cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

search button doesn't work on Lee Valley site

lo0p-ur
Making moves

Hi everybody,

On the Lee Valley website, when I click on the search icon, the page hiccups, then settles back. Nothing happens. No letterbox panel to type in.

This didn't happen before, but there's been an update since.

I've checked edge and the search button works.

Is there an update or tweak to solve this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lo0p-ur
Making moves

Ta da. That works. Thanks for digging. I'm truly pleased. I'm reconsidering which other browsers and vendors I visit on-line when better options are available, such as telephone and in person. Interesting what is tracked. No doubt there's more than I realize and software developers will figure other ways past my reluctance. It's interesting that Firefox has identified it and excluded it. That raises my trust. LV has done the right thing in previous exchanges and may reconsider if others know. My data is likely sent to other companies. May I pass this along to LV ?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jscher2000
Leader

Does a # get added to the URL in the address bar? That often happens if a script is blocked in the page (by an add-on).

lo0p-ur
Making moves

No # in URL address bar. I added one to try out. It makes no difference. I looked at add-ons and tested other keys in combination. No changes yet.

lo0p-ur
Making moves

Thanks for the help.

Eleanorreo
Making moves

It sounds like a potential bug from the recent update. Try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser. If the issue persists, contact Lee Valley's customer support for assistance. They may need to address the problem on their end.

lo0p-ur
Making moves

Thanks. I did contact LV without mentioning which browser I used. They identified it as a Firefox.And yes, I wonder why bother when I can use edge. Cleaning cache didn't change the peek-a-boo search button, but improved response.

jscher2000
Leader

Well, so, I finally visited https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/kitchen in Edge -- I think that's the right site -- and used right-click > Inspect on the search box. It is generated by a script from Coveo.

Firefox's Tracking Protection feature blocks scripts from Coveo, presumably because it is a known cross-site tracker. I guess in order to use search on the site you need to make an exception and tolerate a little bit of tracking. (If you are making purchases on this site, they already know you well, so probably a reasonable trade-off.) To do that, click the shield icon at the left end of the address bar next to the lock icon, then click the slider switch on the drop-down panel to turn off tracking protection. The page should reload and the search box should appear in the header automatically.

lo0p-ur
Making moves

Ta da. That works. Thanks for digging. I'm truly pleased. I'm reconsidering which other browsers and vendors I visit on-line when better options are available, such as telephone and in person. Interesting what is tracked. No doubt there's more than I realize and software developers will figure other ways past my reluctance. It's interesting that Firefox has identified it and excluded it. That raises my trust. LV has done the right thing in previous exchanges and may reconsider if others know. My data is likely sent to other companies. May I pass this along to LV ?

jscher2000
Leader

You certainly are free to explain the problem to LV and let them consider how to address it with customers.