Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,149 REPLIES 3,149

TMTMTMTM
Making moves

I have just heard of this idea.

No, thank you. There are too many questions about usefulness, safety, and copyright infringement

Wrappedinshadow
Making moves

Please do not do this. I will not continue to use Firefox if you do this. 

geoma
Making moves

NO thanks

we don´t need AI

we just need a good browser that doesn't add " allow websites to perform privacy-preserving ad measurement"by default without even letting us know....

after 20 years of loyalty (or even more considering I was always a Netscape fan)

You broke it... 😞

uncivil
Making moves

LLMs are unethical in every way (stealing work from writers, journalists, artists; requires lots of data resources contributing to climate change) and don't even do anything useful.

No AI. No LLMs.

nop
Making moves

Oh hell no! Please let the world have just this one major web browser untainted by fake AI garbage.

voltagex
Making moves

This seems like it goes counter to what Mozilla should stand for and I personally do not want anything to do with this. I would also support a fork that removes these features and commits to never adding them.

BLynch
Making moves

No. Knock it off.

p_0
Making moves

More about:mozilla, less AI please.

RL_Mozilla
Making moves

I'm not alone in wondering why Firefox is involved with AI. Integration with AI is not a feature the users expected. It seems unlikely it is a feature the users asked for. It took effort. What we want in a browser is support for web standards, privacy by default, and optional extensibility. We want boring. We want few surprises.

LesleyK
Making moves

Generative AI is environmentally disastrous, ethically indefensible (it relies on stolen materials for training), and worse-than-useless, due to the high number of hallucinations and incoherent results.

I chose to default to Firefox because of all the stupid unethical bloatware built into Chrome and Edge.  Why on Earth to you want to follow them off that cliff?

wwahammy
Making moves

What is wrong with this company? No, no, no,no. Remove it, blow it up and can the executives that think this is a good idea.

etr
Making moves

No AI. It isn't anywhere close to ethical in its training, and isn't a function that will be helpful.

Friendofferret
Making moves

Please don't add AI to Firefox. 

fdelapena
Making moves

TL;DR: Promote non-web centric stuff as extensions instead of polluting preferences

Just use local stuff for things that are helpful and making a great browser private and open: noise cancelling, better speech and video compression, webcam background blurring, text translations, text to speech, missing alt-text generation, speech to text, OCR and the previous combined with translations, including realtime media and RTC bidirectional subtitles and speech dubbing.

However, LLMs as mentioned are wasteful, questionable regarding rights and too broad. Regarding Llamafile, whichever model includes (hopefully something that makes sense) is still slightly tolerable for local-only use but without giving feature focus to make it useful for a browser. Consider suggesting an extension instead for LLM stuff, even for Llamafile, as far as I know there is no web standards that require to cover something with a general purpose LLM chatbot that is worth beyond a marketing trend.

pyrholidon
Making moves

Honestly I'd rather dump mozilla for a browser that doesn't use AI.

Felix7
Making moves

I don't think it's a feature worth having development time allocated to it.

JustinJMajor
Making moves

No and hell no.

No.

penguinishka
Making moves

NO THANK YOU, PLEASE.

rhylinz
Making moves

Whatever happened to "the most privacy-oriented browser"? You are sinking your reputation by adding garbage to be more accessible. Nobody in their right mind wants this.

Isabelleofnorca
Making moves

Generative AIs (large language models) are notoriously buggy and generally not fit for purpose. There's no real reason to add it to a web browser. I understand you want to be on the cutting edge and not be left behind, but consider this: many of the answers Generative AI gives are incorrect. To the extent in can create fiction or pictures on purpose, it largely plagiarize for other people.

There's no point in hitching your wagon to this horse. Sure, I get it. It's a nightly build. Users like myself can turn it off. But here's the thing: there's no need to dedicate resources to it right now. None. The technology just isn't there yet. OpenAI is mostly lying about their product's capabilities and downplaying the harm it's doing. You can always come back to it if (not when, because it's uncertain these technologies will get there) it generative AI starts giving out correct answers, uses less power, and stops plagiarizing.

Hyacin
Making moves

No.

theSoftestPaw
Making moves

I don't need this. I don't want this. The only potential so-called AI had demonstrated is its enormous capacity to harm people, whether by inventing "facts" about poisonous mushrooms it claims are safe to eat, or by optimizing existing biases that further marginalize whole demographics. And by this point in the game you should know that nobody wants this trash, it's a liability, and it offers nothing but enormous harm to the planet we're all stuck together on. I've used Firefox for 20 years and I'd like it to stay the good browser, but if you implement this crap I'm gone.

patfrench2
Making moves

NO

AlloyedClavicle
Making moves

No. Bad Mozilla. Do not do this.

ULTROS_PRO
Making moves

please stop putting ai nonsense and "ad preferences" in firefox, i hate it sooooo much you have no idea, ai is ruining the internet, don't be a part of it you schmucks!!

circlesquared
Making moves

If there are AI shenanigans afoot, I will move to a different browser.

JudesNoAI
Making moves

Oh, God, please NO. Don't do this, PLEASE.

aintnoway
Making moves

Abso-LUTELY not. This is not okay in the slightest. I see the Mozilla twitter account shilling for AI already so it's obvious the direction that things are going, but I can definitely say that people do not have brand loyalty over a WEB BROWSER. You are absolutely going to shred what little bit of good will you've managed to scrounge back up if you go through with this.

