moves

**bleep**ing no.

Purge that away of the browser or I'll quit to never look back.

noogaibb
Making moves

Hard no, also whoever thought adding chatbot to anything is a good idea should be launched to the moon and beyond.
Seriously, did your entire company having rock and glue pizza for meals every day?

opfragile
Making moves

you usually see this kind of thing after being sponsored by an AI software developer, so who's sponsoring y'all? Or are you just ruining your reputation for free?

NineByNine
Making moves

Not least of all because this "AI" rubbish (which is all just markov chain bots with a new lick of paint and more marketing spent on it, rather than anything actually APPROACHING Artificial Intelligence) is a scam and useless, I would also appreciate it NOT being in any products I use, ESPECIALLY not the only browser not just Chrome wearing a mask yet again, because a) it is humongously wasteful to the environment given the amount of heat it generates and energy it uses, b) it is humongously wasteful from a FINANCIAL perspective (which is something corporations might actually understand and take note of, since they clearly don't give a flying foxtrotuniformcharliekilo what their customers actually want or need) and c) it is invariably wrong because it has no concept or knowledge or EVEN IDEA of context, truth, or even validity, because again, it's not actually intelligent in any way shape or form. It's just automated madlibs.

Please, Firefox. Please don't fall victim to this nonsense. The world does not need the ONLY MODERN BROWSER that's actually any different to all the others (which by the way, again, are all just Google Chrome in a different mask. Yes even THAT browser you're about to mention. AND that one. AND THAT ONE.) going bankrupt and getting bought out by Google or anybody else and switching to Chrome as well because it wasted so much money on this absolute twaddle.

jonas37
Making moves

I don't want any AI in my browser. I specifically use Firefox because it is not bound to any major tech giant, destroying the world.

rluetzner
Making moves

I'd rather not have it at all.

I can imagine that you're very disappointed with how this feature is being received after you put development effort into it.

As things stand, I've not heard a single positive voice on the new feature. It's very likely that that's due to me living in a certain bubble, but overall I see a huge pushback on anything related to AI from regular people. The only people pushing AI seem to be big corp leaders and startups that are out for insane world destroying VC money.

I'd prefer Mozilla to take a strong stance **against** AI, similar to [Procreate](https://procreate.com/ai).

Skandalfo
Making moves

Please don't spend effort in this kind of support in the core browser.

I could wonder why Firefox instead doesn't provide a functionality to create, edit and share spreadsheets natively inside the browser, or a built in database of cooking recipes...

Right, you see the pattern. These chat bots already can be supported by accessing web pages or via extensions.

Please don't spend effort in this kind of support in the core browser.

yayroos
Making moves

Literally switched to librewolf as soon as i heard about this. Drop the AI nonsense and build real features for privacy conscious people trying to escape the google-opoly. 

How did mozilla lose their way this badly? 😞

deeryeen
Making moves

Hey ! Please do not. 🙂

E_L_
Making moves

I really really really dont want this. Please do not contribute to the en**bleep**tification of the internet. Be the browser who does better!

hamakei
Making moves

Hell, no. Nobody asked for this. We don't want it. If people really want such BS let them have it via an Add-on. Don't integrate it into the main browser.

kocie
Making moves

generative ai is theft, full stop. i cannot support it, and in addition to all generative ai being blatant plagiarism, llms often spit out dangerous and incorrect information and they do it in such a way that they appear trustworthy if you aren't being highly critical, making them even more dangerous and reprehensible in my opinion. furthermore generative ai is destroying the environment at an alarming rate heretofore not seen by mankind. it MUST be stopped. 

Wimpyimp
Making moves

How many people have you gotten actively telling you to stop. Spelling it out for you. So many attempts to politely explain have been patronisingly dismissed or completely ignored

Have you forgotten who your userbase are? You seem to think we're all stupid but even the ones without a technology background are here because they care about privacy. You're actively implementing a known privacy risk. And expect people to not have strong reactions to it?

Frankly, **bleep** every single person at Mozilla who thought this was a good idea and that they could get away with it. This company can crash and burn with all the others investing in this **bleep** for all i care. if you continue down this path i will find a different browser that actually respects privacy.

Shame on you.