cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimization for Twitch

Lemu
Making moves

Good day,

Please can You optimize Firefox for twitch?

Loading twitch page always is stucked and is necessary to fresh 3 or 4 times...

1 REPLY 1

jelfes
Making moves

I definitely agree!

No matter the device I view Twitch streams on through Firefox, sometimes a page stays in a state of eternally loading (the refresh icon is an X to cancel loading rather than the "refresh circle" of a loaded page.

This has been happening for more than 8 months, as far as I know(I wasn't frequenting Twitch streams consistently before to comment about before that time period.)

This is all happening while I have the Better Twitch TV extension installed(as well as when it isn't installed or enabled) and configured to reduce the processing load on the browser. Notably, I have disabled auto-play of videos on ALL Twitch pages that aren't just an actual live stream, BUT the videos default to auto-playing and the BTTV extension will not give the "pause auto-playing video" input until the Twitch page is finished loading, which never happens due to this issue.

I encounter this issue even with all the devices running the newest Firefox version, all browser extensions disabled as well as disabling the Firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection feature, and whether I'm logged into my Twitch account, no Twitch account, or a different Twitch account. I do not have the infinite loading issue when viewing through Chrome nor with Edge. The infinite loading issue still exists when I bring my hardware to other houses with different Internet Service Providers, whether on Ethernet or wireless connections.

Our internet is being provided by a high-end ASUS router that is connected to a fiber-optic network which we receive 150Mbps on and have no other users nor programs consuming internet bandwidth. I have 3 different Windows 10 computers that I try to watch Twitch streams on Firefox on, all of very different degrees of computing power:

1.  A small fan-less tablet connected to the internet over 5GHz wifi, that can't handle streams at resolution greater than 360p without constant buffering(probably due to the hardware's weak ability to decode the stream, not a failing of Firefox's performance, really).

2.  A laptop that was high-end 10 years ago with a dedicated GPU(gtx 675m), connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable, the browser is set to use Hardware Acceleration, and Windows 10 explicitly told to use the dedicated graphics card, rather than the integrated GPU, for Firefox.

3.  And finally a very powerful desktop with an i9 10900k @ 5GHz CPU, an RTX 4090 GPU, everything in the desktop is installed and running on Samsung M.2 storage, and a decent set of 4x8GB @ 3500MHz RAM, connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable, the browser is set to use Hardware Acceleration, and Windows 10 explicitly told to use the dedicated graphics card, rather than the integrated GPU, for Firefox.

The variety of hardware here and the consistency of the problem tells me that there is some issue with how Firefox handles the loading of Twitch TV pages.