Silbermm
Making moves

Don’t add AI

LyssaLittleBear
Making moves

I use Firefox to keep away from this nonsense. Don't try to be Chrome. Be better.

No AI.

rzgrrr
Making moves

Hello! I have been using Firefox since I was 9 years old. I am 26 now. I have never felt the need to comment on Mozilla's forums, not because I am insufficiently tech-savvy, but because Mozilla has always worked pretty seamlessly for me. I feel that this is generally a misconception that tech workers have- that people who do not engage with their forums regularly or provide their feedback regularly are just not intelligent enough to comment on their latest advancements. This is not the case, and actually pretty antithetical to good U/X. I have never felt the need to come on here in the decade plus that I have used Mozilla Firefox BECAUSE things have been good. I have never disagreed with my Firefox user experience. I think that Rocket is kind of an embarrassment, but it's easy to turn off. It has about the same amount of environmental impact as just running a browser does.

AI features are intrusive and obtrusive, by design. This is not something that handwringing design compromises can resolve, which I'm sure are some of the solutions you are about to trot out to something that you have already made your mind up on doing. Here are some examples of how AI has affected my browsing experience.

I currently have to use an incredibly long link on every single Google search just to prevent Google's AI from generating enormous pollutants in order to try to (erroneously) solve my inquiries. I have to carefully watch where I click on the Amazon app so that "Rufus" does not start spewing garbage questions at me while I am trying to shop. Each time I visit a mobile website in everything from banking to pharmacies, I have to make sure not to accidentally touch the speech bubble that will summon the "machine assistant". The speech bubble follows my scrolls, of course, because it wants me to interact with it. It doesn't "want" to solve my problem. The person who designed it wants to desperately justify its existence, and the existence of his job, via the metrics of me even accidentally interacting with the drivel that they have created. I do not understand how tech workers can hear the people around them desperately screaming in their recorded customer service call logs, "PLEASE LET ME TALK TO A HUMAN BEING!!!!", and think, "we need more machines", but I guess that this callous lack of interest in user consent is endemic to Silicon Valley and all of its pale imitators.

I do not want AI features on Mozilla Firefox. I use Mozilla Firefox because it is the browser with the least extraneous, actively user-unfriendly pustules grafted onto it by a group of people whose legacies will be the destruction of all human achievement in the hopes of "surpassing" the need for human input.

I know you will disappoint me. I know you will install these features, and I will keep fleeing them, until there is nowhere else to run. If you are reading this, you do not need something "to hide" to want AI to not be able to find it. Privacy used to be your right. It was eroded away artificially, but by human decisions. All we can do is keep saying no. Not that anyone in tech cares.

shnoorg
Making moves

I will switch to the new servo thing cDc is doing. 

winterwarburton
Making moves

Absolutely not. Of the myriad reasons why so many of us choose Firefox over Chrome, Edge, et al, being free of the current Google and Microsoft AI tomfoolery is a big one. I think it's pretty clear how public opinion is turning on genAI, especially now that it's being shoehorned into everything imaginable. This is not what we want.

delProfundo
Making moves

Feedback is simple. Machine learning pretending to be ai is probably the worst technical advancement of the last decade, and given the decade that says a lot. 

anyone all in on this mess is not taking their role seriously. 

I’ve used Firefox blue for years but the moment you default to installing and enabling AI is the moment you become my permanent enemy.  

the world will remember who blindly foisted half baked ai products on society. And there isn’t one yet that is even 5% baked. 

for shame. 

gsuberland
Making moves

Let me put this in as uncertain terms as I can: if you put LLMs in Firefox, I will find another browser. It's an ethical nightmare that produces noxious information-shaped sludge while burning a hole in the planet, and I want no part in it.

You need to get your priorities sorted. Stop chasing fads - especially fads that consume absurd amounts of energy. Focus on reducing Firefox's energy consumption, not increasing it. Focus on core browser performance and stability.

Good luck with finding an alternative. I can't think of any heavy hitters in the market that aren't already stuffed with it (Edge, Opera) or run by companies eager to stuff it in as soon as they can (Chrome).

We don't care. There's already forks of Firefox that have declared their intention to remove this **bleep**.

We, OVERWHELMINGLY, DON'T WANT THIS **bleep**.

Qantumentangled
Making moves

I use Firefox because I want to view web pages in an environment that I have control over. I like to know that Google isn't watching and selling every website I visit. Having my browser reach out to a cloud AI service without my explicit request is a breach of the trust I've put in Mozilla and the Firefox team regarding my privacy. I don't trust these cloud AI providers and I have no desire for the garbage output they provide anyway.

This sounds like a fabulous idea to put into an extension. Not only would it be entirely OPTIONAL and easily removed, it can also provide a great template for other extensions developers how to properly and safely implement AI connections.

Rallo
Making moves

Begging the Mozilla team to not ruin the last good web browser with this gimmicky garbage.

I do not want an overly engineered keyboard next word predictor in my web browser. I do not want a tool created using a language model trained on the works and posts of other people without permission, by scraping the entire internet and asking nobody's permission to do so. I do not want a tool that is accelerating climate change just to excite investors with a buzzword, like blockchain before it. I do not want a tool that does NOT belong in a web browser in the first place! What possessed you to even think this was a good idea?

I will never use it and I will almost certainly lose faith in Mozilla and abandon firefox after 7 years of using it since the release of Quantum if this happens. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me as a user and every firefox user I know.

5ynic
Making moves

No thanks.