cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Firefox Color" can be so frustrating and difficult.

Sunnyside
Making moves

Was "Firefox Color" developed by Mozilla/Firefox?... or was it developed by an independent person or team? (https://color.firefox.com)  In my opinion, the user interface needs so many improvements.  I'm finding that other users are searching in such places as Reddit to find means of accomplishing such simple things as changing the color of inactive tabs because it seems it can't be done with Firefox Color.  I don't understand why FireFox Color has never been improved.  May I hear thoughts and comments please?

5 REPLIES 5

jscher2000
Leader

Although the Firefox Color add-on might have some special powers, currently no add-ons can color individual background tabs -- they always have the color of the background.

I don't know whether add-ons will be given more powers in the toolbar area. It has come up from time to time but hasn't been given priority. Maybe you can find an Idea on file and vote it up, or submit a new one:

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/idb-p/ideas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Design ideas are actively discussed here, and some have a lot of support, but for some reason most of them don't reach the development stage.

Square-eyed-one
Making moves

Why would an add-on be necessary to differentiate between active and non-active tabs?

The browser already does this anyway.  So it should be a simple matter of adding to the present line (or few lines) of code which designate the colour of all tabs (plural) something like (pseudocode):

IF (tab is active) set color=(XXXXXX);  ELSE set color=(YYYYYY);

Another way of doing it might be:

IF (tab is active) set color=(get color from somewhere); ELSE set color=(get color from somewhere else); 

The "somewhere" and "somewhere else" could be simple colour settings in the Settings area, with a limited table of colour click boxes for each, coupled with an error checking line of code that throws up a querying message if the same colour is clicked for both. 

SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE, IN THE BROWSER IS ALREADY SETTING THE COLOUR!

@Square-eyed-one wrote:

SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE, IN THE BROWSER IS ALREADY SETTING THE COLOUR!

Inactive tabs have a transparent background, so their background color is the color set in the theme for the tab bar background. If you wanted to be able to set a different color for inactive tabs, then that would be require some new capabilities for themes or the Firefox Color add-on.

Thanks for your response.  Yes, a different color for inactive tabs is exactly what I would like to have.