cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook.com right click paste and copy not available

Speedynix
Making moves

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-12 074054.pngSchermafbeelding 2023-04-12 073841.png

Screenshots show the difference between Edge and Firefox in outlook.com context menu.

Why is paste not available in Firefox on outlook.com. I tried the latest version of Firefox, did a refresh, tried in troubleshoot mode, private session etc.

The only way I can get it to work is using Shift-Right click or use Ctrl V.

I am asking for an older family member who is used to just rightclick/paste. Can't find any conclusive answer on the internet. There are some threads on microsoft support pages but to no avail.

This only is happening in html mode, when i change "Compose messages in" to Plain Text this doesn't happen as it gives the standard Firefox context menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

Speedynix
Making moves

Okay, probably the only one with this problem?

same problem in all of our client ! but with chrome it's ok. In fact chorme ask to add past and copy to outlook firefox not !

I also have the same problem.  Same 'emoji' box pops up. Tried updating Firefox/refresh, etc.  Microsoft help suggested clearing cookies, etc, to no avail.  I have Win10.  IF I use Outlook live.com on Firefox, I can't copy/paste. IF I use Start/Mail in windows, which starts Outlook mail, I CAN do copy/paste the exact web info I copied and tried to paste into Firefox.

mi
Making moves

About weeks ago I could copy from a docx into Outlook Webmail opened within Firefox. Today I could not. The Outlook compose email is set to html.  However, using Crtl+Shift+V  still works. 

If I set Outlook Compose email to plain text, I CAN copy and paste into the email.

I have checked using Edge and after allowing Clipboard (within Permissions behind the Padlock symbol next to the URL) I CAN paste into an html based new email. However there is no Enable Clipboard behind the Firefox Padlock.

I would be grateful for any help on this recent problem.

us7thcav
Making moves

Today is April 27, 2023..  online  Hotmail refused to allow pasting.. using Firefox 112.0.2 (64-bit).

It does work with Chrome and edge.. Please fix..

jscher2000
Leader

I'm sure you all are familiar with the built-in right-click context menu. Many sites (including Outlook) substitute a custom menu to provide site-specific functionality. Unfortunately, they often omit items that you are used to having on the built-in menu.

As a workaround, hold down the Shift key when right-clicking, which triggers Firefox to show the built-in menu instead of the site menu. (It doesn't always work, but works on most sites.)

As for why Microsoft doesn't list clipboard functions on its customized context menu in Firefox, it may be due to privacy restrictions on the system clipboard in Firefox that don't apply in other browsers. You'd have to ask them about it.

jscher2000
Leader

@Speedynix wrote:

I am asking for an older family member who is used to just rightclick/paste.

I don't have a good workaround. Shift+right-click is the best option (or Ctrl+V). There also is a preference you can use to make sure that Firefox's menu always displays, but it tends to display in front of the site's menu, which can be confusing, and when you need a custom function from the site's menu, you need to tap the menu key (on Windows, the Alt key) to peel off Firefox's menu from in front of the site menu. If you want to test it out and see what you think:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste dom.event.contextmenu.enabled and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

My family member moved on and installed chrome 😞

@Speedynix wrote:

My family member moved on and installed chrome 😞

I'm sure Microsoft would have suggested using Edge instead.

Probably.. A shame though Firefox can't handle this code

mi
Making moves
Hi jscher2000

Thank you very much for thinking about the problem. I can make the Shift key option work which is better than before, i.e. going up to Edit etc at the top of the Firefox window.   I will look at the other option. 
I have decided to start moving some but not all of my emails away from Outlook, especially now we are getting Ads in the email received area of Outlook.

Once again. Thank you.
Mi